Columnist Deems Enslaved Racially Insensitive

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Rooster Cogburn said:
Why are we so absolutist about racial issues? Why does everything have to be only 'on' or only 'off'? Why can't we comment on the implications of race-relations and media without calling someone or something racist? Why do we try to cram people and media into categories of 'racist' and 'not racist'? It does not encourage interesting or useful analysis.
Pigeon-holing is easier than rational, reasonable arguments- that's why.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Sounds like someone's trying to be controversial to increase page views.

Also, I hate Monkey's character model. Does that make me a racist?

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Wow.

This is fucking pathetic, it really is.

At least with Resi 5 you could kind of see peoples' point, but this is just utter moronic bullshit and if I were an African American I would be face-palming so hard over this idiot.

May 5, 2010
Yeah, someone needs to tell this guy that the concept of slavery is not exclusively related to black people. It's pretty obvious he's only seeing what he wants to see.

"Olive or tan...." Good Christ.

Oct 14, 2010
Everyone wants to end racism, right? But it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if it's not just bigots who want to see it continue. Gotta make a living somehow.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
So...Enslaved is racist because Monkey isn't black, but since the girl put a mind frying headband on him to stop him from killing her, that makes him black enough to be culturally offensive?

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Tim Latshaw said:
Everyone wants to end racism, right? But it's stuff like this that makes me wonder if it's not just bigots who want to see it continue. Gotta make a living somehow.
Didn't racism end when Obama got elected?
i thought it was about other things like gay marriage or Muslims now

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I hope they don't uncover early artwork depicting a dark or black skinned character concept for Monkey. Although I doubt such a thing would even exist and if it did, the team would have burned all evidence of it in order to avoid a huge shitstorm of controversy.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Foolishman1776 said:
Oh, it's racially insensitive? Oh my, I'm sorry person who wrote the article, were your feelings hurt?
Of course, after all the hard work he's done, working in the cotton fields as a child and being beaten regularly, risking his life escaping to a friendly nation as a teenager, not only learning to read but getting into journalism so late in one's youth? Really, I think anyone who has lived under the yoke of slavery has a right to be annoyed!

Wait, what's that? This guy probably has a better education than I do?* Slavery's been illegal in the US for well over a century? Well WHY ARE WE STILL HARPING ON IT?

I'm just annoyed people seem to assume slave = black, when history (and current events) has instances of slave = anything and master = anything.

(*I'm guessing. His profile on the website is "" so for all I know he could be a pseudonym or an AI or three white guys from the third floor.)

Skullpanda

Jun 12, 2009
Ah, the racist argument. The guaranteed fallback for people who don't know what the hell they're talking about, but want to complain anyhow.

If crap like this keeps up, game designers will stop making anything even remotely intellectual in regards to race. Everyone will be a "safe" character, and then nobody can complain. Until they find something else to ***** about.

...are people terminally stupid nowadays or what?

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Senaro said:
So...Enslaved is racist because Monkey isn't black, but since the girl put a mind frying headband on him to stop him from killing her, that makes him black enough to be culturally offensive?
That just about sums it up I'm afraid. I deem this column culturally insensitive to the Chinese.

chinomareno

Sep 4, 2010
Sigh, I think most of the people who cry about racism have never actually experienced it. How can you openly advocate self censorship with a weak ass argument like this and decry literary irresponsibility.

If the character was black it would make no difference either, it would be cowardly to pull a game to save a couple illiberal blowhard's precious feelings.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Sounds to me like this guy is the racist... How did he come to the conclusion that a slave called "Monkey" must be a racial thing? He drew that line, he is the one saying that simply naming a character "Monkey" you are making that character black without him being black.

Y'know what, sir? The word "Monkey" just conjurs the image of a... Oh, whats that weird thing that sometimes gets called a "Monkey"? Oh yeah, a monkey! This guy is the ignorant racist, screw him for trying to take a game that didnt do anything wrong and turning it into a race thing. There are actual race-related debates that need to be had and this guy is wasting time with this because he is too ignorant to do research on the game.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Senaro said:
so Pigsy isn't offensive? as a fat person i find that he wasn't called offensive offensive, however as a person who read the book this game is based on i am not offended.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Dont feed the Trolls!

This guy is just trying to stir up some ire to get noticed, best thing to do is ignore it and dont let the so-called 'controversy' build.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
JaredXE said:
EDIT: It's also amusing how much effort went into trying to describe the skin tone of Monkey. Who is played by Andy Serkis. Who is perhaps the pastiest person I have ever seen.
Ahahaha. I don't know why I laughed at this.

And what everyone else has said: he's reaching for an argument that doesn't exist. Italians enslaved Italians, Greeks enslaved Persians, Germans enslaved Romans. Everyone enslaved everyone.

ENSLAVED PARTY IN CELL BLOCK 4, YEEEAAAAAH.

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Wait, so, I could see an argument for the game having a flippant attitude towards slavery, or whatever - maybe something about the relationship between the two main characters encouraging a Stockholm syndrome-esque attitude as being healthy, or some weird stretch like that - but where does the issue of race even enter into it? Is he automatically linking slavery and black people?

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Jeronus said:
I hope they don't uncover early artwork depicting a dark or black skinned character concept for Monkey. Although I doubt such a thing would even exist and if it did, the team would have burned all evidence of it in order to avoid a huge shitstorm of controversy.
if anything he would have been Asian since the book is from china........
mind goes off point...........
want to put in a joke but i think it would be in poor taste so i won't say it......

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
gregitaly said:
Aww man this is so true. As soon as I was done playing the game I went out and oppressed the hell out of some minorities. It's my burden as a white man to do that ya' know!
Psh, amateurs. I've totally got like 10 slaves already.