Civilization: Beyond Earth Screenshots Leaked - Update

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Civilization: Beyond Earth Screenshots Leaked - Update

Leaked Civilization: Beyond Earth screenshots show the franchise tackling the final frontier.

Update: It's official! Check out the official launch trailer here:

Original Story: Data diggers over at French gaming website [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800661]. It appears to be an upcoming gaming in Firaxis's Civilization franchise, that takes the popular simulator into outer space. The article also claims that the game will release as early as this Autumn. It certainly looks very legit, and it seems like it would be a logical step for the franchise. First up, let's take a look at the images in question:

[gallery=2330]

Furthermore, a translation of the original French article claims that the game is somewhat of a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri, with the player setting out to colonize distant worlds. In Beyond Earth players will still build terrestrial cities and infrastructure like they are used to, but will expand to other planets as the game progresses.

Alien planets will of course have their own native life, that will function somewhat like the barbarians in previous Civ games, and there will be new "orbital units" that players can command, such as satellites.

Furthermore, Beyond Earth will have an additional win condition - returning to Earth and bringing all of its refugees to your newly colonized planets.

Of course, none of this has been official confirmed by 2K or Firaxis, but it certainly sounds very exciting. I can't wait to sink thousands of more hours into another Civ game!

We've reached out to both companies for comment.

Source: Neogaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800661]

[http://pv.webbyawards.com/2014/web/general-website/games-related]

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
I'm going to have to tranquilise myself after seeing the phrase' a spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri' as I'm not sure anything could possibly live up to the expectations that creates. Also how much do want to bet that this was originally called 'After Earth' but they changed it after Will Smith embarrassed himself in spectacular nepotistic fashion?

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
It took them long enough to do a follow up on Alpha Centauri, I just hope they can live up to the standard it set.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Take my money now!

Also take my firstborn! You can have the second-born as well!

Now excuse me, I gotta find myself a glacier to freeze myself until autumn!

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
All I can say is: If this is real (and please let it be), let there be an option to run this on a single planet (which shall be referred to as planet) and have the alpha centauri factions as options to play as and against. As not having an alpha centauri mode would be a complete shame.

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/11268

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dibs on the Space Romans! :p

Seriously, though, that touches on one of my questions...the previous games have all had factions based on historical civilizations, will that still hold true for this? And what of the technology? The logical progression from "We don't even have an alphabet" to "we're building a space station" goes through various stages of actual technological progression.

With everything already being set in the future, I'd imagine this would mean that it's going to be a 100% fictional game.

byte4554_v1legacy

Feb 23, 2010
Awesome. Loved Civ V, can;t wait for this one. RJ 17 does bring up a good point though. what will the progression, tech trees, and factions be like?

Apr 28, 2008
"spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri"

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

TAKE ALL MY MONEY! Super excited now.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
SO MUCH YES!

Ohmahgerd, I've been waiting for this since Civ 2 Test of Time. Cannot actually wait.

I've kept meaning to check out Alpha Centauri, since for some reason in fifteen years I never got round to it, but after (*checks*) 954 hours of Civ 5 (Jesus Christ, and I know that there are people on this board who'll probably eclipse that), I'm worried that I might not be able to return to a Civ 2-era game without it feeling too weird.

But now I suppose I won't have to, because there is basically zero chance that they won't find my dessicated corpse in ten years time sitting in front of a computer with Beyond Earth still running!

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Love Civ V, love Alpha Centuri. Spiritual sequel to Alpha Centuri using Civ V's engine? That will do nicely. Hopefully the release date will give me plenty of time to say good bye to my friends and loves because they likely won't see me again.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Take my frakking money! Holy smokes, I was just wondering to myself the other day, I've been playing Firaxis' stuff for a year and a half, XCOM's got a couple of years on it now, what's next, another Civ perhaps? But they're still doing expansion packs. So yeah, they're doing Civilization in Space. Awesome.

You know what would be even more awesome? If they made it a sequel to XCOM. I mean, they've already got light nods in the actual Civ game, and now they're going full sci-fi, space exploration... they probably won't make explicit links, but there'll definitely be a couple of winks and nods, and it would be awesome if they brought it a little further than that.

Gaahhh, please let this be accurate, please let it happen soon, gaaaahhh!

Edit: Well, apparently it is official now, and happening this fall. So.... holy flipping wow, awesome awesome awesome!

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
Anti-American Eagle said:
All I can say is: If this is real (and please let it be), let there be an option to run this on a single planet (which shall be referred to as planet) and have the alpha centauri factions as options to play as and against. As not having an alpha centauri mode would be a complete shame.
Well, that's unlikely given that EA still owns the rights to Alpha Centauri.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
RJ 17 said:

Seriously, though, that touches on one of my questions...the previous games have all had factions based on historical civilizations, will that still hold true for this? And what of the technology? The logical progression from "We don't even have an alphabet" to "we're building a space station" goes through various stages of actual technological progression.

With everything already being set in the future, I'd imagine this would mean that it's going to be a 100% fictional game.
Alpha Centari was literally this, Civilization after earth, and it was made by Sid as well. So basically play some Alpha Centari and you'll see roughtly where something like this would go (just the new one would be a Civ V customisation rather than the earlier civ AC was based off).

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:
Only if I can be space germans!

I will wipe out those space barbarians and enslave them all :D
Actually I wanna change my dibs to the Space Aztecs. When it comes to multiplayer, I just can't get enough of the ability to fully/instantly heal a unit after each victory. :3

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
RJ 17 said:
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:

Actually I wanna change my dibs to the Space Aztecs. When it comes to multiplayer, I just can't get enough of the ability to fully/instantly heal a unit after each victory. :3
That is pretty sweet, space england could be good to, the ship of the line really just destroys everyone else when it comes to mid-game naval warfare/fucking up peoples trade routes.

Or space mongols for early game blitzing.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:

That is pretty sweet, space england could be good to, the ship of the line really just destroys everyone else when it comes to mid-game naval warfare/fucking up peoples trade routes.

The Space Indians would be my 2nd favorite choice...the ability to use every special resource right from the git-go is obscenely useful...especially if you start near some Space Dye or Space Whales. :3

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
So we have this now AND Galactic Civilizations III. That's awesome.

captcha: 5 dollar shake

I love Pulp Fiction too, captcha!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
RJ 17 said:
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:
The White Hunter said:
RJ 17 said:

The Space Indians would be my 2nd favorite choice...the ability to use every special resource right from the git-go is obscenely useful...especially if you start near some Space Dye or Space Whales. :3
I'll have to give them a go, I usually aim for military growth through economy then win with later conquest. Need to bother with culture and such sometime.