CliffyB Doesn't Like MGS4

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
The guy didn't say that he does not like MGS4, he said that he is not making a game like MGS4.

Big difference.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
The guy didn't say that he does not like MGS4, he said that he is not making a game like MGS4.

Big difference.
At this point no one's sure what he said.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I think the headline completely misses the main point of the article, he's simply mentioning an area where he felt the first game failed and how he intends to improve on it.
He's not saying MGS4 is bad just that a lot of MGS4 is passive entertainment, which it is, it still gave me more hours of entertainment than GoW ever did. He didn't say he thought GoW or GoW2 would be better than MGS4....

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
Man what an arrogant twat. Who cares if he doesn't like Metal Gear; as a developer he should at least show some respect. HIS game had as much depth as a clogged sink.

Nov 28, 2007
yzzlthtz said:
Man what an arrogant twat. Who cares if he doesn't like Metal Gear; as a developer he should at least show some respect. HIS game had as much depth as a clogged sink.
Did you read the article, or the headline?

Teafo

Jun 26, 2008
I think the idea that CliffyB is trying to say here is that he wants to go in another direction than MGS cause they were story and sneaking heavy, whereas GoW is obviously a run and gun game. People have different play styles and at the moment, the run and gun way seems to be working out better for most, and the fast reload system and cover system introduced in GoW aids with that. Just as much as I love sneaking and espionage games, I have friends who prefer the run and gun method and we both thoroughly enjoy just about every FPS game we've played. The only part that I found to be bothersome about the idea of GoW2 was the sentence:

This time around there's more repetition.

This could lead to the game seeming melancholy and in need of a decent plot.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
This strikes me as very much a Itagaki statement, something to stir up controversy and let him feel important.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

h1ryu

Dec 31, 2007
Gears of War brought in the cover system???

Never got my head around that on cause it has been in many games before it, (and used just as well), Kill.Switch and Syphon Filter Dark Mirror spring to mind to name but 2...

yzzlthtz

May 1, 2008
thebobmaster said:
yzzlthtz said:
Did you read the article, or the headline?
uh, yeah the whole article read it. his quotes are strung together jargon and catch phrases. he pinned mgs4 like it's now some common flop of a game. "games are not movies". such a shallow and boring judgment that, while it has some merits in the current arena, completely fails to really communicate anything or accomplish anything in terms of game development. i mean come on, gears of war? it's a fun shooter. with a mostly dull story and poor acting and dialog slopped over it. that's what we should expect and probably will get from gears of war 2. this arrogant stab at mgs4 accomplishes nothing other than encouraging smug smiling and nodding and 'wot wots' from the "i know what makes a game good" crowd.
web 2.0? such a mistaken label for any gears of war game. the future of cutting edge gaming will surely have its streamlined shooters, but web 2.0 refers to a completely new level of interactivity merged with the app itself, like Spore or Little Big Planet.

bib12342004

May 14, 2008
he mad that he cant make gears of war look as good as MGS4. 360 doesnt have the power for it.
He should make it for the ps3 it would look better

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I burst out laughing at this. Seriously, people make the mistake of thinking MGS4 seperate's Story and gameplay. But they miss the point. The gameplay and story go hand in hand. Honestly, if you skipped all the cutscenes in MGS3, the ending fight with the boss would mean NOTHING to you. However for those of us that did, it meant so much more than simply pressing buttons. The same goes for MGS4. If you had skipped the cutscenes, the ending fight against Liquid would have been another fight. But the fact that the ***SPOILER*** harder you hit him, the more the ocelot in him came back,***END SPOILER*** was so epic for those of us that knew the story by heart.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is NOT passive entertainment.
Honestly, I don't take this guy seriously at all. I feel like he is taking a jab at a cult hit game simply to get a Zero Punctuation affect. Honestly if he feels like hes a big shot because he is too good to enjoy a game, then screw him. If you truly like Metal Gear Solid 4, then anything this idiot says means nothing.
Also, Metal Gear Solid is NOT a series for people that have ADD.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
[sarcasm]Yes, because obviously graphics are the be all end all holy grail of gaming right bib?[/sarcasm]

Also, you may want to look into capitalization and punctuation, might do you some good.

I have to agree with Cliffy in all honesty. MGS has been suffering from overdoing its cutscenes and MGS4 has definitely taken that over the top. I want to play a game, not watch a damn movie. If Kojima wants to make a MGS movie that bad, maybe he should pull an Advent Children and just make a damned CGI movie.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
TOGSolid said:
[sarcasm]Yes, because obviously graphics are the be all end all holy grail of gaming right bib?[/sarcasm]

Also, you may want to look into capitalization and punctuation, might do you some good.

