CliffyB: Epic Must "Drag" the Industry Into the Next Generation

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Development cost will be the same as the engine will be licensed at the same price with better tools for developing with it. This tech is aimed at the new gen of consoles so there will absolutely no problem with having hardware that will run it. This is how the industry has always progressed. Nothing new here. After years of stagnation we are finally getting some progress. I cant wait. I might actually need to consider spending a little money on my 3 year old PC which can still play anything I throw at it. For now I know it has at least another year before the next Xbox comes out and developers start pushing PC tech again.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
Every time someone talks about rendering Avatar in real time I just have to point and laugh. Yes, you're really going to be able to render Avatar, a film that took 40 000 processing cores, and each frame took about 30 hours to render.

I'm sorry, but I have to call bullshit. You will never have realtime film level CG in a video game.

Then again, I really shouldn't be surprised when CliffyB spouts off bullshit anymore.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
No thank you. I happy with what we have here. In my eyes, the more money people spend on tech, the less daring they are with gameplay and story.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Good lord, it's like Epic are trying to be a parody of everything that's wrong with the gaming industry.

They had their time, now they need to either stop being insane or just go away.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I want games that are actually good games, not just pretty, dammit! I think games need to stop trying to be ultra-photorealistic and start focusing on what makes good gameplay and telling a story using the whole medium, not just cutscenes!

This generation of gaming has been a disgrace, and next generation is looking up to be more of the same if not worse so far...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Freechoice said:
Amnestic said:
I'd just like to remind people that this is the same person who thought that Fatal Frame - a horror game - needed a multiplayer aspect.

We can handle the next generation just fine without him.
What, like co-op? Wasn't there twin sisters or something like that? It's not like he said it needed team deathmatch or something.

And considering half of anything is on Unreal, I don't think it's implausible.
How To Ruin Horror 101: Have a partner in Co-Op.

Apr 28, 2008
Dexter111 said:
Saulkar said:
Irridium said:
And... how do they plan on keeping game budgets from skyrocketing out of control?

I think we should solve that problem before we tackle making games look even more graphically advanced.
This is how. The vast majority of a time a high poly, cinematic quality model is made first (some vehicles and buildings usually the exceptions) which is then baked onto a low poly mesh (which takes time to build in its own right) to create the normal map. With more advanced game engines and hardware you completely cut out the low poly mesh and constraints and in turn save time there. Additionally higher resolution textures are much more easier to make due to a lack of any constraints (speaking from experience here)
and game engines are more than capable of scaling their resolution. Just because it is higher resolution does not mean that the detail is anymore difficult to add. There are deffinitely exceptions to this but not that many.

Overall with more powerful hardware you are limited by fewer constraints and in turn can work more easily. Once again there are easily found exceptions but overall it would make many aspects of game design quicker. The most notable exception being level design.
Oh look, someone with a clue saying something :p

Every time someone says something stupid like "do we need a new generation SO SOON" in threads like these AFTER 8-9 YEARS I want to faceplant my head against a wall.

Level design is also getting easier with middleware progressing and being licensed together with big engines like Unreal or CryEngine etc.
Things like SpeedTree make plant development easier, Enlighten makes light source placement and rendering a lot easier etc.
There's middleware and APIs for UI development, animation, lip-synching, AI routines etc. etc. etc. being developed making a lot of the otherwise arduous tasks a lot easier to do and being developed upon.
We'll see. For each console generation, as the tech became better the cost to make games rose and rose. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

If costs don't rise, hopefully then developers can put more money into hiring decent writers. Because story and writing is an area games seriously need improvement in.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
Cliffy is getting full of himself, Epic is a relic, Gears and Halo is pretty much to blame for making action games casual, so I'd say gaming as a whole don't need any more help from them. People should stop giving them so much attention, but since the mainstream media and gamers seem to like mediocre things instead of what's actually important I suppose it's asking for too much.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Buretsu said:
"It needs to be a quantum leap."

People keep using that phrase... I do not think it means what they think it means...

Quote of the night.

