Columnist Enlists Anonymous to Take Down Rapists

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
God Damn It Internet. Stop. Just Stop.

You've honestly put in me in a spot were I feel bad for alleged rapists. What the hell.

I'm in college for criminal justice, I want to be a cop, so far all of my teachers have been retired lawyers, and cops. The first thing I've learned is how very very complicated charging somebody can be. It's never simple, just doing a quick Google search tells me little but from what I got there's not much evidence to go on. at this point I don't support charging them, if there was more by all means. Thing is we have NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED we know there was a picture, we know somehow hat picture was passed around and that she got bullied over it. Now I seen some accounts that claim she didn't even know it happened to her, some that claim sh knew but didn't know it "counted as rape" until after the bullying began. it is highly likely in most of the sources that they were ALL very drunk.which just makes it all so much worse, did she drunkenly agree? was she passed out? we don't know. there isn't enough facts to go on.

And there in lies my issue here, this is a complicated issue being put to a mob. Nobody has been convicted of anything, and while I may want to be a cop in the future people have rights and right now it is their Right to be left unnamed. what anonymous threatens is not the right thing to do. I want to see this further investigated, I want to see them charged if evidence strong enough for a conviction is found. But prosecutors have and ETHICAL Obligation to not charge a case if the evidence is believed to be to weak for a conviction to be made. and if they never turn up any new evidence and never charge anybody it will be unfortunate, and a failure of the legal system, but to violate peoples right in the hopes of forcing a conviction is a miscarriage of justice regardless of if they actually committed any crimes.

In short, I want this looked into, I want Justice, But I want This Clean and BY the fucking book. not some fucking Vigilante Bullshit. because when that happenes innocent people get hurt, be it by mis-targeted rage, collateral damage, or else guilty as sin suspects walk due to misconduct that can be prevented.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
dystopiaINC said:
God Damn It Internet. Stop. Just Stop.

You've honestly put in me in a spot were I feel bad for alleged rapists. What the hell.

I'm in college for criminal justice, I want to be a cop, so far all of my teachers have been retired lawyers, and cops. The first thing I've learned is how very very complicated charging somebody can be. It's never simple, just doing a quick Google search tells me little but from what I got there's not much evidence to go on. at this point I don't support charging them, if there was more by all means. Thing is we have NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED we know there was a picture, we know somehow hat picture was passed around and that she got bullied over it. Now I seen some accounts that claim she didn't even know it happened to her, some that claim sh knew but didn't know it "counted as rape" until after the bullying began. it is highly likely in most of the sources that they were ALL very drunk.which just makes it all so much worse, did she drunkenly agree? was she passed out? we don't know. there isn't enough facts to go on.

And there in lies my issue here, this is a complicated issue being put to a mob. Nobody has been convicted of anything, and while I may want to be a cop in the future people have rights and right now it is their Right to be left unnamed. what anonymous threatens is not the right thing to do. I want to see this further investigated, I want to see them charged if evidence strong enough for a conviction is found. But prosecutors have and ETHICAL Obligation to not charge a case if the evidence is believed to be to weak for a conviction to be made. and if they never turn up any new evidence and never charge anybody it will be unfortunate, and a failure of the legal system, but to violate peoples right in the hopes of forcing a conviction is a miscarriage of justice regardless of if they actually committed any crimes.

In short, I want this looked into, I want Justice, But I want This Clean and BY the fucking book. not some fucking Vigilante Bullshit. because when that happenes innocent people get hurt, be it by mis-targeted rage, collateral damage, or else guilty as sin suspects walk due to misconduct that can be prevented.
I'm afraid that thinking is something most people rarely do. People let themselves be led by emotions and the thirst for petty revenge and lose sight of reality. Also, being a politician means that Warren Kinsella can count on a nice boost in popularity by playing on the emotions of the mob.

Such a coincidence...

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Anon is not a detective agency. They are, as they mention often, a hate machine. They've been given access to names and if they feel like it, they'll ruin those person's lives.
Allegedly. Anonymous hasn't been proven guilty of anything yet.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
I recall reading somewhere that "Annonymous is not your personal army." I can easily see why just by what I've read about them. It doesn't matter whether you think your cause is sympathetic to them. You never go to Annonymous - Annonymous comes to you.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Damned if this doesn't sound like what TV Tropes refers to as the "Godzilla Threshold", the point where calling in a dangerous, unpredictable, and uncontrollable entity with a history of doing what it damn well pleases without concern for anything else is actually the best option.

