Cliches that you hate with a passion.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
The entirety of Jane Eyre. That is a HORRID book. It's all about Jane whining, and running from her problems, and not problems (her school job), and the decision between the "edgy" bachelor with (literal) skeletons in his closet, or the "controlled" missionary, it's obvious who she picks (the "edgy" guy). When she actually stands up for herself in the school, it's suprising because she doesn't do that for the entire book. And no, being old does not excuse it. Frankenstein holds up. Huckleberry Finn holds up, as does Mice and Men. Old bad writing does not excuse the fact that it is bad writing.
Oh, and "Your/main character's trainer is a bad guy!" or the "You've/Main character has been manipulated the whole time!"
S-Unleashed said:
The church being evil. The priest is a gay pedo, and it's always a man. Christians being racist, sexist, narrow-minded people that will kill you on the spot. Same goes for Muslims being terrorist. British guy is usually the bad guy. Atheists are smarter then everyone. Black people being Gs, white people are the uncool evil losers. Big strong dude gets the sexy girl.
Yeah, and this

vidirg

Sep 23, 2009
almost at the end of the film, the main guy dies, everybody cries and then he magically comes to life or isn't really dead or something and he defeats the bad guy.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
Not at all.
It's called Iaijutsu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu

Kvaedi

Jul 7, 2011
When the villain (or even good guy) places his gun on his enemy's head. I feel like raging at the screen, yelling, "NO THAT'S NOT HOW THIS WORKS!" It's a gun, not a knife. You can kill your enemy just as well when you are out of his reach as you possibly could with your gun in his face, inviting retaliation. That's the one thing you should know about a gun, you never, EVER, get close to the person you are pointing it at.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
My personal peeve is that in movies, being disabled is almost uniformly represented as a severe form of mental retardation. Guys in wheelchairs don't count, as the sight of a wheelchair on the silver screen usually means that the person seated in it is only temporarily disabled.

I know Avatar got some guff for the weaksauce character concepts, for instance, and I applaud anyone who's perceptive enough to recognize that. Yes, Sam Worthington sucked balls. However, I still like the movie if only for the fact that Sully is accurately portrayed as a disabled individual. Sure, he's got zero lower-body strength when not driving his avatar, but you can see that he's resourceful, independent, and that there's a fair bit of upper-body compensation going on.

See, Hollywood? That's a smart cripple. Not everyone needs to have spastic hand positions and to talk in moans and groans. Another good example would be Lieutenant Dan, from Forrest Gump. Yes, Sinise's legs were removed using GGI, but credit needs to be given to his performance.

Okamipsychonaut

Mar 30, 2010
I have two. when someone cocks a pump action shotgun before the major action even if said action was coming a mile off.
It is also annoying that whenever a knife is pulled from a leather sheath...it makes a metallic SHING sound.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
DeltaEdge said:
A guy and a girl trip on or around each other and somehow ends up with one directly over the other facing each other, and the male has 1, or both of his hands on her breasts, or his face. The girl then proceeds to overreact and slap him or beat him senselessly.
A bit like..... this?

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Guest said:
DeltaEdge said:
A guy and a girl trip on or around each other and somehow ends up with one directly over the other facing each other, and the male has 1, or both of his hands on her breasts, or his face. The girl then proceeds to overreact and slap him or beat him senselessly.
A bit like..... this?

That is exactly what I mean. BTW all the people on that train are a bunch of sadistic dicks.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
The obligatory shocking moment in the Modern Warfare games. In MW1 it was used well I thought. The whole "We'd rather all die than leave someone behind." MW2's was kind of important to the plot, but let's ignore ALL OF THE SECURITY FOOTAGE OF MAKAROV(I think that's how it's spelled) SHOOTING UP THE CIVILIANS AND JUST FOCUS ON THE ONE CIA AGENT. In MW3 I swear every mission had some sort of "Nooooo" *Slomo* *Heavy Breathing* *Looks at Hands* "Get up we need to move. GET UP GET UP!" And the whole chemical attack was just added to give it that sense of controversy. "Oh Jebus they killed a kid in a game!"

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Gah, the obligatory tough female character who somehow kicks arse and has this over-acted 'bad ass' attitude that appears quite often in Hollywood movies but occasionally rears her ugly head in video games too. Can't stand 'em.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
JoCharlie266 said:
ReinWeisserRitter said:
"It's more evil because it happened to a child!"
Ugh, yes. It annoys me that you can't kill kids in games becuase they're so special.
I'm going to side with Yahtzee (for once) and ask: "Why the hell does this bother people?" Is killing six-year-olds really that important to your enjoyment of the game?

