Clarification needed: Why do women LOVE Twilight?

bvaisius

Mar 25, 2009
InifniteWit said:
Alright then I'll spell it out here and now so that you will understand.

Point one: The font in Rainbow Six is very very small. Said novel also has very small pages and margins. That book has 894 pages.

Twilight has 500 some odd pages. I have seen the book. It does have a very large font along with excessively large margins. This illustrates that Twilight, printed on large thicker pages was printed this way to inflate the size and therefore the amount they could charge for it and still expect to make money. Were Twilight printed in the same font and layout as Rainbow six It'd likely be only about two hundred pages. This erodes its credibility in my opinion because it was produced this way deliberately to make money.

Point two: You have absolutely no idea how large my personal experience is. I think it's excessively rude(Not unlike most of the people I've spoken about Twilight with) to discard any arguments completely out of hand when not exploring every aspect of my argument.

Also if you're try to make a point please either underline or italicize your statement and stop holding the shift key.
Trivun said:
InifniteWit said:
wordsmith said:
InifniteWit said:
I think it's because these girl who haven't read a book that they weren't force to ever feel like they accomplished some big feat and thing that Twilight is a pinnacle of literary mastery. Despite the fact that It's a complete rip off with size eighteen font and the fact that it's a hardback make it ridiculously expensive. And these girls and boys, thinking that they've read some huge book despite its grandma size font and ridiculous margin feel that they are now scholars who have the right to piss on everybody else.
Sorry dude, I have to disagree. Now, I admit that the books aren't any Subtle Knife or Angels+Demons, but I can't see how it "forces" anyone to feel that. It's a book that is written well in some parts, not so well in others.

Oh no! It's a hardback!! Guess what? They invented these things called softbacks- quite a bit cheaper, which I understand was your gripe here. The font size wasn't anything noticably larger or smaller than standard, or at least I didn't pick up on it.

And finally, the assumption that we feel that we're scholars for finishing the book? Nah, we're just better informed to talk about it, on account of not just having watched a screen for three hours. Scholars are people who are better informed and more aware of the full subject that they are talking about, so in a way you're right.
What I meant to say was that people who have not read any books that they were not forced to read. That was just poorly phrased on my part.

As for font size. Twilight and let's say Rainbow Six are about the same thickness, size wise. While Rainbow Six has 894 pages of novel while Twilight has 512. And the face that Rainbow Six has substantially smaller pages only points to one thing. A ridiculously large font in Twilight.

And please note that I'm only speaking from personal experience here. In my experience Twilight fans are insufferably obnoxious about what they perceive as the best book ever, despite not have ever read anything not published before this miserable decade.

Actually, I happen to have read and enjoyed the books as well and I do not fall into the generalisation you so callously have put forward. Your own personal experience is obviously very VERY small, as I know several people who enjoyed Twilight (the books, not necessarily the film) and are avid readers of other fiction as well. I did English Literature for three years and as a result studied (and therefore read and understood) many different works of literature beyond anything you may have read or experienced, most of which were classics (e.g. Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and also various Shakespeare works). I still enjoyed Twilight despite being aware of its faults, and although I wouldn't rate it as highly as some other books I've read I would definitely say that I enjoyed the series. Also, more pages in a book doesn't necessarily mean a larger font size. I own a large collection of books and have never noticed (even checking now) any relation between book size and font size. So that renders yet another of your arguments completely null. If I were you I would explore every aspect of your argument and make DAMN sure you know what you are talking about before you make any sort of comment. Not trying to be rude or anything, but it gets on my nerves when people make comments about things they don't fully understand, like you in this instance.
i think both of you could learn from the quote you dont fully understand your own side of an argument till you know your opponents

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
you cant say that was a good movie

you just can't.

besides, vampires should die during the day not turn sparkly, you cant see them in mirrors and for all the incongruities they all should have burst into flames in a terrible Volvo accident.

bvaisius

Mar 25, 2009
PersianLlama said:
I tried reading a page of Twilight because my friend asked me to. It was worse than Jane Eyre, and I thought that task was impossible to accomplish.

Edit:
Dezreki said:
I am more confident than you; I have an ego to declare that I am "better" than you.
And I have the ego to respond with "No".
i think that declaring that your better than someone cant be based on ego. Because i can have said i read a shit tonne of books which i have. And i consider myself at least semi intelligent. I think to make a declaration of that magnitude you would have to know the person personally, and delved deep into his mind and whether you like the books or not is more complex than that. I read kind of critically and i would say that the writing is mediocre to shitty, i would also say that the story is intriguing and screams of people's wildest dreams. The characters are not really given to deep of a personality so that you can make it up and relate to it. personally i have no real love for the books and i respect peoples likes and respective dislikes of the books, although, i do kinda tire of making one negative remark and getting the attention of every girl in the room which has happened on occasion.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Thank the fucking lord I go to an all boys school, where no one has ever even said the word "twilight" let alone discussed it. Everyone knows that fangirls are retarded and everything they say is wrong so therefore twilight is crap. Twilight is just a masturbatory aid for retarded teen girls, it's a fad that will blow over in about 6 months.

jockslap

May 20, 2008
honestly, its mainly because the women want to be taken care of by this dude who is dark, mysterious, attractive, and apparently tottaly in love with them, all of them.

jockslap

May 20, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
Onmi said:
Also, Syfy (Sci-Fi... uh you know) Want to make a Twilight Anime.

Yeah.

I'll let that sit in peoples minds.
See, the problem with making a Twilight anime is not that twilight is bad. There's plenty of Edwards out there in Shojo and Josei manga.

No, it's rather more fundamental.

See, the vampires in twilight can't go out and they get emo why? Because they get all sparkly in sunlight.

But any sufficiently pretty anime boy sparkles anyway.

See? The vampires have nothing to be emo about any more. (Also, they're going to have to step up the prettiness to compete, I'm (mostly) straight and I fancy Alto.)
that is probably the most attractive and effeminite man ive ever seen in my life, now im confused >_>

MoganFreeman

Jan 28, 2009
It is popular because the main female protagonist is a poorly characterized template for the reader to project herself onto. And in this respect, the reader can then be seduced by a vampire. I mean, Christ, the book series is essentially the lurid and repressed fantasies of a bored Mormon housewife, and, frankly, reads just like you'd expect it to.

khorgor

Nov 23, 2008
Bowl Full said:
Why is it in EVERY new vampire movie or series the vampires have to be different from the normal interpretation of vampires? You know, invisibility, turning into a bat, sucking blood, not being fucking pansies, having vampire fangs, no reflection, etc. At least some vampire movies based off of novels that "correct" human interpretation of a vampire are GOOD unlike Twilight. For example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interview_with_the_Vampire (Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice)
go read night watch series ;-)

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
jockslap said:
that is probably the most attractive and effeminite man ive ever seen in my life, now im confused >_>
And what this probably does not lead you to expect is that he's also a monumental badass.

See, none of your sparklepires are going to compete in anime.

Mockingjay

Mar 3, 2009
ass generalisation here. I hate Twilight. Though it is hilarious. Sparkly vampires? I think not.