Less off-topic, I understand the guy's choice, without support or accusation. From his perspective, the only choices are vigilante justice or no justice at all, and neither option is particularly appealing.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Diablo1099 said:
This is actually kind of awesome IMO.
While I understand Due Process and what-not, This act of Anon will make some would-be-rapists think twice before ruining someone's life, knowing that a massive international collective will hunt their asses down.

That being said, I don't want them harmed, I want them tried and the fear of God put into them, show them that no deed goes unpunished.
So, that means that Anonymous is now officially a hive mind version of Light?

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Costia said:
Looks like Anon is going to attack the USA on may 7th. its called #opusa.
Just like they were gonna shut down the Internet last year?

viggih7

Mar 31, 2009
DrunkenMonkey said:
viggih7 said:
So Anonymous are on the case? Then I will sleep peaceably in my bed knowing rough men stand ready to do violence on my behalf.
That HG Wells quote is very hard to read, was it sarcasm? Sorry I can't grasp it. :(

OT: I'm completely for the mentality that better five guilty men go free, rather than one innocent man get put to the ax. People really shouldn't stick their in the CRJ system if they aren't supposed to be there.
My goal in life is to walk that thin line between sarcasm and seriousness. Today is a good day

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
My big issue is this. Anonymus answers to no body. No oversight, appeals or anything.

Let's play a simple game here folks. Lets say one of the accused is named (NOT THE NAME, just one I made up) John Alexander Smith, 17 years old. black hair. Now, in a small town down the road there is a John Anthony Smith. 17, black hair. Anonymus names John A. Smith, 17 black hair as the ringleader. So what happens when someone online makes the connection that John Anthony SMith is the accussed and starts sending him hate letters, death threats, hacks his shit, harasses his family.

Simple mistke to make. Especially in a place like NS where a lot of surnames are extremely common and shared. Especially once it gets out of Anonymus' hands and onto the internet. Sure the Anon guys who leaked the name got the right one. Who's to say Billy Bob Bucktooth isn;t going to do a facebook search and pick up the other John A. Smith?

So would we start howling for the anon guy who ruined John Anthony's life to be found and charged? What happens in JOhn Anthony commits suicide because of the situation? Woul that anon guy give himself up to answer for his crimes? Doubt it.

Now ask yourself how'd you'd feel in you were John Anthony Smith... Anonymus doesn't care. They have no oversight and don't take responsibility for their actions. Ignore due process of the law. I wish they'd focus more on changing the laws they find flawed or if they have to shame someone shame the damn beauracrats who cause the issues in the first place.

Now, I'm not siding with the accused. I gurantee I'm more draconian than 2/3 of the people on this site. If found guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt, castration for the rape and jail for life for the suicide. DOn't care they 16 or whatnot. Old enough to know what they did was wrong. If any police are found to be covering up, they should be jailed for life as well for perverting justice and abuse of power.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Church185 said:
Alleged_Alec said:
Which brings us back to my earlier point: if the police does not take the case, these potentially innocent kids will be punished for it, in this case by releasing their names to the public out for blood.
Good, maybe it will teach them to cooperate with an investigation. If none of it was their fault, it would have been super easy to prove. Let the police scan their phones and have a look at their cellular records, if they have nothing to hide then it will show and the case will be closed. Nothing can be done about proving the rape, but the other stuff is pretty open and shut.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call to everyone involved.
You can't be serious saying "if you have nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear".. I guess we should just let every aspect of our lives be monitored, only criminals need be concerned about privacy issues. It honestly terrifies me whenever I see people saying things like this.

I'm on the side of the victim here, I don't think you make up an alleged rape and then kill yourself, especially not when there is apparent evidence of it being distributed... But I don't like the idea of anonymous vigilante justice being dished out like this when there is noone to be held accountable. We should be calling for a reform to the law, not for a lynching.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
Draconalis said:
emeraldrafael said:
And now they're more or less issuing a small vague threat against the mounties, and I cant imagine that's a good idea since the mounties can literally charge anywhere they want in the world and bring you to canada for justice
I doubt this is true... you can't just go into another nation and arrest their citizens.
Interesting little factoid: The United States has a treaty with us that states that the RCMP are allowed to follow and arrest people who commit a crime in Canada if they then go to the states.

The RCMP don't usually do that, they do the polite thing and ask local police to find and extradite the criminal, but if they wanted to, they totally could.