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
Anything that has to do with prophecies.

I hate prophecies for some reason, stuff like pre determined fate always annoys me. It annoyed me when I read the odyssey, and it annoys me with modern movies today.

Like if the hero if prophesied to kill the bad guy, it ruins the suspense to me. In fact, I would for once like to see a movie where the prophecy is false about the hero beating the bad guy.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Two characters bumping into each other and falling in wuv because of it. Not, you know, starting with idle chatter, meeting with each other on a more regular basis, have longer and deeper conversations, creating a bond and then figuring out that there's something more between them than just bare-bones friendship.

Honestly, you'd think those stories were written by socially inpet basement dwell... Never mind.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Hah. Okay.

- If someone is an "expert" in their field or otherwise knows a lot, they're automatically an asshole know-it-all about everything. Alternatively, they're completely inept at everything EXCEPT their area of expertise.

- No one ever listens to the person who obviously knows what they're talking about. (I'm looking at you, Doctor Who writers.) Honestly. If I'm in a situation where it's definitely going down and someone seems to have a lot more knowledge than I do about what's going on: I'm following them, thanks. I'll ask questions about where they learned so much and who they are later. I'd like to focus on living now.

- Mental illness other than depression = violence. That, and, depression = helplessness.

- "Typical heroines". You know the ones. They're "feisty" and "spunky". They're perfect in every way, have no shortcomings and.. *gag*.. give me a realistic woman as heroine. Also, "strong women are always bitchy", which I think has been mentioned.

- Explaining the jokes and extended physical comedy. Neither are funny.

You can add me to the list of those who hate the romantic junk, too. I don't watch romances, either dramatic or comedic, because I don't like it. Please, please, please leave it out of every other type of movie. I promise that nobody has to fall in love (or even screw) for me to like the movie. This is an especially huge problem in TV shows. If there are two main characters and one is male and one is female, they WILL at some point either date or fuck and that is almost guaranteed to ruin the whole SHOW. Listen to me, Hollywood - IT ISN'T NECESSARY.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
estoria-etnia said:
Patinator said:
That whole samurai quick draw sword thing. Never understood it, never liked it. So terribly, inefficient.
Um, that's not a cliche, it's an actual martial art known as Iaido [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido] which developed from Iaijutsu [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu], which is the act of drawing the sword from its sheath. So you can't really complain about it being cliche since it technically isn't. I only really know this from reading Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai Deeper Kyo.

I'm adding to the hate for for a required, obligatory love interest. I am sick and tired of seeing a romance shoved in when it really does not need to be there.
SAMAS said:
Actually, that's real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaijutsu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido

As a person who as actually done Iaido, I can confirm this :). You tend to keep the sword sheathed unless you really need it and with the way the sword and sheath is designed you can get it out and strike or block almost instantly. The whole act of unsheathing it is the attack or the block in some circumstance.

The problem with a properly sharpened Katana is that they are insanely sharp to the point that you can kill yourself without proper use so you must be in full control of it at all times. You can't just have it hanging about, its a good idea to get done what your doing then sheath it. With Iaido, the whole point of the MA is to kill your opponent in as little moves as possible so you can get the sword back in.

As for my contribution to this thread, Adrian. That's my cliche, Adrian. You know what I'm talking about, she's in any movie that involves fighting or anything like that. That nagging love interest that for the whole movie "You might die" "He could kill you" "What if something happens to you" "YOU CAN'T WIN ROCK!!!" SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!
!!!
!!! YOU STUPID *****!!!!!

-cough-

Yeah I understand the importance of such character, to give the story some tension and for the protagonist to fall out with her through the midway point only for her to be there in the end to cheer him on. Its just that its over done and the girl knows nothing of which she talks about. This is worse when its about Boxing or MMA... Look, ***** do you know how many people have actually died in the Boxing or MMA circuit, not many, even when it was bareknuckled few died. In MMA I think they've been 2 reported deaths in the sport and only one of them in the cage and it was more due to him taking a fight when he shouldn't have.

I watched Warrior other day and it was a brilliant film my contender for top film of 2011 however Adrian appears in this one too "You might die" "These are fighters they could kill you" "What if you die"... HE WON'T DIE!!!! MMA and Boxing are statistically down there with the safest sports out there. They have doctors on the ready and a referee that can and will stop the fight if they feel that it would be anything close to dangerous or life threatening for the fighter to continue. Hell even if you get a bad enough cut they'll stop the fight.

Yeah characters like this annoy me. Wouldn't it be original if we had a character that actually rooted for out main character and didn't bloody start this crap.