"Cinematic"

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
shrekfan246 said:
CaitSeith said:
Piorn said:
Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".
It's just nothing to be proud of, and certainly nothing to advertize.
Then why don't they make their videogames to run at 24 fps?
Obviously because as long as they're not at 24 FPS yet, they can continue to make nebulous claims about their games becoming "more cinematic".

Once they reach 24, they're just "cinematic". Then what could they aspire to?
Maybe to make it look like a game: The Order: 1886 runs at 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good" [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-runs-at-30fps-because-24fps-doesn-t-feel-good/1100-6419888/]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
CaitSeith said:
shrekfan246 said:
CaitSeith said:
Piorn said:
Well, technically, 30fps is closer to the cinema's 24fps, so you could call it "cinematic".
It's just nothing to be proud of, and certainly nothing to advertize.
Then why don't they make their videogames to run at 24 fps?
Obviously because as long as they're not at 24 FPS yet, they can continue to make nebulous claims about their games becoming "more cinematic".

Once they reach 24, they're just "cinematic". Then what could they aspire to?
Maybe to make it look like a game: The Order: 1886 runs at 30fps because 24fps doesn't "feel good" [http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-order-1886-runs-at-30fps-because-24fps-doesn-t-feel-good/1100-6419888/]
Pshaw, why would they want a game to look and feel like a game? That would be counter-intuitive to the past fifteen years or so of them trying to be movies.

(For the record, I am being facetious.)

warmachine

Hating everyone equally
Legacy
Nov 28, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone bought that BS that 30 FPS is more cinematic?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
TripleDaddy said:
That is not a slide projector. That is an overhead projector.
THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one who caught that.

We'll know games are officially cinematic when they rake in awards for being super depressing to their players to the point of wanting to kill themselves. Whether or not they make enough money.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Who wants a cinematic experience?

If I wanted a cinematic experience playing Assassin's Creed, I'd demand a 24 fps game... and also ask my friends to sit behind me, talking on their cellphone, have babies cry at random intervals, have one guy heckle the film, and demand 30 minutes of trailers before I'm allowed to play the game.

"Cinematic" video games can go die in a fire. I just want the best, most responsive video games you can permit.

... Which I find even more interesting considering Peter Jackson champions faster frame rates for films than what Assassin Creed IV will provide.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Paulhorne Schillings said:
*instantly wants to play any game, Zoetrope edition*

$5, for someone that can create a video game completely in Zoetrope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoetrope#Forza.2FFilmspeed
That was done.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
It's hard to take gamers seriously when they say "We care more about gameplay and story" when they raise such a stink about 30 fps.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
irishda said:
It's hard to take gamers seriously when they say "We care more about gameplay and story" when they raise such a stink about 30 fps.
FPS affects gameplay.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Take it a step further. Make it a giant art museum, and every possible button press is represented by a painting. That you have to walk to. Like you'll have a big book full of button press combinations that tells you which painting to go to, and you have to look up the button press every time.

If that's not the pinnacle of the art of cinema, I don't know what is.

RealRT said:
irishda said:
FPS affects gameplay.
No, it doesn't. Video game controllers use an interrupt-based scheme rather than having the console constantly read the controller. So low FPS only becomes a problem when the displayed image falls behind the actual state of the game in the console's memory, that is, when there ceases to be a continuous flow between displayed images. Generally speaking, the point at which the human brain ceases to see sequences of separate images and starts to see a continuous movement is between 15 and 20 FPS.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Fun fact: Rumor has it that cinematic 24 fps was too slow to properly capture Bruce Lee's punches. They had to either over crank the camera or ask him to slow down. It's probably just a myth, but either way, video games need to stop trying to be like a different creative industry, especially one that usually embraces new technology the wrong way (CGI for basic sets and receding hairlines ) and won't let go of old, date tech and ideals (24fps).

If video games worked when treated as another medium, we have more games like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace or text only games reminiscent of those "choose your own adventure" books. Averting things like Nintendo's stubborn desire to make us read walls of text in Legend of Zelda's cutscenes (even in the spinoffs) is the only absolutely acceptable "cinematic" approach.
Trishbot said:
Who wants a cinematic experience?

If I wanted a cinematic experience playing Assassin's Creed, I'd demand a 24 fps game... and also ask my friends to sit behind me, talking on their cellphone, have babies cry at random intervals, have one guy heckle the film, and demand 30 minutes of trailers before I'm allowed to play the game.

"Cinematic" video games can go die in a fire. I just want the best, most responsive video games you can permit.

... Which I find even more interesting considering Peter Jackson champions faster frame rates for films than what Assassin Creed IV will provide.
Add "The the film doesn't start on time or the wrong film starts playing because the projectionist was told to go do something else that could have been done by any of the numerous extra employees or management wouldn't leave him/her alone about someone he had already confirmed with them several times," "having a drink or snack requires taking out a loan or wearing baggie clothing and copious amounts of duct tape," and "not being able to pause to take a wiz," to your list. Also, technical issues could count, but our TVs could also spontaneously detonate, too.

The "cinematic experience" in general can suffer eternal hellfire, for all I care.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
Whenever someone uses the the word "cinematic" in gaming it irks me. A movie is a movie and games are games. That's like replacing the cutscenes with walls of text explaining what happened, that way it's more like a book.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I wonder if Peter Jackson realises that his high frame rate versions of the Hobbit films are the least cinematic films of all time.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
renegade7 said:
Generally speaking, the point at which the human brain ceases to see sequences of separate images and starts to see a continuous movement is between 15 and 20 FPS.
Yes, but the movement is choppy (like slow-motion with a strobe light). Low-end PCs suffer from this because they haven't enough power to render the frames at the required speed (so it skips some frames or else it goes slow-motion), and can make the game painful to play.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
When will the people learn that a movie frame doesn't behave the same way as a videogame frame?

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
TheMatsjo said:
Who are these mythical people that swallow this scoop of bullshit? They certainly don't seem to hang around at The Escapist. Are we sure it's not just a matter of not having a choice between 30 and 60 fps on these titles?
Oh, they're real alright. There's plenty of them running around on Youtube, claiming that the human eye can't perceive anything above 24 FPS and whatnot. Unfortunately they're often backed up by the "I don't care what FPS my game is" crowd, who are missing the main point that Ubisoft shouldn't be bullshitting everyone to hide the fact that the new consoles aren't as fantastic as everyone thought they would be.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
McMarbles said:
Now I'm picturing Assassins' Creed as a '20s silent film.

*flickery B&W shot of Ezio perched on a building. A bystander spots him*

Caption: GOOD HEAVENS! A HOODED FIEND!

*The Keystone Kops pursue Ezio*
2nd player required for soundtrack.
*Pianola sold seperately.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
CaitSeith said:
When will the people learn that a movie frame doesn't behave the same way as a videogame frame?
Good looking motion blur is not really a problem any more with the graphics power we have now ... but in the end 24 fps (at 72 Hz) sucks at representing moving images, it's a juddery blurred mess. The best you can do is tweak between really juddery and a little blurred and a little juddery and really blurred.

We just still have a sense to want something better in games ... while we have internalized the suckiness of cinema as the way it's supposed to be.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
Am I the only one that dislikes the intensive blurriness during action scenes in cinema? Where you can't tell what's going on because the camera is jerking around and barely keeping the characters centered?