Cliches that you hate with a passion.

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
DrMegaNutz said:
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Thank you for this. Thank you. You win 10 Internetz
Thanks. Also I would like to see a blind hero or heroine save the day for once.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
Characters that are introduced but then disappear. I was just watching Take the Money and run, and the kid comes in and is in literally two scenes in the whole movie and then is just... Not there.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
I think this video can sum up my answer:

Hazy said:
"We can't kill him, then we're no better than they are!"
Dear god, this too. So much this. Every time I hear or see this I just want to throw the nearest solid object to me at the screen. With great velocity.

Dan Steele

Jul 30, 2010
The villain has the perfect opportunity to kill the hero and he goes on with a monologue of his life instead

Switchblade 327

Nov 25, 2011
Hmm... The worst cliche I can think of is usually brought about after the presentation of some sort of duality, after which some FUCKING PONCE OF A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT will always say, "Yes, exactly! It's just like how good cannot exist without evil, or how darkness cannot exist without light!"

IT PISSES ME OFF TO NO FUCKING AVAIL. I HATE THAT FUCKING SENTENCE SO GODDAMN MUCH BECAUSE PEOPLE SAY IT ALL THE FUCKING TIME, AND IT ISN'T EVEN FUCKING TRUE!

Good and evil are both creations of society; they have no set value and, though generally opposite, exist independently. If a man kills another man in a forest, and there's no super-hero McGoodyTwoShoes hanging around, is he still "evil"? Of course! You don't need someone good there standing next to a killer to say that the killer is a bad man!

As for darkness not existing without light... I assume that most of you understand how light works, but for those of you who are fucking retarded and never spent a minute of your life in a high-school science classroom, DARKNESS AND LIGHT ARE INDEPENDENT. DARKNESS CAN EXIST WITHOUT LIGHT. IN FACT, AS DARKNESS IS THE ABSENCE OF LIGHT, DARKNESS AND LIGHT CAN NEVER COEXIST IN THE SAME SPACE!

So, yeah, that one pisses me off the most.

Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.

Actually, it does serve a purpose. I've heard that it more or less increases the velocity at which the sword is swung... I guess the easiest comparison would be when a baseball player slides those weights onto his bat as he warms up. The sword drags against the sheathe, and then suddenly it's clear, and the blade accelerates.

I'm fairly certain that's how it is, anyway. My sources are an episode of Rurouni Kenshin and two confirmations from random people. lol

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
Anything that has to do with "The Power of Love!!!". Not the song, of course. The song is awesome. I'm talking about stuff like how Harry Potter survived the Killing Curse because of his mother's love.
See also: "The Power of Friendship!!!".

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
The perfect, easy romance that can ONLY be derailed by an idiotic misunderstanding.

Because, you know, that's exactly how love works.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
S-Unleashed said:
DrMegaNutz said:
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Thank you for this. Thank you. You win 10 Internetz
Thanks. Also I would like to see a blind hero or heroine save the day for once.
it has been done very recently...

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
S-Unleashed said:
Also I would like to see a blind hero or heroine save the day for once.
I think that both Daredevil and Toph qualify. But we do need more disabled heroes.

S-Unleashed

May 14, 2009
st0pnsw0p said:
Anything that has to do with "The Power of Love!!!". Not the song, of course. The song is awesome. I'm talking about stuff like how Harry Potter survived the Killing Curse because of his mother's love.
It can be a good plot thing but only in the right way.

CScuff

Jan 14, 2011
Switchblade 327 said:
Good and evil are both creations of society; they have no set value and, though generally opposite, exist independently. If a man kills another man in a forest, and there's no super-hero McGoodyTwoShoes hanging around, is he still "evil"? Of course! You don't need someone good there standing next to a killer to say that the killer is a bad man!
You can only deduce this based on your concept of "good" and "evil" that you already know. If you did not know of "good", then "evil" would be the only thing you knew, thus making it the general norm. You would sooner use the word "average" than "evil" if there were no such thing as good.

OT: "Here is this marvelous, wonderful, amazing piece of technology/ancient power. Oh, but you can't use it for three more sequels BUT HEADS UP, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO EVENTUALLY AND DON'T LET THE BAD GUY GET HIS HANDS ON IT..."

Protagonist loses big thing to baddie. Inevitably breaks it instead of reclaiming it. Ends up conquering baddie with ... love ... or something.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man.
In my defense, my evil church was headed by a woman. She wasn't a pedophile, and she wasn't gay.

Well, she might have been, but I had better things to extrapolate upon. Like how her church employed the use of giant robots.

karkar

Mar 10, 2011
"Oh no! What's-his-name sacrificed himself to save us all! Thankfully, we have some bullshit explanation why they didn't actually die!"

REAL sacrifice makes the drama SO much more interesting

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
Um, that's not a cliche, it's an actual martial art known as Iaido [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido] which developed from Iaijutsu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu], which is the act of drawing the sword from its sheath. So you can't really complain about it being cliche since it technically isn't. I only really know this from reading Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Deeper Kyo.

I'm adding to the hate for for a required, obligatory love interest. I am sick and tired of seeing a romance shoved in when it really does not need to be there.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
You need to stop working so hard, just kick back and relax and have some fun! That will bring your soul back! - Every 80's family movie.

Spend entire time building up a female character as a feminist don't need no man type, only to have her fall in love with a handsome white dude at the very end - Yeah... Fuck that.

Double-cocking shotguns - Lol, that's not how you do it.

Horror movies have a full orchestral crash when some intended to make you jump appears on screen - Every horror movie ever

Hollywood fucking shit up - 95% of films ever made there. Including the Akira remake.

finecrazydud

Mar 6, 2010
Hazy said:
"We can't kill him, then we're no better than they are!"
for once i wanna see someone say " so what your saying is you wouldn't kill Hitler." as an argument to that.

"They say its a suicide mission". who are they? how do they know if they haven't gone on the mission? and if they did go on that mission it isn't a suicide mission because they came back and said it was a suicide mission.

st0pnsw0p

Nov 23, 2009
S-Unleashed said:
st0pnsw0p said:
It can be a good plot thing but only in the right way.
yes, it can be a good plot point, but the only time I've ever seen that was at the end of Super Paper Mario, but that's at least partially because the ancient artifacts you're collecting are called the "Pure Hearts", so at least it's related to the plot.
In stuff like Harry Potter, it's just a sign of bad writing. I mean, what's the point of making some grand backstory about how Harry was able to survive the Killing Curse (and be the first person to do it, no less) when "LOVE!!!" is right there when you need it. I seriously felt cheated when I was old enough to be critical of it.

Noala

Jun 3, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Let's see, any movie that follows the Campbellian Hero pattern, while inadvertently ripping off Star Wars by accident.

What is a Campbellian Hero?

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Everything from this video by the AVGN aka James Rolfe: http://cinemassacre.com/2010/01/20/the-top-10-worst-movie-cliches/