Chrono Trigger

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
Okay, so my second favourite game of all time is Chrono Cross. I just loved that game, I played it non stop along with the spyro games on my PS1. However, for one reason or another I never played Chrono Trigger. I guess I just thought that I'd be greatly disappointed if it wasn't as good as my favourite game at the time, plus I didn't have my SNES.

I just want to know, is it worth me now getting the Chrono Trigger remake for DS? Also, which did you enjoy more, Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger?
I played both games, liked them both, but I'd have to say Trigger was the superior. Most important thing right now is DO NOT start with the DS version. Find a way to either get the SNES version or the PSX version (released as half of Final Fantasy Chronicles, other half being Final Fantasy IV, my favorite in that series). The original was as good as it needed to be, and the PSX port didn't change that, it just added a few nice extras. The DS version however cut Trigger open and spliced in bits of WoW and Pokemon that just don't work with the way the rest of the game plays.

EDIT: Most awesome group is Ayla, Crono, Robo. Ayla has strongest 1e attack, Charm (stealing), and a decent heal tech, Crono has second strongest 1e tech, best ae tech and one of only two revival techs, Robo has very good (better than Frog) 1e and ae techs, and Heal Beam can pretty much cover you for healing.

1e = one enemy
ae = all enemies

SECOND EDIT: For my least favorite character in this game...
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.199404-Surprisingly-Useless-Characters?page=1

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I also just started playing the DS version this week, and I have to say, what the hell happened to JPRGs?

I can't believe they used to be this good. I know I played CT back in the day, and I've always loved it, but after shitty JRPG after shitty JRPG, it's hard to remember that the genre ever was good.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I liked them both, I played Cross first and I still like it more, but Trigger was still a great game. If you see it for cheap get it, if it's still expensive pass until it goes down in price.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
i never actually played much of chrono cross, but chrono trigger was pretty good. i played it to death.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I humbly submit that Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time. Seriously if you liked Chrono Cross I strongly urge you to play Chrono Trigger.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
BUY IT! Chrono Trigger is fucking awesome, I promise that you will love it. I also recommend that you get the DS version as you plan to, it is by far the best version.

Drakulla

May 19, 2009
I played Chrono Cross on the PS1 before I played Chrono Trigger. Chrono Cross was awesome so I was sure Chrono Trigger would be great as well so I bought it on the DS and I'm happy I did. Its awesome.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Its not cross, but my god trigger is a fantastic game.

I MIGHT PLAY IT NOW.

SORRY HONEY, GET OFF THE TV, IM BOOTIN UP THE HACKED WII

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I love Chrono Trigger. It may not be what you're expecting if you played Chrono Cross, but it's worth playing. One of the best DS games out there.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
See?

It's all a matter of what you played first!
Seems that way from most of this thread, but I guess I'm weird. I played CT first and thought it was well done, but it didn't really grab me like games I really like do. It did almost everything well, and it influenced a bunch of JRPGs that came after it, but it never really felt like it had its own personality to me.

I played CC later on, when it was new, and I liked it a lot more (although not nearly as much as LoM, which I played around the same time). It didn't do as many things quite as well as CT did, and it wasn't quite as widely well-received, but I really liked the things about it that it did do well (particularly some of the music).

So I guess I'm one of those weirdos who played them in the order they came out yet still likes CC more than CT. They really barely have any connection to each other at all, though, when it comes down to it. They're both JRPGs, and there's a sort of half-assed attempt to loosely tie the stories together, but 99% of the stuff in each one has nothing to do with anything in the other.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I would recommend you give it a try, but you must bear in mind one thing. Chrono Trigger and Crono Cross bear only a very loose association to each other. In fact it would probably be more accurate to call Crono Cross a spin-off of Chrono Trigger rather than a sequel as it is officially billed as. As you no doubt found out yourself, you can play Cross without ever having played Trigger and still not feel like your missing anything. Personally I was very disappointed with Chrono Cross as a sequel, but as I tell everyone every time I say that, I still found it to be a very enjoyable game despite that.
Also the graphics of Chrono Trigger are going to seem rather dated by current standards even in the DS remake, 'cause the didn't upgrade them, but the story is still one of the best I've ever encountered in a video game and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
See?

I played CC later on, when it was new, and I liked it a lot more (although not nearly as much as LoM, which I played around the same time). It didn't do as many things quite as well as CT did, and it wasn't quite as widely well-received, but I really liked the things about it that it did do well (particularly some of the music).
Legend of Mana...I love Legend of Mana...

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
warrcry13 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Well, as a Cross fan myself, finally playing Trigger left me bitterly disappointed, tainting my opinion on the game. The two games are alike in name only.

Trigger is a fine game, but if you're going in expecting ANYTHING similar to Cross, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I mean...Trigger doesn't have Greco, the psychic luchadore detective thing.

I played Chrono Trigger and loved it. I bought cross, expecting it to be like Trigger, it was upsetting.
See?

Ah! Not so! I eagerly awaited both Chrono games and played both when they were freshly released (Trigger thanks to my bro getting the game, since I was only 13 at the time, had a job by the time Cross came out). Despite that though, I prefer Chrono Cross.

Though I suppose you can call me the exception that proves the rule, since I'll admit I'm of the minority who played Trigger first but prefers Cross. But how could I not? Great environments, interesting battle system, fantastic music, creepy story... same reasons why Xenogears is still my fave RPG over-all, now that I think about it... >.>

Edit: Oh right, as for the original question: Basically what everyone's been saying. By all means get Chrono Trigger (the DS version is as close as you'll get to the SNES version, though the new areas are kinda awkward, like they designed them at the last minute or something). Both Trigger and Cross are fantastic jRPGs, they just play very differently.

Also of note is that Chrono Cross was designed to be more of a spin-off title than actual sequel, so while Chrono Tigger will sort of provide some back story to how the events of Chrono Cross got started, the two have very unrelated stories otherwise.