CoD is a very good game, we wouldn't be discussing it if it wasn't.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
People have different opinions and as long as they have them for the right reasons, that's all that really matters.

Also, I can now safely say that The Escapist is most definetly NOT the shining haven of awesomeness that some people make it out to be. The sheer amount of pretentiousness and ill will, ESPECIALLY in these kinds of threads, pretty much seals it as "Just another gaming website", at least for me.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Like i've said before, I don't hate the CoD games and I can see why people enjoy them.

They just aren't my cup of tea so to speak.

I used to be a major fan of FPS games, I was in a good team when UT was going and played every FPS that came out up to around 2004.

No one game turned me off them. I can still play things like Fallout 3/NV that have FPS elements. I just found myself feeling a bit bored when playing them.

But I don't hate them.

They sell, people make money, developers get paid and they make more games.

At the end of the day it's a win win. People get games they enjoy (and love it or hate it, games like CoD seel in the millions) and the rest of us get games we enjoy.

As for the discussion value.

It's a popular franchise. It doesn't matter if it is good or bad it's going to be discussed.

Talking about the story on these forums doesn't make it a good story. I could waffle on about the plot to Manic Miner but it wouldn't make it a fantastic game (although it was ... but that was in the 80's and I don't think it actually had a plot).

While they can't be called "bad" games, like I said millions buy them so something must be working, I wouldn't exactly hail them as the second coming either.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
I don't like CoD, but I still talk about it because it's very popular, and it speaks a thousand words about the current gaming industry. Just because it's not good (in my opinion) doesn't mean it's not worth talking about.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
[EDIT drei] tl:dr. If CoD was a crap game, would it be discussed and hated upon as much as it is?

... if a game is good it wouldn't be hated upon. Flawed logic is FLAWED.
Besides, crap things are discussed ALL THE TIME. ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. Like the holocoast, at the risk of invoking Godwin's Law. WELL WE DISCUSS THAT SO IT COULDN'T BE A TERRIBLE THING!

Justice4L

Aug 24, 2011
My problem with COD is that it used to be so brilliant. Look at COD 4, 5 then look at 7. It used to be be about being a soldier, not James Bond.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
I have yet to enjoy a CoD game past modern warfare 1 and even then, only the campaign. Ive played the campaign of modern warfare 2 and black ops, both were at the least sub-par and at worst, horrible (i know that the games are based around multiplayer, but if it cant live up to the singleplayer, it shouldnt have it).

CoD does well because it is well marketed, particularly being attractive to children. kids are easy to get interested in particular products, in this case its "you are a one man army, here is a gun, here is explosive stuff, here is everyone else, have fun".

Rol3x

Jan 24, 2008
They make nice DLC sized changes to generic shooters every year and sell them as a whole game.
I still play it occasionally if I want a less cerebral multiplayer experience or if I want to grief.
I do like playing it but I know I shouldn't because I hate what MW2 and onwards represents to the industry. It is fun tho curse you CoD

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
Zacharious-khan said:
"Hitler must have had some good ideas or else people wouldn't still be talking about him..."
ill just leave this here
why do i feel that you've taken lessons from a Mr. Beck

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
If CoD was a crap game, would it be discussed and hated upon as much as it is?
If twilight was a good book would it be dicussed and hated this much?
if ET on the 2600 was a good game would we discuss it this much?
if sonic wasn't on life support on the Wii would people rant about how much his games suck?

All games have their place, there's Good games praised for being good (Half Life 2)

Games that are Uber popular amongst people who don't know better because they've never ventured far in the world of gaming outside of "Main stream" (Call of Duty)

Games that people get ticked off about and hate from what they are (Custer's Revenge)

Games that are so horrible we ALL talk about them (E.T. 2600)

Games that have particular parts that make it so everyone bashes them without playing them (Zero Wing [aka ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US])

In short: ALL games get talked about whether they're good OR bad OR anything inbetween as long as they were extreme enough in that direction; your argument is invalid and poorly based

now yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's kinda funny how you'll say "my opinion is fact" (as paraphrased by the thread title" then whineing at us for giving reasons why it's wrong

don't post a sweeping generalization unless you're ready for a discussion
I could just as easily say "Halo is crap" (...which I personally do think) and suddenly be in the middle of an arguement on why it's good and why it's bad and blah blah blah

Get what I'm saying or not? I tend to ramble especially when I have the flu...

