Columnist Deems Enslaved Racially Insensitive

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
Senaro said:
So...Enslaved is racist because Monkey isn't black, but since the girl put a mind frying headband on him to stop him from killing her, that makes him black enough to be culturally offensive?
so Pigsy isn't offensive? as a fat person i find that he wasn't called offensive offensive, however as a person who read the book this game is based on i am not offended.
I don't know who Pigsy is. I haven't had the chance to play through Enslaved myself yet, but it is most definitely on my "to-play" list.

Nov 5, 2007
Rooster Cogburn said:
Why are we so absolutist about racial issues? Why does everything have to be only 'on' or only 'off'? Why can't we comment on the implications of race-relations and media without calling someone or something racist? Why do we try to cram people and media into categories of 'racist' and 'not racist'? It does not encourage interesting or useful analysis.
Exactly. Now all we have is people on both side throwing bullshit and stupid arguments to defend their position. We could have a nice talk analyzing the representation of slavery in this game and compare it to the original tale. But no, we are all too busy saying "this is racist" or "there were white slaves too!" which doesn't make slavery any more right or give everyone bank cards when talking about it. Not saying that this game is not treating the subject properly, but let's drop the freaking racist/not racist dichotomy bullshit and start talking in a smart way about games. Maybe it's more complex and harder to do than just stand on your position and say the same thing over and over again but if can't follow the discussion go sit at the kids table.

And now I feel like I was ranting over much more than this story in particular.

Lorechaser

Aug 28, 2004
Skullpanda said:
Ah, the racist argument. The guaranteed fallback for people who don't know what the hell they're talking about, but want to complain anyhow.

If crap like this keeps up, game designers will stop making anything even remotely intellectual in regards to race. Everyone will be a "safe" character, and then nobody can complain. Until they find something else to ***** about

...are people terminally stupid nowadays or what?
Modern Warfare: Unitedly Colors of Bennetton?

I kinda thought Enslaved was saying "Hey, we're far enough past racism that we can tell stories like this. Hooray! "

Sigh.

Gvaz

Sep 8, 2008
Looks more like Banjo Kazooie than anything else. I agree with the OP

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Senaro said:
Gamegodtre said:
Senaro said:
So...Enslaved is racist because Monkey isn't black, but since the girl put a mind frying headband on him to stop him from killing her, that makes him black enough to be culturally offensive?
so Pigsy isn't offensive? as a fat person i find that he wasn't called offensive offensive, however as a person who read the book this game is based on i am not offended.
I don't know who Pigsy is. I haven't had the chance to play through Enslaved myself yet, but it is most definitely on my "to-play" list.
if i knew how to put pictures in i would but heres a link
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ensalved-pigsy-092210.jpg

Arlocke

Oct 3, 2010
Columnist is a retard.

It makes me angry when people stir up racial scandals based on nothing at all, because it makes people take real racial issues, which do still exist, less seriously. You actually hurt your own cause by being hypersensitive.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Quellist said:
Dont feed the Trolls!

This guy is just trying to stir up some ire to get noticed, best thing to do is ignore it and dont let the so-called 'controversy' build.
Maybe the guy just wants to cast gamers in a negative light. If that were the case, it would actually make HIM a bigot.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The name Monkey comes from the original fucking story, doesn't it?

What a fucking moron.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Gamegodtre said:
Senaro said:
Gamegodtre said:
Senaro said:
if i knew how to put pictures in i would but heres a link
http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ensalved-pigsy-092210.jpg
I'd almost say his belt is offensive to people who love blowjobs.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
While I agree that this is a case of over-sensitivity, I do have to agree with the columnist that if the character were black and named "monkey" then you can bet your asses that the media would have picked up on it heavily and it would have been lobbied for a ban.

I mean Christ, look at the whole Medal of Honor thing. Every gamer knows that the teams make no difference at all in multiplayer: Red vs Blue, Andrew vs Ryan, Terrorists vs Counter-Terrorists.

Yet the media described being the Taliban in MOH as "Players get to play as the Taliban and earn points for killing American troops." They can twist the logic to however they please and this would have been the case were Monkey a black person.

Missing SHODAN

Jun 9, 2010
I think we're missing the bigger point, here.

Why were the 16th century Chinese so racist? They had to have known that in creating a character who is essentially a slave who is referred to as "Monkey," they would eventually draw unfortunate parallels to events that would occur on a different continent a century later, so that five centuries after the book was written, some pundit somewhere would cry racism about derivative works.

16th century Chinese people, you insensitive racists.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
At least with Resi 5 you could kind of see peoples' point, but this is just utter moronic bullshit and if I were an African American I would be face-palming so hard over this idiot.
No. I really couldn't see their point. The game was set in Africa. Also we spent how many games killing white infected?

OT: This is just a dude trying to increase page-views and get attention.

Ampersand

May 1, 2010
I'm confused, This Kyle Harvey character actually has a job?..........AS A WRITER!!?!!
How did someone this stupid pull that off. I mean calling resident evil racist was a big leap but it's easy to see how people came to the conclusion but Enslaved is so far removed from anything that could be called racist they might as well be in different solar systems.
This guy is either a total imbecile or a really massive tool.

I'm sorry for my tone but this kind of shit makes me angry........I really want to headbutt this clown.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
The female "enslaves" Monkey with a piece of technology to ensure that he won't harm her and to make him do her bidding.
A wedding ring?

Hi-Ooo!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Wow. I encounter some really stupid stuff doing this job, but this...this might be in the top five most stupid things ever.

He's called Monkey because he's based on a character that is...an actual monkey. You can even see from the way he platforms that he's meant to be reminiscent of the animal.

Bet you five bucks he didn't play so much as five minutes of the game, just read a summary on a website, or something.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
At least with Resi 5 you could kind of see peoples' point, but this is just utter moronic bullshit and if I were an African American I would be face-palming so hard over this idiot.
No. I really couldn't see their point. The game was set in Africa. Also we spent how many games killing white infected?

OT: This is just a dude trying to increase page-views and get attention.
Yeah, until halfway through when we got to the mud-hut villages and the unga-bunga-ing tribesmen throwing spears.
Quit trying to give the "controversy" surrounding this game ANY legitimacy at all.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
As someone who is currently studying African-American Culture as a module at university and looking closely at Slave Narratives I have to disagree whole-heartedly (and feel that I'm in a good position to do so) with the no-balls columnist. As most people are saying, he's just trying to stir shit up and fil his column quota.

Although the subtitle "Journey to the West" can be read as African Slave-trade related to people who do not know where it's origins lie.

*sigh* I wonder how long it'll take people to leave these kinds of thing alone.