Cliches that you hate with a passion.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You know in techno music, that one drumroll everyone uses? The one that speeds up like crazy? I am so tired of that cliche and it usually takes me out of my mood for techno.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
It's actually a specific sword style known as Iai. I believe the logic behind the style is constantly swinging a sword is a waste of energy, and moreover leaves you wide open against a smart enemy. Truthfully, though, the style isn't all about SINGLE sword strikes, just about making every strike count, which is what it all boils down to. What would you rather have? 100 sword swings that take down maybe ten guys, or ten well-placed sword strikes that fall those ten guys? I will admit, though, that movies tend to exaggerate the style and turn it into ONE strike that can fell DOZENS, or some such crap like that.

For me, I think my most hated cliche is the lack of use of excessive force when the need arises. Like, say, we have a zombie epidemic in a single location of the world, and we never see bomb effing ONE drop, much less a nuclear one which could decimate the entire lot immediately.

That and monologuing/hesitation. When one side is cornered, the other just starts talking, and talking, AND TALKING, until the "cornered" side finds a way to get the upper hand. Or when the hero has a gun pointed at the enemy, but is "afraid" to shoot. I believe others have given the "reasons" behind this hesitation, but for me, it doesn't matter. You hesitate, you die.

OH, one last one, basically, the moments in movies where you just stare at the screen and wonder "has this person never seen even a single minute of TV/Movies/VideoGames/Insert Media Here?!?" It's all over. People going into dark houses in scary movies, the hero choosing NOT to take some badass weapon of ultimate victory or use the weapon he has in a non-retarded fashion, protagonists mulling over some obvious plot, one you've seen and recognized from countless other movies/TV shows. I can't pick out any specific instances of this, but they're freaking everywhere, and they really kill the immersion sometimes.

Largo833

Jan 14, 2010
Similar to "The misunderstanding", my most hated cliche would have to be when a character (almost always the love interest) eavesdrops on a conversation from/about the main character and hears an incomplete summary of what's actually a perfectly innocent situation, but the portion they hear makes the main character sound terrible.

What really gets me about this is how blatant and ridiculous the setup is- in nearly every instance, if the character had started eavesdropping five seconds earlier or stayed five seconds longer, they would have heard something that would give them a much more accurate grasp of what's going on, but no! The plot requires the most convoluted timing possible!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Suijen said:
Hazy said:
"We can't kill him, then we're no better than they are!"
"So I'll let him go to prison, where he'll escape and kill thousands, and then the cycle continues my having a guiltfree conscience > hundreds dying".

Wintermute_ said:
The obligatory love interest.
I would like to see a movie in which the lead guy and lead girl are just good friends.
Irobot

I mean they start out bickering and just having very different veiws at the start, but they dont hook up amazingly

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Batou667 said:
The cynical naysayer in zombie movies who does his level best to undermine the efforts of whoever's leading the survivors.
And usually that douche is one of the ones who ends up surviving too, assuming anyone survives.

GamerKT

Jul 27, 2009
I hate how every time a person is about to die, they have just enough life to say something to the protagonist and die in his/her arms. Seriously, it's been done to death.

(Do you see what I did there?)

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
"If you/we kill him/her, you'll/we'll be no better than him!" Bullshit, last time i checked i didn't use kids as slave labor. And where the hell was that statement when we killed those several thousand mooks? Seriously, we just mowed them down like they weren't even human and now you're telling me we can't kill the guy responsible for this entire thing!? Bullshit, killing this one guy will not make me like him, i won't suddenly start raping and pillaging villages and go kidnapping important people while holding the Cosmic Keystone that keeps everything together in the world hostage.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Redlin5 said:
You know in techno music, that one drumroll everyone uses? The one that speeds up like crazy? I am so tired of that cliche and it usually takes me out of my mood for techno.
I really like electronic music

but yeah I agree...and generally I cant stand that stuff that just sounds so bland and repetitive, like you would hear in a club or slothing store (techno? not sure about genres)

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
as a plot device or a fighting technique?

It's incredibly effective in the late samurai period, when they had no actual battles to fight and had to justify their social standing with that whole "warrior-poet man of honor" nonsense.

so a duel is just "which one of us can pull our pointy sticks and put it through soft, unprotective cloth first?"

of course, it only makes sense in that circumstance, so having it in a big battle scene is silly, and happens far too often.
Orks da best said:
the sword is the holy weapon, why not a bloodly axe, mace, frail, spear, greathammer, or something other then a sword, really why the sword get so much loving its annoying...
Because the sword is a more all-purpose weapon, and it was carried into battle by the crusaders. Also, I think you meant "flail" instead of frail.

I hate the "magic key" insanity plots. I really like it when they find one and it only CALMS DOWN the amount of crazy the person has, then they go right back to doing fuck-all, only for the protagonists dismayed and unhelped

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
GamerKT said:
I hate how every time a person is about to die, they have just enough life to say something to the protagonist and die in his/her arms. Seriously, it's been done to death.

(Do you see what I did there?)
I supose its a little nicer than

"*gasp* gggaa...gurrraaagghhhh *gasp*..aaaaagghhhh..*GASP*..blaaaghh"

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Boom129 said:
Also "Science is Evil"
This. It is like people don't want their standard of living improved. Curing diseases? More efficient technology? Where do you think this comes from? The art community?

Link XL1

Apr 6, 2010
im surprised no one's said good vs evil or light vs darkness, yet. Alan Wake is the most recent offender with harry potter right behind him. i mean my god its so annoying to assume that light = good and darkness is EVIL!!

hell, even just the normal good vs evil is annoying as hell. anytime a character legitly says "we must fight the forces of evil" or something like that im just like 'gawd! shut up!'

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Let's see... Yep, you pretty much named every shitty cliche ever. I seriously got nothing on this guy.

Thread=won

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Thank you, just thank you...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
We're being picked off one by one. I wonder if the killer is the handsome guy? Or the sexy girl? Or the redshirt douchebag? It couldn't be the nice guy, or the nerdy guy with stringbeans for arms...

Oh my gosh, it's the nice guy or the nerdy guy with stringbeans for arms! Despite having been utterly unthreatened by him up to this point, we must now act petrified...

Guys, it's the same guy. Rush him and beat the ever-loving stuffing outta him.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Tears bringing back the dead. im fine with most cliches, but that one gets an EXTRA loud groan...