Clothing Items you just don't understand

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I have myself a nice dress fedora to go with my long-coat. It's a useful accessory for me, when I just want to think and run the risk of having to make eye contact with people. I can just pull the brim down and watch the area in front of me. Also, great for a passive greeting. As for the coat, it fits me like a well tailored suit and has plenty of pockets for me to store miscellaneous thing-a-ma-bobs.

That said, I don't care for the look of crocs.

Captcha: Upper crust

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Kasawd said:
I have myself a nice dress fedora to go with my long-coat. It's a useful accessory for me, when I just want to think and run the risk of having to make eye contact with people. I can just pull the brim down and watch the area in front of me. Also, great for a passive greeting. As for the coat, it fits me like a well tailored suit and has plenty of pockets for me to store miscellaneous thing-a-ma-bobs.

That said, I don't care for the look of crocs.

Captcha: Upper crust
I don't think crocs are designed to look good, they're all about the comfort.

In a weird and twisted way they do kind of look good, in an "I don't care about looks, so come and have comfy feet with me." sort of way.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
JayElleBee said:
YingDerpington said:
Okay so the fingerless glove thing has been pointed out to me, but now I feel I must justify my logic. I figured that despite doing typing, writing etc. your fingers would still feel like freezing over (they did the one time I used fingerless gloves so I figured why the hell keep my palm warm but not the fingers?). 'Twould seem I was mistaken.
I wear fingerless gloves while gaming or using a tablet computer. My hands get clammy when I hold a control for too long, and the gloves stop my palms from sticking to it. And when I use a tablet, the side of my hand gets sore from rubbing against it. The glove prevents this. I never wear them for keeping the cold away. c:
OMG I have the same problem! I think I might have some fingerless gloves lying around as well...
Thanks for the tip.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Personally I just hate neon colored clothing. I won't condem you for your overly bright hyper-sunshine leggings but avoid looking at them so long as I'm in your presence.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
Coppernerves said:
JayElleBee said:
I wear fingerless gloves while gaming or using a tablet computer. My hands get clammy when I hold a control for too long, and the gloves stop my palms from sticking to it. And when I use a tablet, the side of my hand gets sore from rubbing against it. The glove prevents this. I never wear them for keeping the cold away. c:
OMG I have the same problem! I think I might have some fingerless gloves lying around as well...
Thanks for the tip.
You're quite welcome. :D Glad I could be of assistance.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
I'm going to be honest -- I didn't read the whole thread. But I don't understand people that wear leggings as pants. Not going to go into detail... but... yeah. To the people that do: please stop.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
YingDerpington said:
personally I don't see the point in fingerless gloves unless you're using a firearm.
Honestly, fingerless gloves aren't that useful if you're handling firearms, in my experience. Since they still provide all the problems of operating the weapon while gloved, but don't protect your fingers. And there are a fair number of firearms that are designed to be handled while gloved.

They are pretty useful durring long drives, however, since you can use the padding of the glove on the wheel to reduce stress on the hand, while still maintaining the manual dexterity to operate the vehicle.

Also, at my old job, I had to handle shipping packages constantly, all night. Each package had to be scanned, and keyed into a wrist mounted scanner. You couldn't operate the scanner while gloved, so most people worked bare handed. If you wanted to use gloves, you were pretty much forced to use fingerless gloves, or mutilate gloves you had.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Ankle socks.

They look bad.

Always.

And don't give me any practical bull-. Most shoes right now are designed in such a way as to be comfortable sock or no-sock, especially running ones.
So if you want to show off your ankles while you go on a jog(ladies, please do), just drop the socks entirely.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
Here's a recent one: wedge sneakers. I have to admit, I don't think they look bad (cute like sneakers but they make your ass look great because of the heel) but practically speaking I don't understand them. They can't be comfy, so why not just wear dressy heels if you're dressing up? It's not like you can do a lot of walking in them or anything sporty like real sneakers.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Naqel said:
Ankle socks.