As we all know, Graphics always make the game, that is why Kane and Lynch 2 is so much better than every game made before 2004. My hope one day is for games to ignore all creative visuals and instead wallow in the horrid uncanny valley that these kind of games most likely produce, Abandonment of imagination and colour in pursuit of the look of the real world which we rarely ever see having to live in it and all.

Now at least Jim will have to spend less time convincing us that Cliffy B is not worth the time of day.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
ok, I don't mean to be rude, given that he to some extent knows what he's doing given he does make good games (that nonetheless have some distinctly obnoxious elements and practices built in), but the more he says, the more I want to slap him.

His wanting of more achievements just so he can force people to play his games longer, the 'justification' of placing dlc on disk, the insistence of multiplayer, the demanding of better graphics even when the current graphics level is crippling game budgets... its like he wants to take the worst and most infuriating aspects of the current consoles/games and make them ten times worse.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
DVS BSTrD said:
Aprilgold said:
DVS BSTrD said:
It's not MUST it's want to. And why do we need another generation so soon anyway?
Because if you don't change the hardware for something long enough, technology and ambitions go higher but are capped because of the hardware their using.
But HAVE they capped it? It doesn't seem like we're close enough to justify another jump.
Umm.. yeah... it's been a long time coming. PC gamers have been waiting for years for a new generation of consoles, that way our second-hand assets aren't so horridly gimped.

McMullen said:
Good lord, it's like Epic are trying to be a parody of everything that's wrong with the gaming industry.

They had their time, now they need to either stop being insane or just go away.
Psssh, yeah, Epic should just go away, nevermind that their engine powers countless AAA titles like BioShock, Batman Arkham, Borderlands, Mass Effect, etc etc.

Sarcasm aside, this is Epic's time. Seems like you don't realize it, but they have an unseen dominance over the gaming industry that is comparable to none.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I enjoy the look of oldschool games & believe that good graphics & faster rendering do not an awesome game make. Focus less on the look & more on the story & gameplay. Also with the industry as it is now, keeping the price down & making it lower should be prioritized.

Right now the game I'm looking forward to the most is being made with RPGMaker, that's an 80s-90s game engine.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Unreal wasn't considered good? Well, that's a bit sad. That was basically my introduction to gaming, even though I was like 9 at the time.

Still, I don't remember it being that bad. I loved every translator popup I got, like every step I took was a piece of a puzzle.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Irridium said:
And... how do they plan on keeping game budgets from skyrocketing out of control?

I think we should solve that problem before we tackle making games look even more graphically advanced.
I agree. It's a similar problem to the one we're having with smart-phones.

"No, I don't give a shit about voice-recognition. At least not until you can give me a phone who's battery doesn't die on me every time I have the temerity to so much as try and use it!"

Damn near rendering Avatar in real time sounds mighty fine and all, but I really don't think that that is our main concern at the moment. Graphics are already mighty fine. Not perfect, but more than good enough.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
Ah, lovely! So much joyous, mindless hate! Love it!
You do realise that this is the escapist forums right?

TBH I agree with him, an unreal engine 4 is almost overdue, as soon as MS gets on to announcing their next console I would hope that developers are making games with way more futuristic tech, because I do think that some of the games made in the U3 engine are beginning to look more than a little bit dated.

I mean Gears 3 is still gorgeous and all, but I would love to see what they can do with the sort of tech from that samaritan video (cannae find it at the moment, but I figure most of you will know which one I mean)

Oh and I gotta say, the hate that he is getting for this is kinda impressive, I usually expect it when there is an announcement of a new first person shooter that isn't made by valve, or if EA or Activision say anything, Im kinda surprised CliffyB has managed to reach the heady levels of hate you guys normally reserve for... well everyone else in the gaming world

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
No pushing graphics further at a time when production cost mean a game needs to sell millions just to break is not good. But still the console market is in need of a shake up. What we need is for other areas of game development to catch up to graphics, but that is not going to happen if graphics keeps racing ahead.

canadamus_prime said:
Somebody better cool that guy's ego before his head explodes.
I'm on it *grabs cricket bat*