Collegiate Quidditch Players Seek NCAA Recognition

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
blalien said:
You know what would make real life Quidditch much more awesome? Segways. And by awesome I mean pathetic.

Nothing makes a man a man like a segway

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
rsvp42 said:
WrongSprite said:
WanderFreak said:
No more ridiculous than watching a bunch of fat guys smacking each others asses tossing a ball around.
My thoughts precisely. This is no less ridiculous than any other sport.
Look, I'm not a huge sports nut or anything, but this activity is clearly a lot sillier than any mainstream sport and even most of the lesser-known ones. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about it, but the fact is that it's a pale imitation of imagined magic-based sport from a series of popular books. It's barely similar to the source material and the real-life brooms can only get in the way of what is otherwise a game of running and throwing balls through hoops, which isn't much different from basketball.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play it if they want to have fun, but I don't see the point of trying to get the NCAA to recognize it when even more ubiquitous games like ultimate frisbee or dodgeball do just fine on their own. It's just some nerds taking up the wrong cause for a nerdy game that will just die out eventually anyway (and this is coming from a nerdy guy). It just reeks of a bloated sense of importance.
What, compared to football which originated from a bunch of peasants kicking around a pigs bladder? Right, completely sensible.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Lt. Vinciti said:
CTF I want to be on the Harvard CTF team...
They should do that, but with paintball or BB guns.

And the maps/arenas should be fucking massive.

And the games last for like 3 days, the game active all 72 hours.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
zHellas said:
Lt. Vinciti said:
CTF I want to be on the Harvard CTF team...
They should do that, but with paintball or BB guns.

And the maps/arenas should be fucking massive.

And the games last for like 3 days, the game active all 72 hours.
So...Aerosoft/Paintball as a college sport....?

Would be badass!

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Dude, look up Humans vs Zombies. Its a big game of siege/assault/zombie survival played with NERF blasters. Designed by college students, and slowly taking the world by storm.

geekcj

Mar 26, 2009
There's a debate that a real sport is one that drains you physically and emotionally (football, basketball, soccer, boxing, tennis, etc) and not a competitive game that uses almost no physical activity (baseball, bowling, golf, anything you can smoke cigarettes and do) After reading the "muggle quiddich" rules on wiki it appears to be a lot like soccer with vast amounts of running witch would qualify it, as nerdy as the original source may be, a real sport. and with as fat as America is people need all the motivation we can get to get us active. If 1 person plays this and it keeps them from getting fat and lazy then the NCAA should accept it as a sport.

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Can we get Spleef, Ultimate Frisbee, and Underwater Basket Weaving to be recognized by the NCAA, too? The arcane Olympic Committee still won't give a Starcraft Medal!

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
lhin said:
Iwata said:
I've seen videos of this "sport" being played out. I never felt more sorry for other human beings in my entire life.
I would disagree with you but goddamn.......
I, uh....well my college has a quidditch team and they play quite often....

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
HAHAHAHA!!

*Snicker* Sorry. I nearly burst out laughing right in the middle of lecture. In real life.

Holy shit, that picture looks like a group of Harry Potter LARPERs trying to play dodgeball in a soccer field...with broomsticks between their legs???

Amazing.
"Where there's a will..."

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Looks a lot less ridiculous, and more fun when you remove the brooms from the equation. :/

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
WrongSprite said:
rsvp42 said:
Look, I'm not a huge sports nut or anything, but this activity is clearly a lot sillier than any mainstream sport and even most of the lesser-known ones. I don't want to get into a philosophical debate about it, but the fact is that it's a pale imitation of imagined magic-based sport from a series of popular books. It's barely similar to the source material and the real-life brooms can only get in the way of what is otherwise a game of running and throwing balls through hoops, which isn't much different from basketball.

I'm not saying people shouldn't play it if they want to have fun, but I don't see the point of trying to get the NCAA to recognize it when even more ubiquitous games like ultimate frisbee or dodgeball do just fine on their own. It's just some nerds taking up the wrong cause for a nerdy game that will just die out eventually anyway (and this is coming from a nerdy guy). It just reeks of a bloated sense of importance.
What, compared to football which originated from a bunch of peasants kicking around a pigs bladder? Right, completely sensible.
Sports need to go through a long process of cultural acceptance and integration. While I don't doubt your account of the genesis of football, it's fair to note that its current popularity and spread didn't happen overnight. In my opinion (and apparently others') Quidditch has a long way to go before we should be expected to take it seriously. If we someday have a real sport that started with this game, so be it, but right now it's just a nerdy homage and nothing more.

It's like when people make up religions and then expect the whole of society to accept and respect them like faiths that are several millennia old. Point being that if a sport becomes officially recognized, it should be because it's actually widespread, popular, and significant, not because some college kids decided they couldn't have fun without NCAA certification and forced it to happen. I just don't get why they'd care at this stage.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
Iwata said:
I've seen videos of this "sport" being played out. I never felt more sorry for other human beings in my entire life.
At least they're not LARPing ;-P

Scratch that, this is worse, LARPers never tried to waste the NCAA's time...

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
i dont know how many of you have actually attended a real quidditch match, but it is a really intense sport, full contact, and really deserves recognition. Yeah, it needs to be a bit reorganized before it deserves recognition, but its awesome