Colonial Marines Developers Should Own Up to Screwing Up

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I don't really any anything against "social gaming", as long as it isn't forced upon me.

Lucid_Camel

Feb 19, 2013
They should but wont.I watched all the cutscenes on youtube to spare me wasting money to rent it. Even if the graphics sucked, the story reworked..but ya alot of shoulds and coulds. The only saving grace to this bad story is..alien 4s plot which is uneffected by CM. Was expecting a let down mostly because of all the advertising and reuse of the demo footage in the trailers. Never liked boarderlands anyway lol

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
I like the idea of a share button.. But only when playing with friends and although I like playing against live players I do find it a bit invasive at times. Like everyone on my list can see how much I play my games and I don't really care for that. An invisible mode would be great and fix this issue. I don't really have much to say about aliens though. I'll have to think on that some more first.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
The watching/giving control of your single player game to a friend sounds awesome. Back before the mortgage, kids, cars and demanding jobs, I used to go to my buddy's house the next town over. Me, him, two high school pals and my brother would all get together once a week and play single player games like RE4 and Mega Man. Play a little bit, pass the controller and shoot the shit. These days, my brother is in college full time, my one friend has a wife and three kids, I have a wife and two kids, the third has a brand new wife and his first child, and the other's whereabouts are unknown. None of us live within 45 minutes of each other now, so the thought of a game like Mega Man 10 (I know, it won't be on the ps4, it's just an example) being played through the PSN, each taking turns with a fundamentally single player game brings back great memories.

Of course, none of this matters if they can't get it right. Full voice chat, zero lag and seamless control are an absolute must.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am reminded of a term way back in the mid 90s that seemed to mean something at the time;

Quality Assurance.

There were people who sole job was to play the game and report any potential bugs, game breaking or otherwise. I am continually baffled how games like Colonial Marines, Fallout 3 or TES Series can make it out to the public with such glaring and obvious problems. So I can only conclude that either they or not doing their job, or the developers don 't care about the bugs. Which is counter intuitive since they know the game will be panned because of them.

Perhaps they should remove Quality Assurance from the credits if they aren't going to use it properly.

TheUnbeholden

Dec 13, 2007
eh its cause of bribery in the journalism industry and the tremendous focus on PR publishers are doing, and game developers not willing to take risks (either because of publisher pressure or their own lack of vision)

Bribery:

In the mainstream press you'd be out of a job (nowadays at least)

In Finance you'd be up for insider trading (if the FSA can catch you).

In Lawyer firms, it's fee-splitting and you'd be suspended.

In the Army, that's treason/spying.

In Sports it's taking a dive or match/race bans.

In the Police, you're going to Prison.

In gaming journalism, accepting kickbacks gets you inside information, exclusive interviews, press conference invites, tips for rumor mills, free review copies of the game before release, potential for fame (GMA), web-based advertisement and free swag?

why is that? because mediocre games selling well doesn't "hurt" consumers, it just makes us numb ... until we can't swallow it anymore and turn to indie games.

Dire Sloth

Filthy Casual
Jun 23, 2012
That final thought made my stomach turn.
Why does it feel like there's never any good news for games? The Great Video Game Depression, am I right?