Fledge

Jan 28, 2010
The infamous Tianamen Square incident was awesome! That's why it gets brought up in conversation all the time, right........right?

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
ToastiestZombie said:
[EDIT drei] tl:dr. If CoD was a crap game, would it be discussed and hated upon as much as it is?
it all makes sense now!
E.T. on the atari must be the greatest game of all time!

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
People discuss things, regardless of whether it's good or not.

In this case, not. Not for years.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Composer said:
Zacharious-khan said:
"Hitler must have had some good ideas or else people wouldn't still be talking about him..."
ill just leave this here
why do i feel that you've taken lessons from a Mr. Beck
Lesson*

1. Compare "X" to Hitler.
2. ??????
3. Profit

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Sorry, I don't concur.

You want to know why?

Even though the Nazis and their "legacy" are discussed frequently and are part of any good history lesson it does not imply that their motivations were just, the ideals of high value, their methods appropriate and the things they've commited acceptable.​

They did have nice uniforms though not like those ugly ones from the COD franchise.

[edit]Oooh crap, I got Ninja'd[/edit]

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
The last few days I have seen about ten threads with discussion about CoD. Most slamming it, but some are either neutral and the minority are praising it. Now, i've seen threads that go into deep discussion about the games campaign, would we be seeing those threads if CoD was the shovelware title that many people point it out to be. Look at all the CoD games, there hasnt really been one that was universally accepted as bad. Im not saying bad as in, its ruining the games industry because no innovation! Im saying bad as in proper bad, bad controls, bad gameplay and bad graphics. There hasnt been one.

Look at the recently released Battlefield 3, it had a single player campaign. It was as generic a single player game as there can be. It is just a way to show off the graphics without the frustrations of multiplayer. There has litterally been no threads yet discussing the single player campaign, none talking about the characters and none talking about what happened. Whereas i'll bet that when MW3 comes out there will be threads discussing the characters, the plot and the set pieces. That is because CoD is a good game, people can give it flack for not innovating but when you get down to it. There would never of been CoD haters, CoD defenders and Battlefield fanboys attacking CoD if CoD 1 and CoD 3 were unmemorable and bad games.

You see people asking why there buying MW3, but you never see threads asking why people buy Sniper Ghost Warrior.

My question to you escapees is. If CoD was a technically terrible franchise, would any of you even be talking about it?

[EDIT] Deleted so I can keep my sanity.

[EDIT zwei] People seem to be missing the point, this isn't a piece of logic that can apply to anything, its a piece of logic that applies to CoD and CoD only.

It's a crap game in the sense that the designers don't (or aren't allowed) to make it different from the last...4 games now? It's basically the same game released year after year with minor improvements. Believe it or not, this is a bad thing. If it hadn't been for the fact that Infinity Ward fought tooth and nail against Activision to make CoD 4 Modern Warfare we wouldn't HAVE the modern warfare setting. It was going to be CoD 4 Kill More Nazis. Think about that--if they hadn't tried being original, we'd still be killing Nazis today. If they made such improvements each game they released, THEN the haters wouldn't have legit arguments. Also, which CoD is considered the best one to date? CoD4. The one that tried being different from its predecessors.

Releasing the same game year after year is bad. People who hate CoD hate that because that doesn't deserve high praise. As a standalone game, CoD is a great game. But it's complete shit when you look at the bigger picture.
Releasing the game year after year with minimum innovation also leads to the death of the franchise:

Guitar Hero -- died from a competitor swooping in and being original (Rockband) + market oversaturation from yearly releases.
Tony Hawk series -- died from a competitor swooping in and being original (Skate) + market oversaturation from yearly releases.

Notice a trend? Notice how both are owned by Activision? Do you want CoD to die? I don't. I just want them to actually improve the game, try being original for once.

As to why people don't say the same thing about Battlefield or other games? Well...when did Battlefield 2 come out? How does it compare to BF3? Is BF3 the same game with minor improvements or is it a major overhaul?

tl:dr. If CoD was a crap game, would it be discussed and hated upon as much as it is?
Replace CoD with Transformers 2 and ask the same question...