COD Black Ops 2 is actually bringing innovation to COD

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
So Black Ops 2 just got announced and with it a vast majority of info. Sorry about the wall of text but I just thought I would outline the new things coming in to a franchise that is getting rather stale.

Firstly it'll be set in 2025 where the US is in a new Cold War with China, a newly risen super power, over precious materials. Then the US is attacked by cyber terrorists who somehow get control of the US drones and uses them to lay waste to it's own cities. New time, new setting.

The leader of this group is Menendez and instead of the usual black and white style evil guy he will have a fleshed out backstory which is being created by the guy who did Heath Ledgers Joker for the recent Batman films. Yay no more one dimensional bad guys.

They've improved the engine with special attention given to characters and facial animations. Also gone is the linear, scripted story of old. Instead there will be branching story paths where things like failing a mission will have consequences.

A new feature is something called "Strike Force". These are special missions where you control a black ops group consisting of soldiers, UAVS and robot walkers. You can change between these units at will by zooming to an overhead view and putting yourself into any unit you want at the time. You can also issue orders from this view to units making it almost RTS like.

The enemies and allies will also be more diverse in campaign with you teaming up with and fighting against UAVs and Walkers as well as normal soldiers. The technology isn't too OTT but there are many interesting things such as wrist mounted explosive launchers and sniper rifles that let you see through walls.

So is this too little too late or is it a much needed breath of fresh air?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
It sounds like the story of Metal Gear Solid.

How old is Metal Gear Solid? Pretty old.

So much for originality.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
These sound like good things. Whether the game raises the multiplayer skill ceiling to a reasonable level remains to be seen.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I, for once, welcome any amount of innovation the developers put into the campaign.

After years of COD's campaign being "the afterthought people use to get used to the weapons on multiplayer", I wouldn't care less if the multiplayer mode is the same as MW3 with different perks and some focus is spend on the single player experience.

Jan 13, 2012
CoD and the word innovation in the same sentence. And here I thought the 2012 apocalypse wouldn't happen. Well I guess their trying to fine a niche market perhaps.

btw, robots are not fun to fight, they don't have all the pleasure of killing a squishy organic.

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
There may be gameplay innovation, but someone neglected to tell their marketing department. The Codblops2 website says it's in the near future, during a 21st century Cold War "where technology and weapons have converged to create a new generation of warfare".

Technology and weapons development change warfare? The hell you say.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Treyarch, to me at least, has always seemed more willing to try different things, and listen to their fans. Examples of this are trying to change sniping in Black Ops, the extensive zombie maps (which have been a huge hit with fans), and the dialogue that many of the zombie characters use. There are constant in-jokes among those characters about the level design and other stuff that fans always 'complain' about. So, at least we know they're listening. And since so many people are always saying they want something new from CoD, I'm not surprised that it's Treyarch that decided to attempt something first. Hopefully they pull it off.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
All I can say is that any innovation is a good thing for this series and it's refreshing that they're trying something different. And I was genuinely shocked that Woods is still alive

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's still going to be a 4 hour campaign. They said a lot of cool shit about Black Ops campaign before it was released and look how that one turned out. Just another 4 hour campaign that no one cared about. It's a fuckin' CoD game. How good can the campaign be in a generic mindless FPS with the main focus on multiplayer? Don't be naive.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
GethBall said:
CoD and the word innovation in the same sentence. And here I thought the 2012 apocalypse wouldn't happen. Well I guess their trying to fine a niche market perhaps.

btw, robots are not fun to fight, they don't have all the pleasure of killing a squishy organic.
It won't all be robots, in fact some of the game is set during the 1980s

Jan 13, 2012
Hazy992 said:
GethBall said:

Soooo.... it's either boring robot fights or shooting the same guy in a brown uniform.

Ohh.... there you are CoD, glad you didn't get too excited to add some fun innovation.

Hazy992

Aug 1, 2010
GethBall said:
Hazy992 said:
GethBall said:

Soooo.... it's either boring robot fights or shooting the same guy in a brown uniform.

Ohh.... there you are CoD, glad you didn't get too excited to add some fun innovation.
Yeah it's not as simple as that

Jdb

May 26, 2010
Until I see multiplayer footage, I assume this will be the same thing in a different package: A throw-away campaign with a low skill ceiling multiplayer.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
DustlessDragoon said:
Well, surprisingly it had my interest. I'll wait and see. Hopefully the multiplayer will see some changes aswell. It being set in the future we'll hopefully see some different weapons as well. The strike missions sound like they could be really good. We shall see :p

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
endtherapture said:

So much for originality.
The only similarity to MGS that I can see is the Walkers, what else seems similar?

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
DustlessDragoon said:
endtherapture said:

So much for originality.
The only similarity to MGS that I can see is the Walkers, what else seems similar?
Cyber Terrorists.

Cold war.

Robots.

Black ops group.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
endtherapture said:
DustlessDragoon said:
endtherapture said:

So much for originality.
Cyber Terrorists.

Cold war.

Robots.

Black ops group.
The cyber terrorism is a different kind, in MGS it was mainly under the radar type terrorism whereas this is wide scale public terrorism. This a Cold War with a different country for different reasons and as for the robots there weren't too many in MGS to be honest and the robots in BO2 are unmanned war fighting bots. Also this is a completely different time frame with MGS being set nearer to modern day while BO2 is set a few more years in the future.