Christopher Dorner first drone target on U.S. soil.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
Bah ... this guy's an amateur. Check out Malcolm Naden. 7 years in the Aussie bush - considering most people wouldn't last 7 days.

Hell this dude'll be dead by the time they find him I suspect. Heavy armaments != survival skills. That's something US Survivalists need to learn.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Coppernerves said:
Burst6 said:
Coppernerves said:
DigitalSushi said:
*snio*

I'd like to point out another advantage over a manned helicopter: If he points a missile at it, they won't have to shoot him to stop him from killing the pilot.

So epic win!
But then again they are picking out thermal images, and this is the LAPD we're talking about. The same people who managed to confuse two hispanic women and a white guy as a 6'2 bald black man. I feel sorry for anyone taking a hike in the mountains.
I had no idea LAPD was like that.

Is it true they've got an SMG with two barrels, two magazine wells, and a mechanism to make the second barrel fire between the times the first barrel fires?

Do they just blame their failures on not having Batmans' gadgets?
Most of my knowledge is from just recently looking at sources i picked off of reddit. I'm too lazy to give the sources of these, but they shouldn't be too hard to find. They're fairly recent. In one two LAPD officers unloaded on a blue toyota pickup that had two women who were delivering newspapers. They said it looked similar to dorners car, which was a large gray nissan pickup. In the other they shot at a white man while he was driving in the same neighborhood as a person the LAPD were protecting. Their excuse was "he was coming right for us" i believe. They rammed him and unloaded.

As for the SMG, considering several officers unloaded multiple clips into the cars of the people i just talked about and none of them died, i think the LAPD needs it.

It's not that the LAPD is blaming their failures on anything, they're just incredibly corrupt.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
You haven't heard the uproar over killing Anwar Al-Awlaki and his son? Both were still U.S. citizens when they were killed in drone strikes. Eric Holder (current U.S. Attorney general. May have heard of him from " Operation Fast and Furious" debacle) even told people "The Constitution guarantees due process, not judicial process."

Yea...the U.S.A has been steady going downhill for awhile now. The thing to remember is to be loyal to ideals, not governments.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
The thing that bothers me about this is the slippery slope[footnote]internet logicians, don't start. It may be a technical fallacy, but it's a practical reality.[/footnote]. This is the kind of case that ends up being, er, "solved," by a SWAT sniper, and with good reason. Using a drone in a case like this, especially just to search for the guy, is probably justified. The problem comes in when they're not just being used for these exceptional cases, and I can guarantee that it will happen, sooner or later.

Jan 29, 2009
It's a reconnaissance drone, isn't it? It's no different than a surveillance camera with rotors. What I don't understand is how they expect to find one particular guy in a 3 million person city...

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
If someone is killed by a cop because they pose a risk to life, no one gets upset. They can be a citizen, with the right to a trial, but when it is a drone attack everyone gets upset. I don't think drones are a good idea, I just don't think this is a good argument. People are killed all the time by the police, many with good reason.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
albino boo said:
What's the difference between a from drone mounted camera and the currently operated helicopter cameras?
The biggest difference is that in doing so, you no longer have to worry about people getting killed by the SAM the fugitive is reportedly lugging around.

Platypus540

May 11, 2011
They don't seem to be authorizing a drone strike, it sounds like they're using the drone for thermal imaging to track him.

Edit: Besides, we *know* that this guy has killed several people and is very heavily armed. It's safer to kill him with a robot than to send a SWAT team or something and risk policemen getting killed.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Enemy UAV in the air.

I'm having a difficult time not rooting for the guy, while he went about justice the entirely wrong way, his intentions were good in the beginning. I think. Too bad I'm not in the area, a cool mil? Let me get my Fett helmet and jetpack....

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
Platypus540 said:
They don't seem to be authorizing a drone strike, it sounds like they're using the drone for thermal imaging to track him.

Edit: Besides, we *know* that this guy has killed several people and is very heavily armed. It's safer to kill him with a robot than to send a SWAT team or something and risk policemen getting killed.
Safer yes, but also incredibly unethical. Its a thin line, I know. But I believe that if no lives are in direct danger, lethal force should not be used. But by all means, use it to find him.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
It's a reconnaissance drone, isn't it? It's no different than a surveillance camera with rotors. What I don't understand is how they expect to find one particular guy in a 3 million person city...
He's in the California wilderness, not Los Angeles.

