Colorado signs law allowing abortion at ANY POINT in PREGNANCY

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Because people consider intelligence to be part of what determines a persons worth, and they shouldn't, and you shouldn't want any part of a conception of humanity that plays those games.
Right. So would you therefore conclude that if I say it's rude to call someone stupid, I'm therefore the one who's "maintaining and cultivating" that culture? Because that's the flawed logic you're applying.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You do not understand this topic, and your pretensions to the contrary are downright insulting.
I don't think you understood a word I said. For example, I spoke of intersex people identified as a specific sex as misidentified, and then explicitly said that isn't what "trans" is, so you wrote a lecture about how that idea of trans (that I specifically said wasn't trans) is wrong. And then immediately after accusing me of constructing a strawman that I very specifically didn't, you unleashed a significantly bigger strawman about what bigotry you assume I actually think in spite of my words being right in front of you saying the opposite.

I'm not going to go through the post with a fine-toothed comb, it's all just throwing trash around, but it'd be wrong of me to not at least give you an example of how you're building your own assumptions about me into the analysis rather than actually reading my words:
You tipped your hand on that point when you out and said "if trans people were just those whose overall physical biology was misidentified at birth due to mismatched or ambiguous genitalia, it wouldn't even be an argument", both in how it misrepresents intersex as "misidentified as birth" and how it belies your contempt towards the trans demographic as - in your mind - transitioning for the 'wrong' reasons.
No, I did not say intersex people are misidentified at birth. I mean, they can be, certainly, but I am referring specifically to the sort of case where they see an infant as specifically a boy or girl, expecting a normal body development, and then a decade later those developments don't happen like an average boy or girl so they take a closer look and see "oh, this person was actually intersex the whole time, but we didn't know because we didn't look any further than the external sex organs." There are, without a doubt, intersex people who are identified as such at birth.

Nor did I say anyone did anything for the 'wrong' reasons (nice scare quotes...). If you've read my posts in the past, which you obviously have but just made up bits to fill in the blanks you didn't understand, you'd have seen that I don't question the motives of those transitioning, but rather the role and response of society around them. When society is bullying children into gender stereotypes and then drugging them if they don't fit cleanly enough, that's not a problem of the motives of those transitioning.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Right. So would you therefore conclude that if I say it's rude to call someone stupid, I'm therefore the one who's "maintaining and cultivating" that culture? Because that's the flawed logic you're applying.
If you were advocating against the existence of special education because you consider it dehumanizing, then yes, you are maintaining and cultivating the idea that humanity is tied inherently to intelligence.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you were advocating against the existence of special education because you consider it dehumanizing, then yes, you are maintaining and cultivating the idea that humanity is tied inherently to intelligence.
Yes, I'm sure that if they said something batshit insane instead of what they actually said, it would be really bad. Good argument

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nice try, but that wasn't what I asked.

I believe that calling someone stupid is insulting. Does that mean that I'm denigrating low intelligence? Is it denigrating low intelligence to simply recognise that calling someone stupid is insulting in our society? Do I have to feign ignorance and pretend it's not?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Nice try, but that wasn't what I asked.

I believe that calling someone stupid is insulting. Does that mean that I'm denigrating low intelligence? Is it denigrating low intelligence to simply recognise that calling someone stupid is insulting in our society? Do I have to feign ignorance and pretend it's not?
Yeah, but what you asked isn't parallel. "Stupid" is an insult by nature. It's not an insult to acknowledge people having higher or lower intelligence, but you're choosing an insult to try and make the case. Gendered words certainly can be an insult if you're calling someone a *****, but that's not what we're talking about.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah, but what you asked isn't parallel. "Stupid" is an insult by nature. It's not an insult to acknowledge people having higher or lower intelligence, but you're choosing an insult to try and make the case. Gendered words certainly can be an insult if you're calling someone a *****, but that's not what we're talking about.
*checks notes on Jordan Peterson et al*

Strongly disagree with this last sentence. Peterson definitely would

You personally might not insult or find it insulting using genders. Others do. I personally get called a female all the time (like daily) and it doesn't phase me. I'm not going to pretend it should phase others.

Now, if you suggest we get rid of all pronouns and sexes and gender, I'm all for that. That's also a big hill to climb and until then we need a temporary solution

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Are you though, or are they trying to insult your "manhood"?
Why would you listen to people 'insulting your manhood'?

This is just me, but I find man/woman, male/female stuff incredibly stupid. Someone who insults my 'manhood' is just insulting something they made up

That doesn't mean I can understand people who do (or at least try.)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Like blood from a stone.

Calling someone "low intelligence" is considered insulting in our society. Yes or no?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
OK, this is too painful, I'm out.
Seriously, though. Special education exists because some people learn slower or differently than others. You can't have that without acknowledging those differences. If calling someone less intelligent is always an insult regardless of intent or context, than special ed is hateful and insulting by nature. You don't believe that, so why are you arguing that it's always an insult?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously, though. Special education exists because some people learn slower or differently than others. You can't have that without acknowledging those differences. If calling someone less intelligent is always an insult regardless of intent or context, than special ed is hateful and insulting by nature. You don't believe that, so why are you arguing that it's always an insult?
Look, use whatever definition you want. I just hope you don't interact with any infertile people and insist on refusing to call them "he" or "she" to make a point. Because you can rationalise for days about how you don't mean it to be insulting blah-blah-blah, but that kind of shitty attitude is going to upset someone.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Depends on the sport. Maybe. Unless the main problem is cultural
Maybe there's a handful of sports that biological advantages don't matter but they are few and far between. Chess is considered a sport by the Olympics for some reason and there's no biological advantage in that, but chess isn't really a sport. If the problem is cultural (maybe most girls see sports as a boy's thing) then only separating by weight class would make the cultural problem even greater by having less women being able to play.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Maybe there's a handful of sports that biological advantages don't matter but they are few and far between. Chess is considered a sport by the Olympics for some reason and there's no biological advantage in that, but chess isn't really a sport. If the problem is cultural (maybe most girls see sports as a boy's thing) then only separating by weight class would make the cultural problem even greater by having less women being able to play.
If the problem is cultural it can not and will not be solved by needless segregation.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Chess is considered a sport by the Olympics for some reason and there's no biological advantage in that, but chess isn't really a sport.
But it is a sport: and it's a sport for no less a reason than so many people and official bodies recognise it as one.

In a similar vein, as we're on a gaming website, I would suggest you consider very carefully the fact that gaming has "eSports".

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
But it is a sport: and it's a sport for no less a reason than so many people and official bodies recognize it as one.

In a similar vein, as we're on a gaming website, I would suggest you consider very carefully the fact that gaming has "eSports".
eSports aren't real sports. It's not even that hotly contested.
If the problem is cultural it can not and will not be solved by needless segregation.
You should ask around what "needless segregation" is in this issue. Could for example shooting and archery have a unisex category? Sure! Adding unisex categories like mixed doubles and relays is a perfect way to bridge the cultural gaps. The IOC does this all the time, and that's the highest tier international organization so you can't expect quick changes (for example they have to be decided many years in advance because of how the Olympic games work).