Cliches that you don't hate, but do bug you

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Love stories in war films, specifically Air combat films.

I don't hate them, especially when they are well handled and particularly touching (like in Dark Blue World), but there's always a little part of me thinking about how the romance scenes are eating away at potential aerial dogfighting chaos scenes.

Seriously- when you compare strictly the amount of 'romance' and 'aerial dogfights' in film these days, there so little air combat going around that you can't really blame people for flocking to the latest WW2 epic for the action and then being disheartened by the abundance of hanky panky that they could find almost anywhere else...

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Alternative said:
Its supposed to be part of Ron's character development, over the books he matures greatly.
The main problem I have with that idea is that Ron was still immature, jealous, petty and at times down right cruel (the whole dating Lavender thing for example) right up until the last half or so of the last book. He left Harry and Hermione out in the wilderness because he wanted more food and a comfortable bed (there may have been more reasons, but those were the main reasons).
He just suddenly became good boyfriend/husband material off-screen and between two scenes. That's not really character development, not true development at least.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
twistedmic said:
Alternative said:
Its supposed to be part of Ron's character development, over the books he matures greatly.
The main problem I have with that idea is that Ron was still immature, jealous, petty and at times down right cruel (the whole dating Lavender thing for example) right up until the last half or so of the last book. He left Harry and Hermione out in the wilderness because he wanted more food and a comfortable bed (there may have been more reasons, but those were the main reasons).
He just suddenly became good boyfriend/husband material off-screen and between two scenes. That's not really character development, not true development at least.
The biggest problem I have with the series was the sense of time. They're such long stories and written in a way that you don't really remember that the characters are all teenagers. Some of Ron's behavior is completely normal for how a 16/17 year old would act, but because Harry and Hermione are written as fairly unrealistic teenagers, he gets the shit end of the stick. None of the Golden Trio really had that much character development, and since Ron was written in the beginning as the most flaky, that's the label he's stuck with for the books

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Announced attacks.

This is something that's been carried over from the 60s, from Space Ghost, Birdman, and so on. They explain what they're doing before they do it, sometimes screwing up because it was really incredibly obvious what was happening.

Flash forward to anime. Okay, how many shows can you name that have called attacks? Actually, you could probably look up the trope real easy. NOW, how often in those shows would you say it would be more prutend to SHUT UP when you attack? Did you say "Nearly all of them!"? Did some of you even say "Especially in Naruto, which is supposedly about being a stealthy NINJA!"?

I rest my case.
I agree, but I will make an exception for the Mystletainn Kick from kore wa zombie desu ka.
Don't judge me.

OT
Happy endings, I don't mind them, but if they were less frequent then I would actually wonder how this film, show, book etc would end.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I'm tired of the cliche main female always having some amazing super ability that causes eveyone in the kingdom/world/area/government to want to kidnap her forty-seven times in order to harness he abilities. And she will get kidnapped, even having that super ability, over and over again.

Or a character falling into some point of power (mecha, grand ability from god, blah blah) and automatically being able to use said power by usually defeating a small army or group of trained individuals around him in seconds. It took me like an hour to properly use the slicer at my job, these guys can dive into mech suits in space and be fine~

Crenelate

May 27, 2010
What bugs me is when someone develops nigh on superpowers in very little time, despite it supposedly being a long and arduous process. Aang and Korra from Avatar are examples of this (Aang more so as he managed to essentially master 3 elements in 6 months, at least Korra had the basics down when she was a kid). With the other Avatars it seems like they weren't even told they were avatars until they were about 16, but with the most recent two they seem to master the elements pretty fast (personal issues notwithstanding). But I love the shows so I don't hate it, it just bugs me.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
The Wykydtron said:
Don't even get me started on the travesty that were the Crysis 2 subtitles... God they were so bad!
Did you ever see the subtitles for the Stalker: COP cinematics?
The subtitles aren't even typos, they are just completely different from what the narrator is saying.
No i've never really tried the Stalker games, I probably should since I hear they are pretty good...

It sounds similar to what Crysis 2 did actually, so many words were wrong or not even said in the dialogue... For example the one character is saying "dude" or "man" in every other sentence in the subs but I doubt he even says those words once in the actual dialogue...

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I'm not sure if TV Tropes have a name for this, but the kind of ending where the final shot is an extreme close up of the protagonist's eye opening before cutting to black. It's not something that really angers me, but I can usually telegraph it from a mile off (particularly in Avatar) and it just seems like a really trite and lazy manner to close the proceedings.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Super-modes without visible drawbacks. Particularly super-modes that just up one's strength and speed. Bonus points if the supposed drawback is "your shortening your own life."

