Chris Pratt will voice Mario in a new super Mario bros movie

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
An even better option: how about a good or decent Mario movie with Martinet's voice?
Because history has shown this is rarely if ever the case. It's a unicorn everyone would like to see, but the realists of us know better. Mitigate damage my tempering expectations and just be happy a Mario movie is being made more in the vein of the actual game than the atrocity that was the '90's live-action garbage. But NoooOOOooo, "it's not Mario's voice!" *in my whiney voice* Let' just all accept that this film will more than likely be forgettable at best, and not worry about the details that won't save it were they to our exacting standards.

The Sonic movie is a bit of a different case. There was no reason to make him live action in the first place.
And what's the reason for a Mario movie? I mean, what plot intrigue is there to merit an hour and a half of watching "Mario do what Mario do?" It's the same thing: a clear cash-grab monetizing a million-dollar icon, so they're going to maximize their return by casting people who movie-goers like to see.

Mario not having a character puts the casting into even starker contrast though. Again, it's not really about miscasting it's about the very blatant Hollywood fist getting jammed up in there. You take a character who doesn't even have any character and is just a mascot symbolizing simple, wholesome videogame fun... and you tack on "super cool Hollywood action star Chris Pratt. I mean, people like Chris Pratt, right? He's so COOL." If this was a parody, we'd write it off as a bit too easy of a joke.

Who knows maybe it'll work and we'll all have egg on our faces when the movie is released and turns out being fantastic, but this just gives me the same vibes as Paddington bear with a backwards cap and a skateboard, or Winnie de Pooh using gamer lingo.
The Hollywood fist up the cash hole existed from the moment they decided to make the movie. Every aspect after the fact is just the nature of the cash grab. If I'm going to get raped, I'm not going to complain when rapist doesn't take me out to dinner first.

I guess the real question becomes 'Why make a Mario movie?'
Exactly. People are complaining about the wrong thing. More specifically, ADULT people are complaining about the wrong thing seeing as the kids the movie is likely going to focused on probably don't give a shit. But the adult purest somehow feel entitled to have it exactly the way they think it should be, and were it, they'd just complain about something else. They WILL complain about something else.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And what's the reason for a Mario movie? I mean, what plot intrigue is there to merit an hour and a half of watching "Mario do what Mario do?" It's the same thing: a clear cash-grab monetizing a million-dollar icon, so they're going to maximize their return by casting people who movie-goers like to see.
It's amazing how many good or decent game to movie adaptions came out, but there was little to work with at the time.

Good or Decent:
  • Rampage
  • Fatal Fury 1 & 2
  • Warcraft - I know the story is based off the backstory of the first game, so they did have a good amount to work with.
  • Dead or Alive
Excellent or Great:
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - Still the best.
  • Mortal Kombat (1995)
  • Street Fighter - Assassin's Fists
(Un)intentional, Unofficial, or Spiritual Adaptions:
  • Double Impact is Double Dragon
  • Dog Soldiers is Resident Evil
  • Planter Terror is House of the Dead
  • Death Race is Twisted Metal
I can go on, but you get idea. Even if there is little to work with, an adaption can be doable. You're going to gain or lose something when it comes to adaptions. Hence why they're called adaptions. They have to adapt to the medium and be the best they can be. But it has to be put in the hands of someone or people that care. You can't fix carelessness.

Exactly. People are complaining about the wrong thing. More specifically, ADULT people are complaining about the wrong thing seeing as the kids the movie is likely going to focused on probably don't give a shit. But the adult purest somehow feel entitled to have it exactly the way they think it should be, and were it, they'd just complain about something else. They WILL complain about something else.
Ignore them. They ain't worth the waste of time to be upset by them. Let the babies moan and biatch for a bottle they can't have. They will look all the more foolish for it.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Mario not having a character puts the casting into even starker contrast though. Again, it's not really about miscasting it's about the very blatant Hollywood fist getting jammed up in there. You take a character who doesn't even have any character and is just a mascot symbolizing simple, wholesome videogame fun... and you tack on "super cool Hollywood action star Chris Pratt. I mean, people like Chris Pratt, right? He's so COOL." If this was a parody, we'd write it off as a bit too easy of a joke.
I think you’ve grossly mischaracterised the kind of appeal Chris Pratt has. He’s cool sure in that he seems like a cool guy, but if I think of Hollywood Cool then I think of Robert Downey Jr (to keep the comparisons in the family) or Chris Evans. Pratt is the cuddly, emotions worn on the sleeve with a bit of a sad past; I mean we are all aware that he played Star Lord as an overgrown kid most of the time right? Like line up most of Hollywood’s leading men right now and put a kiddie pool full of puppies in front of them and for my money Pratt would be first one in on that action.

