Cigarettes and you.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Specter_ said:
VitalSigns said:
"oh you smoke, that's bad for you"
Same as the vegetarian-thread:

Leave me alone and I won't bother you.
If you don't like me smoking near you, get the fuck away from me.

uhh, if you read it, you would see i'm a cigarette smoker.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
Its most likely a superiority thing.
By telling somebody that what they are doing is wrong and bad for them, conversly you are making yourself feel better because you don't do it?

I dunno. I don't like smoking, but I've never actually told anyone off about it, though there have been a few occasions where I really should have (e.g. pre-smoking-ban crowded small places, and somebody lights up).

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
Psh I don't tell smokers that smoking is bad for them, I tell them it's bad for me. I'm not going to pretend to be nice.

Specter_

Dec 24, 2008
VitalSigns said:
Specter_ said:
VitalSigns said:

What I was getting at was the "non-smoker pestering smokers":
Leave me alone, I leave you alone. Bother me, then I bother you. And I personally have no problem with blowing smoke in someones face to make them go away (I also have no problem with letting the smoudlering remains of my cig fly in their general direction or dropping some ash in their drinks and stuff like that. That is, of course, in case they did not leave me alone.)

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Specter_ said:
VitalSigns said:
Specter_ said:
VitalSigns said:

What I was getting at was the "non-smoker pestering smokers":
Leave me alone, I leave you alone. Bother me, then I bother you. And I personally have no problem with blowing smoke in someones face to make them go away (I also have no problem with letting the smoudlering remains of my cig fly in their general direction or dropping some ash in their drinks and stuff like that. That is, of course, in case they did not leave me alone.)
Easy tough guy.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Smokers are disgusting.

If you see someone drinking in the middle of the street in the afternoon, when people are about, they're deemed unfit to be in society and are treated as people with a problem. Smoker's then don't see why smoking in the same circumstance attracts them ire, even though smoking's actually worse since it actually affects people around you with your disgusting second-hand smoke, and not to mention the god awful stench of a smoker.

I mean, I'm all for people doing whatever to their bodies and stuff, but you should keep to that crap in private. If you couldn't bare to go 9 hours or so without a fag then frankly, the rest of society shouldn't have to put up with your god-awful fumes so they're entitled to mock and belittle your addict-ass.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
Second hand smoke is over exaggerated.

Drinking in public is unfit because drunk people are sporadic and unpredictable.

I believe no one is entitled to belittle anyone.

puppydogvaan

Mar 26, 2009
Geez...I never do anything rude to people. I never blow smoke at someone or drop ash on them, and I still get a hard time sometimes.

I do recall one time at a club, when some girl in the group was with was like, hey, don't smoke around me, I'm really allergic to smoke. Out loud I'm like, okay, I'll be sure to turn my head. Inside, I'm like, wtf are you doing in this club??? The air is thick with smoke, I can barely see!

I hate when someone comes over while I'm lighting up and then is like, can you turn your head? I'm always, sure, but why did you sit downwind of me?

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
I wouldn't tell anyone to stop, because I realise that it is their choice, but I have to hold my breath when I walk past someone with a lit cigarette. I find the smell repulsive and break out in fits of coughing if I smell it.

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
Darkside360 said:
The only time I tell people to stop smoking is if they are in my house or car. Other than that I don't care. Just don't blow it my way.
i'm a smoker and i don't even allow it in my house. /:

la-le-lu-li-lo

Jun 1, 2009
all my friends are smokers, and i hang out with people at coffee shops,
and so of course they all smoke too. i mean, duh, coffee & cigarettes is
a match made in heaven. a rather unhealthy pair, but whatevs.

i don't even remember the last time i got bothered about smoking. i'm very
conscious of those around me, and make sure not to blow it in their faces.

:D

btw, for all the smokers. what's your brand of choice?

curious to see what kind of weird brands people smoke.

manicfoot

Apr 16, 2008
Smoking seriously grosses me out :S probably because my parents smoked around me a lot when I was a kid. Just can't stand watching someone smoke or smelling it. I don't judge anyone for doing it though. I'm aware that my intolerance of it is a tad irrational :p

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
I don't tell peeps off for it, since if they don't know the risks, then quite frankly, they don't deserve to grace the human population. [I mean, what, they didn't get it from the signs plastered EVERYWHERE?]. Also, since I can't handle the smell of smoke, [makes me feel ill, as well as just being generally nasty] and I always seem to end up with a face full of it when I'm near a smoker, I wouldn't have a chance to give the warning in any case.
Smoking has to be one of my few turn offs. :/

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
la-le-lu-li-lo said:
all my friends are smokers, and i hang out with people at coffee shops,
and so of course they all smoke too. i mean, duh, coffee & cigarettes is
a match made in heaven. a rather unhealthy pair, but whatevs.

i don't even remember the last time i got bothered about smoking. i'm very
conscious of those around me, and make sure not to blow it in their faces.

:D

btw, for all the smokers. what's your brand of choice?

curious to see what kind of weird brands people smoke.
Belmonts, Sooooo smooth

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You feel the right to smoke and I feel the right tell you I fuckin' hate it, if you don't like that, then don't come near me with a lit smoke.

A simple philosophy I live my life by.

Gooble

May 9, 2008
It depends on what type of person's doing it, what situation it's in and whether there are any children/babies in the vicinity. And also whether I have the courage to say something. If you're minding yor own business or like standing in a smoker-designated area then that's fine but if you're being loud or obnoxious or with aforementioned kids then I would definitely like to say something to you.

Woem

May 28, 2009
VitalSigns said:
don't pretend people say these things cause they care we all know thats Bullshit.
Why would you assume that? My wife's father died of lung cancer caused by smoking. It was a 3 year struggle that teared apart her family. She was 25 at the time and that's a tough age to lose a parent.

Smoking is bad, and it's not just bad for you but for the people that care for you as well.

VitalSigns

May 20, 2009
woem said:
VitalSigns said:
don't pretend people say these things cause they care we all know thats Bullshit.
Why would you assume that? My wife's father died of lung cancer caused by smoking. It was a 3 year struggle that teared apart her family. She was 25 at the time and that's a tough age to lose a parent.

Smoking is bad, and it's not just bad for you but for the people that care for you as well.
I feel for your loss, There is a huge difference between some guy at work telling me, and my mom or little sister telling me.

lykopis783

Jul 17, 2008
As with just about everything else in life, I like to go with the philosophy that if you can accept the consequences, then go for it.