I think the one time I saw one of them that did that trope in a completely reasonable manner was Metroid Prime 3, because there were enough circumstances where you could be tempted to use Hyper Mode, but the mechanics worked so that you had to be careful.

Granted, it's not like I hate Super Saiyan modes or the like, but when saying something is dangerous, at least give a tangible drawback, or don't bother with the whole "it's dangerous" BS.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I hate the cliche in drama shows that always portray the female lead as passive aggressive and justify it because it makes them "deep". It really is so overused and really just makes the character completely unlikable. See Skyler from Breaking Bad.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
The "hero" in horror movies is always some boring ass goody two shoes character.Just once I'd like to see a horror where the stoner/bullying jock/slutty girl survives and all the goody-goody virgins are the ones killed off

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
A cliche that tends to pop up a lot in monster flicks is that the monster will kill off all the fodder in seconds, but the moment it encounters a main character, it develops a case of the DERP and seems to be unable to kill them, letting them escape. I mostly laugh and facepalm at moments like these as they tend not to make sense. Some movies give a reason as to why the monster can't bring themselves to kill character X, which feels cheap to me, but alright. There are others that give no explanation what-so-ever.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Definitely the one where the otherwise completely able protagonist/support character dies because they were too petrified to move out of the way of the Giant Ball o' Death thing that was headed straight for them. They spend the entire game fighting and kicking ass, but when a big powerball or train or even fist is headed straight for them, they panic and seize up? Especially considering that this is when your "fight or flight" instincts would kick in, I'm not buying it.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
Aerosteam 1908 said:
When the antagonist isn't dead by the end of the movie/game.

Bloody Hell, throughout the entire story you said you were going to kill the bad guy, but when you actually get to him your going to 'talk him out of it'? Fuck that.
This,or when the protagonist just let him escapse when he can blast him with a shotgun.A good example is Dragon's dogma I was playing today and I needed to clear a fort and kill the leader, I fought 3 cyclops,hordes of goblins,yet when the leader has 25% health left he just jumps out of the window and escapses. WTH? put a arrow in his neck don't just stand there like a moron.

AndyRock

Dec 22, 2009
JoshGod said:
I've been watching D.Gray-man recently, and this also bugs me, especially when they're activating their innocence, it's as if we can't see the fucking bright green light, or that they're doing a certain special move.
Also when no one but the main character can aim, or they suddenly forget how to aim when one of the main protagonists are on screen.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
rhizhim said:
i could tell you but ..
and this.

in short: a lot of supercuts.
oh, come on now. That Psych one is fucking brilliant.
Shawn Spencer: Oh, you mean my pilot's license? That's out back in the Cessna. Or perhaps you're referring to my license to kill. Revoked. Trouble at the Kazakhstan border. I could give you the details but then I'd have to kill you, which I can't do because my license to kill has been revoked.

that's comedy gold right there.

OT: I hate the happy endings.
hmm, reading that makes me seem like a terrible person, but come on guys. YOU DON'T ALWAYS GET THE GIRL GOD DAMNIT!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
SirPlindington said:
The idea of a chosen one who was chosen just because he was. He doesn't have any traits that would make him useful (until he learns them later, of course), he doesn't have any skills (his mentor usually has to teach him), but one day he (Or she, I suppose) is walking home from school and BAM! They get a magic sword and mystical powers. Good books can come of it, but its been done since the beginning of time and it irritates me ever-so-slightly.
You know, I was writing a story that played with this but got bored with it.

Its basically the Chosen One cliche, but the twist was that the actual legend already happened, So the "chosen one" actually isnt doing anything to help solve the worlds problems. It really shouldnt be to hard to tell why I got bored with it...

Also, Katanas. Sure they're cool, but good freaking God... thats and big fucking swords...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JoshGod said:
-RIDER KICK!!-
Deliberate comedy and Kamen Rider shows may pass through my argument unscathed. As with all things, an exception to the rules must be made.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
AndyRock said:
JoshGod said:
I've been watching D.Gray-man recently, and this also bugs me, especially when they're activating their innocence, it's as if we can't see the fucking bright green light, or that they're doing a certain special move.
Also when no one but the main character can aim, or they suddenly forget how to aim when one of the main protagonists are on screen.
I stopped watching D.Gray-man. The first 26 or so episodes were pretty good the next 26, pure filler, it was way too much for me.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
The "If you kill him, you will be just like him" trope. Seriously, if the guy killed hundreds of people, why not make sure he can't kill any more?