And before anyone mentions his character in Jurassic World, his backstory was that of a hard man but it’s been tempered with a big dose of the Horse Whisperer. He wouldn’t last a minute under Robert Muldoon’s regime.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Not another case of allying with some human character nobody cares about.
I've seen people say something similar about humans in Transformers only for stuff like Bumblebee and Transformers Prime to have human characters that are liked by the audience just fine. Humans in Sonic are not the issue, how they are written are. It isn't like the animal characters are immune to bad writing as just about any discussion about the games since the 2010s will show. Chris Thorndyke was badly written but not because he was human and he was far from the only thing wrong with Sonic X.

Whatever happens with this Mario movie, I already know it will better than the Sonic movie. At least Mario is animated.
Given Mario's history with mediocre animated projects, I doubt that.

Also, those animators had to run through a lot of crunch just to make Sonic look right now live action version. That is something you can't just blame on the Fanboys alone. You got to blame those at top in the industry, for thinking it was such a good idea in the first place to make them look like that. What sucks even more is, after that animation studio completed their job, they all got laid off.
No arguments here. They should have gone with the officially released design first.

Truth is, I don't know what this Mario movie is going to be like and I'm indifferent to Chris Pratt. It could be better than the Sonic movie but I doubt it. It could be worse but I don't think Chris Pratt alone will be the problem.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I think you’ve grossly mischaracterised the kind of appeal Chris Pratt has. He’s cool sure in that he seems like a cool guy, but if I think of Hollywood Cool then I think of Robert Downey Jr (to keep the comparisons in the family) or Chris Evans. Pratt is the cuddly, emotions worn on the sleeve with a bit of a sad past; I mean we are all aware that he played Star Lord as an overgrown kid most of the time right? Like line up most of Hollywood’s leading men right now and put a kiddie pool full of puppies in front of them and for my money Pratt would be first one in on that action.

And before anyone mentions his character in Jurassic World, his backstory was that of a hard man but it’s been tempered with a big dose of the Horse Whisperer. He wouldn’t last a minute under Robert Muldoon’s regime.
Oh I know, but this is how Hollywood suits think. I'm sure a lot of them think 'How about Adam Sandler? The kids today like Adam Sandler, right?'

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
seen people say something similar about humans in Transformers only for stuff like Bumblebee and Transformers Prime to have human characters that are liked by the audience just fine. Humans in Sonic are not the issue, how they are written are. It isn't like the animal characters are immune to bad writing as just about any discussion about the games since the 2010s will show. Chris Thorndyke was badly written but not because he was human and he was far from the only thing wrong with Sonic X.
That's problem. A majority of the human characters are not written good. The big problem with Chris is that he became a spotlight stealing character and took over rolls that were either meant for Tails, Amy, or both. Mainly the Sonic Adventure 2 adaption. Chris Thorndyke is a glorified OC character, and he's just written poorly. He's just another generic only rich kid who thinks he has it bad or worse than anyone else. When most kids would kill to have parents like his. Yes, his parents are not around his life as often and are busy, but they don't hate him nor neglect them. They love and care for him and seeing whenever they can. He just comes off as a wangsty, selfish, brat. More selfish than Sera from the Sonic OVA for Christ's sake! You know you screwed up, when this chick has better traits and is more noble than Chris by comparison.

The only time I ever liked Chris's in the comic book adaptations of Sonic X and some fan fics. He has less of a role in the comic adaptation and didn't constantly get in the way. Even so, I remember enough that they wrote him to be less selfish.

Honestly, the Archie comics are the only ones to get human characters right in a Sonic property. Though I do admit, that I do like Topaz from Sonic X. She's pretty cool in her interactions with Rouge are hilarious. What helps is that Topaz is based off the female cop from Virtual Cop 2. So that gives me an extra soft spot for her.

Before you say anything, there have been bad written animal characters before, yes, but they usually didn't steal the spotlight like this compared to certain human characters. Though even the SatAM version was not immune to this and it's second season. That's stupid dragon. I can't even bother to remember her name. Not to mention the Archie comics had plenty of badly written animal characters too, but they were usually few and far between. Most of the time that is.

Given Mario's history with mediocre animated projects, I doubt that.
Yes, Sonic has had a better output with animated shows compared to Mario. Yet, I'm willing to give this a chance. At its worse, this movie will most likely just be average. It will have great animation and probably an average story. Like I said, it can't get any worse than the live-action Mario movie nor the live-action Sonic.

