Classes or races you don't play as in RPGs

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
I was setting up enemies for my DnD group the other day, when this dawned on me. I?ve been playing RPGs for years. I?ve played so many, that I could say I?ve just about played everything. A Tiefling Paladin, Drow Sorcerer, Aasimar Cleric, Yuan-Ti Monk, Dwarf Wizard, Half-Orc Ranger(Don't bother with that last one though), ect...

Except Rogues. Never once have I played a Rogue, or any similar class. In never put any points into sneak or stealth in games like Fallout either. I also have never played a Gnome or similar race.

I know some people who refuse to play a ranged style character, and some who refuse to do any form of magic. Some DMs I've met refuse to allow people to play as Drow because they don't want a party of people playing Drizzt. So I was wondering, dear readers: Is there any class or race you don?t ever play in games, and why don?t you play as them?

For me, I view Rogues as cowards and thieves. And I tend to play more rule-abiding people. I also like to be more "up front" with power. Stelth has its bonuses, but it seems unfair not to give your foe a fair chance to fight back (Except if they greatly outmach you and are evil)

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
I don't play mages. Too not-hitting-shit-with-a-sword for me. Also I can never keep track of all my spells.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
I have a fairly small number of archetypes that I'll use for a main character, who's gonna be the hero in a game like Dragon Age or something, because some character types are more heroic than others. I don't tend to play rogue-type characters in these games. If my character is gonna be a member of a party and just hang around in the background most of the time then anything goes.

Also, the type of character I make depends partially on the quality of different aspects of the game. In Morrowind I never played a stealthy character because the stealth was a bit shit, but in Oblivion it was great fun. And in Fallout 3 I never did hand-to-hand although I would have liked to.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Fighters/warriors.

As for warriors I don't really like extremely agressive play. It has a visceral pleasure at times but it just feels bland to me. There isn't much thought involved compared to mages/rangers, which take strategy.

I generally don't like the usually agressive playstyle in battle. I like to sit back, or wait for the moment to strike.

I personally like to put myself in situations I think I can win. It will also give me an advantage against opponents who are stronger than me if there is a weakness I can exploit. Mages, rogues and archers are quite good with this as they usually try to start a battle at a safe position, and if they mess up they are screwed.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
The last RPG I have experence in is Mass Effect SO I'll talk on that.

I never played the Vanguard or Engineer Class. I don't really prefer Shotguns so that might speak to why I don't ever pick Vanguard. I just started one Engineer Class starting with Mass Effect 1 and I think I might change my mind on this class becuase I never thought the amount of ablities would be great in battle. But I think it's pretty set in stone I won't ever go Vanguard.

Rubucopter

Jul 26, 2009
I tend to avoid playing tanks and rogues. They just don't seem to fit with my personality. I also usually go for any race that isn't human, if I can. Humans tend to be safe and its fantasy, so the point is to be something I'm not and the last time I checked, I was human.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
I'll mix my style. It depends on the situation. I don't use set archetypes much. I've never been a big support guy, though, and AOE attacks and buffs aren't really my thing (although in Dungeon Fighter online, I've had an absolute blast as a Soul Bender. I should consider playing it more.)

Archery is the one thing I never use. I see no point to using a bow and arrow when I can, in theory, just chuck a fireball or hold my shield up and rush in and cut some fools.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
I don't like to play as anything but a warrior/soldier/fighter/berserker.

It's just how I roll. I love just charging in and smashing shit up.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
I almost never play a fighter/warrior/knight type character. I like how mages and rogues have more interesting ways to do their thing. It's fun to bend the rules and create all kinds of clever combos. A basic fighter just kills things until they die.

As for races, I don't like orcs or similar races, because they're usually most suited to be fighters, and because they're ugly.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
I've somehow been stuck being a fighter in every tabletop campaign I've ever played.

This is another reason why I generally take spellcasting classes in any video game RPG I play.

Alexias_Sandar

Nov 8, 2010
Pure thugs. For that matter, I generally don't play pure spell slinger types either. I'm more of a Jack of All Trades type, in general in what I play...even when I play a more specialized character, they generally have fall back skills in another type. Also? I don't touch halflings, gnomes or dwarves...or half orcs, or...bah. Let's put it simply, I generally only play humans, elves, half elves, or those reasonably appearing so, like tieflings, genasi or aassimar, in D&D type settings. For say, Star Wars, I stick with near humans or humans. I also pretty much never play any character without Charisma or equivalent, and significant social skills. I'd rather talk first, fight second. Though once battle comes...I do make sure my characters can hold their own.

claymoreguy18

Jan 3, 2011
Can't stand warriors, they're just so boring. As a mage I can set things ON FIRE! As a rogue I can stealth my way around, set traps, pick off stragglers, and basically anything else that makes me feel like Batman. As a warrior you just... hit things. boring.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
I've been through the RPG ropes so many times that I don't think I've left any class or race untouched really. But the one I've done the least often is the warrior/fighter type. DnD, they're literally just swing sword and hit shit all day unless you multiclass with something, which is too boring for me. And that's about how they translate in any other RPG. I think the most fun I ever had with a fighter was in Dragon Age. And I went with the dual-wield fighter, which is probably the least typical option of the three.

The class that took me the longest to try was the stealth/sneaky type. I played through Morrowind, Oblivion, both KOTOR's, and a couple DnD campaigns before I ever tried a stealth based character. I randomly made one in Oblivion one day, and immediately enjoyed it. Gameplay slows down a lot, and you start thinking more about what route you're going to take, what you do if you're caught, how to not get caught... things get more tense. and I love that. Plus, sneak attack rogue starts doing absolutely filthy sneak attack damage in DnD (an extra d6 every 2 levels? yes please)

As for race, I'm generally open to about anything. I'll play whatever I think fits my class and/or character vision best. I'm open to anything, but I'm definitely the kind of player that considers the racial benefits in relation to class choice. In other words, I'm not about to make a half-orc wizard or a halfling barbarian.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I switch it up constantly depending on what looks most appealing. In Demon's Souls I'm currently playing through it as a Royal, a class that uses both ranged magic and melee.

TheAceTheOne said:
Archery is the one thing I never use. I see no point to using a bow and arrow when I can, in theory, just chuck a fireball or hold my shield up and rush in and cut some fools.
I have to agree this though, I tend to avoid characters that use a bow and arrow as their primary weapon. It's cool if its more of a secondary item, but I wouldn't want that to be the focus of my character.

Qtoy

Apr 21, 2011
I've never played a tabletop RPG, but I'll tell you what, in every Fallout game I've played, I've never played the "Run-and-gun", "Blow-Shit-Up", "Load myself with best armor and minigun" guy.
Likewise, I've never relied on melee or unarmed at all.

Though now that I think about it, in the few RPGs I have played that have anything to do with fantasy, I'm the dude who hits people in the face with the niftiest sword available and armor that weighs more than I do.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I rarely even pick a race that amounts to a hulking giant to swing a stick at. I tend towards a stealth based character with good mobility. So a smaller frame and a dagger/bow to go with that.

Mr.Mudkip

Nov 16, 2009
I tend to avoid anything that requires more stealth or speed as opposed to bulk or power. Rogues/Scouts/Assassins, stuff like that. I like to see my hits have an effect. I also love the feeling I get when an enemy's attack does almost nothing. As for races, I almost never play as human.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I tend to avoid the short races. No dorfs, no gnomes, no halflings. I did play a Kender once in a DragonLance game, and did rather well at it, or so I am told. I'll play just about any class, though.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Mages and full elves. Half mages, fine, rangers, warriors, rogues, fine. Mages just don't work with me though.