Christopher Dorner first drone target on U.S. soil.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed the government's fear that Dorner will make a dash for the Mexican border. The fugitive has already killed three people, according to police, and has a $1 million bounty on his head. Dorner, who has military training, is believed to be hiding in the wilderness of California's San Bernardino Mountains, where locating him without air support may be all but impossible.
Credit: http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

Welcome to the days of Government executions my fellow Americans. In what way is it just for them to kill a man with out a fair trial? It's clear now the LAPD and the Government don't want to do the lawful thing and capture Dorner alive, they want a body. Murderer or not, Dorner is still a United States citizen and is entitled to a trial.

Your thoughts, Escapist?

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed the government's fear that Dorner will make a dash for the Mexican border. The fugitive has already killed three people, according to police, and has a $1 million bounty on his head. Dorner, who has military training, is believed to be hiding in the wilderness of California's San Bernardino Mountains, where locating him without air support may be all but impossible.
Credit: http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

Welcome to the days of Government executions my fellow Americans. In what way is it just for them to kill a man with out a fair trial? It's clear now the LAPD and the Government don't want to do the lawful thing and capture Dorner alive, they want a body. Murderer or not, Dorner is still a United States citizen and is entitled to a trial.

Your thoughts, Escapist?
Pretty sure this belongs in Religion and Politics.

As for your post, you seem to be implying that killing citizens without trial is something new for the American government.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I'll admit I only skimmed the article but does it say anywhere that they are using the Drone to specifically kill him? Maybe they're just going to use it to track him down.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Looks to me like they are using the drones thermal imaging from reading the article, I'm guessing the payload is just the camera not a hellfire missile. Remember this guy has warned that he has a shoulder fired surface to air missile in case they come at him with a helicopter, so a drone is probably the best thing.

Want me to move your thread to Politics forum?

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Original source focuses more on the finding him via drone then killing him, so so far not the hugest of deals. Still some wonderful non-answers quoted though.

Bebop

Apr 22, 2012
DigitalSushi said:
Looks to me like they are using the drones thermal imaging from reading the article, I'm guessing the payload is just the camera not a hellfire missile. Remember this guy has warned that he has a shoulder fired surface to air missile in case they come at him with a helicopter, so a drone is probably the best thing.

Is this really considered a politics thread? I imagined it more as an informative thread. Eh, I guess he does mention the Government in the first post.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Bebop said:
DigitalSushi said:

Is this really considered a politics thread? I imagined it more as an informative thread. Eh, I guess he does mention the Government in the first post.
Yeah I guess your right, ultimately its up to the OP if he wants it moved.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Soviet Steve said:
As for your post, you seem to be implying that killing citizens without trial is something new for the American government.
This wins this year's "Best way to start a thread" prize! Wee! :D

OT:

I don't find the drones themselves that interesting, I'm just waiting to see what happens in the investigation to the corruption claims (that is hopefully done) after this manhunt is over.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
So long as this is intended for surveillance only and this doesn't set some kind of privacy destroying precedent, I am cool with it. Though it'd be kind of funny if he shot down a drone. How much money do those things cost?

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Fappy said:
So long as this is intended for surveillance only and this doesn't set some kind of privacy destroying precedent, I am cool with it. Though it'd be kind of funny if he shot down a drone. How much money do those things cost?
What's the difference between a from drone mounted camera and the currently operated helicopter cameras?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Dijkstra said:
Also, yes it is perfectly fine to kill someone without a trial when they're demonstrably trying to kill people.
Questionable. In active self-defense, when one must shoot to survive and is currently being shot at? Yes. In hunting a fugitive where they can be brought in for trial? No.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Hmm. If this drone is only being used for tracking, is this guy really the first US citizen to be tracked this way? I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but it seems like this method of searching for a fugitive would've been used before.

Well, I suppose I'd rather hear that to be the case over the government potentially drone striking a US citizen without trial.

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Well, your version seems to indicate the use of the missiles, but the article would indicate that they're just using the camera.

Since guided missiles are really expensive, I'm more inclined to believe the latter.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well first off, I agree with most people in here in stating that this sounds like the drone is not The Terminator; it is being used to try to find the guy:

Quote from your own source:
A senior police source told the Express, ?The thermal imaging cameras the drones use may be our only hope of finding him. On the ground, it?s like looking for a needle in a haystack.?

Also, type "Drone hunting christopher Dorner" into Google news and half of the reports are saying this is happening and the other half are saying that it is not happening. Everyone has conflicting reports with everyone else.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Implying the "Land of the free" haven't been violating human rights for years.

Right.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
SanAndreasSmoke said:
Hmm. If this drone is only being used for tracking, is this guy really the first US citizen to be tracked this way? I'm no expert on this kind of thing, but it seems like this method of searching for a fugitive would've been used before.
From the article:
In 2011, a North Dakota county sheriff used a drone to stalk three alleged cow thieves.
Tracking cow thieves with a drone... and that's not even in the South.
Although where does a county sheriff even get this stuff?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Pinkamena said:
Implying the "Land of the free" haven't been violating human rights for years.

Right.
Apparently the Native Americans don't count, along with the African slaves. But they probably weren't paying taxes so arseholes to them! Right? Anyway, that is the past it's not like the USA had some kind of torture camp in Cuba for political prisoners. Oh, damn. Well Cuba doesn't count...

Enough 'Murica-bashing, back to the thread! Seems to me like 'hunt' means 'look for' not 'murderise'. Apparently some cow rustlers have already been tracked using drones on US soil too (according to the OP's link).

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
See headline of article. Don't read article. Get outraged. Post on forum. Link to article. Forum goers actually read article. OP's face and egg are in alignment.