For the record, the first Mario cartoon was not that bad. It was good all things considered and what limited Lord had to work with at the time. The sequel cartoons, based off of Super Mario Bros 3 & World respectively, on the other hand are a mixed bag. Though I have not seen those in decades.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
It's amazing how many good or decent game to movie adaptions came out, but there was little to work with at the time.

Good or Decent:
  • Rampage
  • Fatal Fury 1 & 2
  • Warcraft - I know the story is based off the backstory of the first game, so they did have a good amount to work with.
  • Dead or Alive
Excellent or Great:
  • Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie - Still the best.
  • Mortal Kombat (1995)
  • Street Fighter - Assassin's Fists
(Un)intentional, Unofficial, or Spiritual Adaptions:
  • Double Impact is Double Dragon
  • Dog Soldiers is Resident Evil
  • Planter Terror is House of the Dead
  • Death Race is Twisted Metal
I can go on, but you get idea. Even if there is little to work with, an adaption can be doable. You're going to gain or lose something when it comes to adaptions. Hence why they're called adaptions. They have to adapt to the medium and be the best they can be. But it has to be put in the hands of someone or people that care. You can't fix carelessness.

Ignore them. They ain't worth the waste of time to be upset by them. Let the babies moan and biatch for a bottle they can't have. They will look all the more foolish for it.

I wouldn't list the Dead or Alive movie as good or decent. It's not even based on a game that had a good or decent plot. I agree with most of your list but I haven't seen Rampage or Warcraft so I'll take your word for it.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I wouldn't list the Dead or Alive movie as good or decent. It's not even based on a game that had a good or decent plot. I agree with most of your list but I haven't seen Rampage or Warcraft so I'll take your word for it.
I love Warcraft. That movie was made with much, much love. Perhaps a little too much, but love none the less.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I'm surprised some long lost footage of Pratt doing an amazing Mario impression hasn't popped up. I just can't imagine Mario speaking like Andy Dwyer...

I am curious though, for the Mario fans out there, do yall even actually give a shit about this? I personally don't see the franchise having any appeal from a narrative or cinematic perspective. But then I'm not at all familiar with most Nintendo products.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't get me wrong. The movie ain't perfect, but it set out what it wanted to do. The movie has a lot of fan service just like the game. The only difference is that it's all ass shots. Other than that, the fight scenes are actually pretty decent. The movie is at least entertaining and I never felt bored watching it. The Dead or Alive movie is still better than than most of the video game adaptions from the 90s and 2000s. The first Silent Hill movie might be better, there were plenty of changes I disagreed with.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I love Warcraft. That movie was made with much, much love. Perhaps a little too much, but love none the less.
I would happily take too much love over no love nor care at all. I say this and I am not even a Warcraft fan. That's problem with a majority game to movie adaptions. A lot of them lack the most basic attention nor care.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
An even better option: how about a good or decent Mario movie with Martinet's voice?
Honestly, I don't think it would work. He has a great voice for videogame bites, but I don't think he could carry a whole movie with it. Besides, we don't need 100% accurate voices, especially for characters like Toad;

Anyway, if I had to guess, probably gonna sound a bit like Fix-It Felix from Wreck It Ralph, but more importantly is I just don't see a plot here. Are they just going to do a standard "Bowser kidnap" story, something like out of the RPGs or are they going the Lego Movie route and we get everything? And even then this is assuming that it takes place completely in the games without any sort of real world nonsense like the Sonic movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, I don't think it would work. He has a great voice for videogame bites, but I don't think he could carry a whole movie with it. Besides, we don't need 100% accurate voices, especially for characters like Toad;
Dudes a talented guy, I know he can pull it off. No one is asking for Toad. They give him to some other voice actor and I would not care.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm surprised some long lost footage of Pratt doing an amazing Mario impression hasn't popped up. I just can't imagine Mario speaking like Andy Dwyer...

I am curious though, for the Mario fans out there, do yall even actually give a shit about this? I personally don't see the franchise having any appeal from a narrative or cinematic perspective. But then I'm not at all familiar with most Nintendo products.
I grew up playing NES/SNES and while I haven't played all the mainline Mario games(I only started playing Galaxy and Sunshine last year) I've played plenty. I also watched the Live action film in the theater as a kid(and I knew it was bad then).

My feeling on this is that I don't really care. It's gonna be aimed at the kiddo demographic and it might be entertaining for adults like the Lego Movie was(or at least it was for me) or it might be something you put on for your kids to keep them occupied for 90 minutes like the Minions film.(I didn't think Minions is bad but I didn't find anything engaging about it either).

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Funny how upon the reveal, i was okay with litteraly all casting choices for this(yes, even Seth Rogen), most undoubtedly based on "who's popular and recognizable", EXCEPT Chriss Pratt. The most "pick the popoular one" of them.