Classic games you just can't stand.

Verdilian

Jan 8, 2011
Right now, most likely the Contra series. I really never got the hang of it. Other than that, none.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Half Life.

It's interesting historically, as the prototype of the Valve style, but the gameplay is no better than any other middle of the road 90s FPS, and considerably worse than the likes of Quake II.

Utterly unpredictable incoming damage; level design that means you'll die from environmental hazards (usually falling) as often as you will from enemy fire; and the Worst. Fucking. Platforming. In. The. History. Of. FPSs.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Meh, it's GTA for me. I just don't like the idea of messing around in games. I can appreciate it, but it's not my cup of tea.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
That's kind of the definition of a classic, Something that everybody likes but nobody wants to read/hear/play.

draconiansundae

Sep 14, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
Pretty self explanatory. For me, it'd have to be anything Mario. He's all over the damn place, there's no escaping the fat little prick. Everywhere you turn on the internet there's shitty fan art, terrible web comics, soundtrack remixes and God knows what else. He's over saturated to the point of nausea, and I'm sick of seeing his fat ass everywhere. So, what is it for you? Why?
This. This exactly.

draconiansundae

Sep 14, 2010
Irridium said:
Ocarina of Time.

Probably because I didn't play it in my childhood, and played it two years ago without any sort of nostalgia, but still, for one of the most well regarded games of all damn time, topping many "best games EVER" lists, that thing sucked. I'm sure it was great for it's time, but holy crap, it's bad.

And besides, Majora's Mask is wholly superior to it. Played it three years ago and I loved it. Still love it. Shame not many played it.
No one I know agrees with me that Majora's Mask is far superior to OoT. I've recently replayed both games, and Majora's Mask is still so much more enjoyable. It's considered somewhat of a "black sheep" amongst Zelda games, but it's my absolute favorite.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Final Fantasy 6, I just couldn't get over how unbalanced the characters are, I only used 5 of the people it gave me because compared to them everyone else was useless.

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
AroLombardi said:
Link's Awakening. My most hated Zelda game, and yet all my friends are appalled at me.
Oh god yes. Its just... not great. Even compared to four swords (although, I did love that game despite universal hatred of it.)

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
Sixcess said:
Half Life.

It's interesting historically, as the prototype of the Valve style, but the gameplay is no better than any other middle of the road 90s FPS, and considerably worse than the likes of Quake II.

Utterly unpredictable incoming damage; level design that means you'll die from environmental hazards (usually falling) as often as you will from enemy fire; and the Worst. Fucking. Platforming. In. The. History. Of. FPSs.
YES! I am not alone in my dislike for Half Life! High-Five!
... no? ... I'll let myself out.

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
Simeon Ivanov said:
Sixcess said:
Half Life.

YES! I am not alone in my dislike for Half Life! High-Five!
... no? ... I'll let myself out.
But...but...but...HALF LIFE.

I can see why you'd dislike it, though, even if I can only get to sleep by listening to the sound of Gordon Freeman crowbarring a zombie intermixed with "Morphine administered"

OT: Metal Gear Solid, I never played it when I was younger, and now it just seems try to would be attempting to read a book, but starting at the 200th page and it's in a future dialect of English. That and God of War/ Devil May Cry esque hack 'n' slashers. Just never found them fun.

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
glowbug3 said:

I can see why you'd dislike it, though, even if I can only get to sleep by listening to the sound of Gordon Freeman crowbarring a zombie intermixed with "Morphine administered"

OT: Metal Gear Solid, I never played it when I was younger, and now it just seems try to would be attempting to read a book, but starting at the 200th page and it's in a future dialect of English. That and God of War/ Devil May Cry esque hack 'n' slashers. Just never found them fun.
The story is interesting and the characters are memorable ... well, Alyx at least ... well, her ass anyway ... but the gameplay isn't that exciting for me ... I actually had to take breaks, because I lost interest at times.

Curiously, I love Devil May Cry and God of War ... are you my antithesis?

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
Simeon Ivanov said:
glowbug3 said:

The story is interesting and the characters are memorable ... well, Alyx at least ... well, her ass anyway ... but the gameplay isn't that exciting for me ... I actually had to take breaks, because I lost interest at times.

Curiously, I love Devil May Cry and God of War ... are you my antithesis?
My love for it may be that it was the first decent FPS I'd ever played, after years of bad WW2 shooters.

Also, what are you meant to do with Antithese? Fight them? Sleep with them? Make them a cup of tea? Why did no one teach me?!

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
glowbug3 said:
Also, what are you meant to do with Antithese? Fight them? Sleep with them? Make them a cup of tea? Why did no one teach me?!
If you're female, I guess sleeping with you would be the correct answer. If not ... well ... do you like ponies?

Glowbug

Jul 10, 2011
Simeon Ivanov said:
glowbug3 said:
If you're female, I guess sleeping with you would be the correct answer. If not ... well ... do you like ponies?
I may, I may not... (pssst. I'm playing hard to get)

Simeon Ivanov

Jun 2, 2011
glowbug3 said:
Yeah... Just re-read the first bit. I'm not. Although I could put on a dress.
Erm ... no need for that. I guess we could just be arch-rivals. But we really should cut the spam, I sense the moderators are watching us.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
krazykidd said:
Irridium said:
Ocarina of Time.

Probably because I didn't play it in my childhood, and played it two years ago without any sort of nostalgia, but still, for one of the most well regarded games of all damn time, topping many "best games EVER" lists, that thing sucked. I'm sure it was great for it's time, but holy crap, it's bad.

And besides, Majora's Mask is wholly superior to it. Played it three years ago and I loved it. Still love it. Shame not many played it.
Why exactly is it bad , you really have to take the era of its creation into consideration , thats what make classics classics , even if they age poorly. As long as you dont say because of the graphics i can respect your opinion.

OT: starcraft , warcraft and metal gear . Just no.
Isn't that the exact opposite of what makes a classic, classic? I thought that classics were supposed to be so good that they get a sort of timeless quality, and can still be enjoyed many years later.

OT: I hated Ocarina of Time, but then I've also hated every Zelda game I've ever played, so it's probably just because I don't like that style of play.

Another classic I just can't seem to enjoy is Planescape: Torment. I've heard all these great things about the story, but when I try to play it myself it just seems to be the most boring, tedious game I've ever had the misfortune to stumble across. I like Baldur's Gate, which is a similar kind of game, so I really don't know what it is that makes me hate Torment so much.