They look bad.

Always.

And don't give me any practical bull-. Most shoes right now are designed in such a way as to be comfortable sock or no-sock, especially running ones.
So if you want to show off your ankles while you go on a jog(ladies, please do), just drop the socks entirely.
Really?

Socks aren't just about comfort, they're about hygiene. They attempt [not always successfully] to protect the shoe from sweat/bacteria.

And unless you wear boots, full socks are pointless and a waste of resources.

Demonjazz

Sexually identifies as Tiefling
Sep 13, 2008
Tight pants, Why do you want your clothes to unnecessarily tight. I want my clothes comfortable! I don't want to feel like somebody is trying to strangle my waist. Or the fact that people put their phones in their back pocket, especially in those tight jeans. To me putting really anything that's bigger than a slip of paper in your back pocket is like asking to be pick pocketed, or to have someone stare at your ass because you got a giant bulge where your phone is! Or in some cases your phone screen is actually sticking out your pocket
That and leaving the stickers on hats... It's the equivalent of wearing the size of your shirt on the outside, Do you want people to marvel at how big your hat size is! Do you want people to know what your hat size is so that everybody can know if they can trade hats with you! If you wanted that, why don't you just say what your hat size is when they ask. Just look on the inside of the cap!

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I keep my wallet attached to my jeans via chain. Not so much to prevent theft because they can just break the belt loop it's attached to(although the extra time it takes them would certainly help stop them), but to help keep it from being lost. I've seen wallets fall out of pockets in public restrooms and rest areas.

I don't understand intentionally torn clothing. I guess I just don't see the appeal in having a giant hole on my thighs, knees or shins. I also don't understand why someone would cut the legs off of their pants/shorts to the point that their pockets stick out the bottom. It's...kinda really ugly and, to me, it makes you look like you don't have any proper lower body clothing.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
Mah bad, brah. I didn't read the entire thread. xP I'll agree, though. Chains are kinda silly when they're just there. I don't think they look all that great. Believe me, I don't wear mine as a fashion statement.

Sep 14, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
Mah bad, brah. I didn't read the entire thread. xP I'll agree, though. Chains are kinda silly when they're just there. I don't think they look all that great. Believe me, I don't wear mine as a fashion statement.
Same, I wear a chain with my wallet because I am incredibly paranoid someone will steal it! XD
you must have assassins creed style thieves, how is someone going to reach into your pocket with your pants on you and steal your wallet? :/

if someone remotely gets near my pocket(s), they're about to get one swift chop to the arm followed with whatever angry hulk move i come up with next.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
I'm more paranoid that it'll fall out of my pocket without my realizing it. That's happened to a number of my pens and even my phone, on more than one occasion.

gmaverick019 said:
Pickpockets. I don't personally understand how it works, but pickpockets are known to slip into your pocket and steal things without you noticing. It's especially bad with iPods and iPhones. I can't recall where, but there's a town somewhere that it's an awful, awful idea to listen to music or do anything on your iPod/iPhone involving headphones, out in public. They're a telltale sign for iDevice thieves to rob you and sell your stuff on the net.

Sep 14, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Exius Xavarus said:
i guess my attire is just accustomed to anti thievery, i wear khaki shorts 99% of the year(due to comfort on my body) and that shit is much lower and buttoned up than your average pocket. unless you have some lanky ass gorilla arms that are snake like, you're going to have one hell of a time getting anything out of my pockets.

seriously, i challenge anyone to get stuff out of those side pockets when they are buttoned, if you can honestly get something out of those without me noticing, you're a fucking master thief and shouldn't be picking pockets but fuckin banks.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Less secure back and front pockets are a more common target. Because they, unlike side pockets, usually do not have measures in place to keep their contents from spilling out. But it's easier to pick loose fitting pants than tight fitting pants because there's more leeway for movement without significant tug.