There isn't any information if the drone is armed or even what drone they are using.

Also just because the New Zealand government uses Lockheed P-3 Orion's to combat illegal fishing

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/4860317/Nth-Korean-boats-blacklisted-for-illegal-fishing

doesn't necessary mean that they sink fishing vessels with them.

The same logic could be applied to this scenario.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I love how Americans only get pissed off when it's Americans being targeted by drones.

Armed drones target people all around the world? Eh, no big, they're just dirty foreigners. Recon drone used to search for murder suspect on the run? THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!

Hey, I'm not a citizen of the USA, so clearly I'd be less entitled to a trail or any of that jazz.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Its a cop threatening to kill other cops. Said cops also recently riddled a truck with bullets who they thought was "Christopher Dorner", a 6'2" 200+ black man. The truck wasn't his, it was in fact being driven by a very old Vietnamese woman. Doesn't matter though, they riddled the truck with dozens of bullets, I don't know if she was killed or was injured.

I honestly don't give a fuck about the two warring factions in this scenario, either Chris Dorner or the LAPD, seriously who gives a shit.

I care that they'll use any excuse to target anyone or do anything they please, but complaining about it on the internet doesn't seem to stop their insane rampages or blatant disregard for humanity, so yea. Have fun shooting each other fellas.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
I love how Americans only get pissed off when it's Americans being targeted by drones.

Armed drones target people all around the world? Eh, no big, they're just dirty foreigners. Recon drone used to search for murder suspect on the run? THE END TIMES ARE UPON US!

Hey, I'm not a citizen of the USA, so clearly I'd be less entitled to a trail or any of that jazz.
It's more that drones are associated with warfare, and they're being used on US soil. For the same reason that 9/11 was a big deal, people take it very personally when they feel the fight has 'brought to us'. Some people might/do see this as the US waging war against itself, despite Dorner only being one man.

There's also the fact that the LAPD has been firing on civilians in the search for Dorner.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
It's official: The drone war has come home to America. Wanted fugitive Christopher Dorner, the homicidal former cop currently at war with the LAPD, has become the first known human target for airborne drones on U.S. soil. Their use was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed the government's fear that Dorner will make a dash for the Mexican border. The fugitive has already killed three people, according to police, and has a $1 million bounty on his head. Dorner, who has military training, is believed to be hiding in the wilderness of California's San Bernardino Mountains, where locating him without air support may be all but impossible.
Credit: http://now.msn.com/christopher-dorner-is-first-drone-target-on-us-soil

Welcome to the days of Government executions my fellow Americans. In what way is it just for them to kill a man with out a fair trial? It's clear now the LAPD and the Government don't want to do the lawful thing and capture Dorner alive, they want a body. Murderer or not, Dorner is still a United States citizen and is entitled to a trial.

Your thoughts, Escapist?
Okay, just from reading not even past the first sentance of the article, I can see you're completely wrong...

They are using the drones to Find him. There was no mention of them using the drones to kill him. Lets wait until they do use drones to kill him without trial to start calling out "its 1984" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four]...

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Haven't the police been using drones for surveillance and pursuit more and more over the past few years? This definitely isn't the first...

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
As many have said before, none of the sources of this article say that the drone is being used with the intention of killing him.

Secondly, even if it was, who cares? The only reason you SHOULD care is if there's collateral damage involved. This guy's killed 3 cops. When you do that, I think you give up your right to a trial. It's not like this guy's SUSPECTED of murdering 3 people--he DID murder 3 people. He even sent out a manifesto. He's just shy of being a serial killer. And no, I'm not condoning just gunning down criminals (because I know someone's gonna say that), but if given the choice between this guy assassinating another cop or killing him with a drone and no trial, I'll take the drone. Every. Single. Time.

Edit: after looking over some sources, it looks like ha MAY'VE murdered those people. I thought I read there was concrete proof. Apparently not. So... disregard. It WOULD be wrong to murder this man with a drone.

:)