I have to agree with Cliffy in all honesty. MGS has been suffering from overdoing its cutscenes and MGS4 has definitely taken that over the top. I want to play a game, not watch a damn movie. If Kojima wants to make a MGS movie that bad, maybe he should pull an Advent Children and just make a damned CGI movie.
Then don't play it. I don't see anyone forcing you to play it. It isn't a movie, and you miss the point of the cutscenes. The cutscenes give extra meaning to the gameplay. If you want to play a game, go play a game. Please do point to the person holding a gun to your head forcing you to "Watch a movie".
We that enjoy MGS4 enjoy it. We could care less if you see it as a movie. That's your ignorance.
Go play your ADD friendly gears of war.
Honestly I don't see why the hell someone is saying a game that obviously has a dedicated fan base is going "obselete".
And I do not see the point is saying that he isn't making the same kind of game. NO FUCKING SHIT?

rayman 101

Jun 7, 2008
Wow... one guy says that mgs4 is "passive entertainment" and everybody is on him, but when yahtzee disses the game for 5 minutes, nobody harldy cares.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
rayman 101 said:
Wow... one guy says that mgs4 is "passive entertainment" and everybody is on him, but when yahtzee disses the game for 5 minutes, nobody harldy cares.
Yes, but we like Yahtzee.

Saladfax

May 16, 2008
nilcypher said:
rayman 101 said:
Yes, but we like Yahtzee.
Indeed we do, but I think it becomes clear that Yahtzee is as much of a comedian as he is a critic (not, of course, that he doesn't often come up with valid criticisms).

MGS4 is a very well put together game experience, but, like they said, the amount of cutscenes "raised eyebrows." There's nothing wrong with this save perhaps the dialogue needed redundancy editing to trim it down, but that was more during exposition sequences than action.

Gears of War... it's basically something like "Predator," or "The Scorpion King" for video games. It provides a different kind of entertainment. A more mindless adrenaline kind reserved for action films when you don't want to think and just want more explosions.

Despite my hopes, I think that CliffyB might be right. It seems that often times really excellent story, characters, and dialogue can take the back burner to pretty graphics (Crysis), intense gameplay (Dark Sector, Painkiller, Condemned 2), a desire for open-ended/sandbox gameplay (Fable), or to physics puzzles (Half-Life 2). Just kidding about that last one.

Sethran

Jedi
Jun 15, 2008
The thing of it is, Cliff wasn't dissing MGS4. He didn't call it a bad game, he said it wasn't what they were making. In realistic terms, MGS4 really is the opposite of Gears of War while staying in the same third-person shooter genre. Gears has always been focused more on gameplay than story, while MGS has always been the opposite.

"Metal Gear Solid is our example of the game we're not doing," he added. "Passive entertainment is on its way out - you need to hook up with this web 2.0 stuff."
Tell me where he says MGS is a bad game in that quote.

Don't start ranting because he's dissing the game because he isn't, he's merely pointing out that people are getting tired of story-based "action" games as the gaming population shifts from select to mainstream.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Sethran said:
The thing of it is, Cliff wasn't dissing MGS4. He didn't call it a bad game, he said it wasn't what they were making. In realistic terms, MGS4 really is the opposite of Gears of War while staying in the same third-person shooter genre. Gears has always been focused more on gameplay than story, while MGS has always been the opposite.

"Metal Gear Solid is our example of the game we're not doing," he added. "Passive entertainment is on its way out - you need to hook up with this web 2.0 stuff."
Tell me where he says MGS is a bad game in that quote.

Don't start ranting because he's dissing the game because he isn't, he's merely pointing out that people are getting tired of story-based "action" games as the gaming population shifts from select to mainstream.
My problem is that he tries to speak for everyone. I'm certainly not tired of this "passive" crap. Niether are the other millions of people that love MGS4 more than his game. I think he just has his panties in a bunch because a "passive" game is garnering more love than his precious "Web 2.0" shit,

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
I don't see what the big deal is about a game having a long intro, with the 8 minute installation once you've hit "New Game" the intro is only 15 minutes, and hell I remember seeing those Gekko way earlier than 23 minutes, but now that I remember that "Television" thing I could be wrong.

Also, I just can't comment on this article, I can't believe Cliff goes out of his way and makes a fool of himself like this, I expect another penny arcade strip making fun of him.

Besides remember when "Itagaki" was talking about how Ninja Gaiden 2 would shape the face of gaming and makes "Devil May Cry 4 look bad" and "Is better than Ninja Gaiden Sigma which has no evolution" (and Ironically, on the back of NJS's box it says "THE REAL REASON YOU BOUGHT A PS3!!!) - Gears 2 looks like it's going to be good but all these stupid attacks just make us think like they are trying too hard.