Come Together. Right Now.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
It's fantastic to see opinions are afoot before the actual article is even read; apparently all we need to start a conversation is a more or less ambiguous message on what the article is supposed to be about.

Credge said:
Currently L4D is incredibly buggy. Very, very buggy. Versus, coop, survival, all buggy. There are game crushing and ending bugs that have persisted since launch that are most certainly not features. There are severe balance issues in all game modes. On top of this, there has been very little in terms of support or content for the game compared to TF2 after one years time.
Game crushing huh? I must admit I didn't get Left 4 Dead from it's launch; I bought it just when survival mode was introduced, so I can't really comment on bugs before that. However, I have played all three modes quite a bit since I bought it, and I have yet to notice any bugs that could be considered "game-crushing", or even half noticeable for that matter. There are a few hacks that my friend has shown me, but nothing that would make me turn my nose up at Valve in disgust. I'm not entirely sure where the line that distinguishes "balanced" and "challengin" begins and ends, but I've found overall that either side has a fair chance if they work together and strategically.

Actually, now that I think about it, the only bug that even comes close to to being called game crushing that I've encountered recently is one in Team Fortress 2, where the payload reached a certain point and wouldn't move after that. It only happened once, so I'm really not all that bothered by it.

OPT (On Probably the Topic): I actually do think Valve should have introduced all the new concepts they had announced to Left 4 Dead, rather than make a whole new game. While Valve has said that they intend to continue supporting L4D, they can't really expect to cater for two whole communities for both games; why would they continue to support the earlier (and arguably to-be-obselete) Left 4 Dead, when they could focus all resources on the supposedly superior sequel?

The boycott was supposed to draw attention to the fact that these are exactly the routes Valve intended to take all along, and should never have begun work on a sequel when they promised to support the original game which, I do admit, was largely ignored. In this sense the boycott, while a little overly-zealous in their condemnation, was a good way for the community (or a certain majority of it) to express their feelings in the matter. Valve has said that they like to listen carefully to the community, so the boycott was certainly the best way to get this message across.

There will, of course, be two factions in the impending war; the Left 4 Dead "Purists" ('There's only one real Left 4 Dead game!') and the Left 4 Dead 2 "Defenders" ('Left 4 Dead 2 is by far the better of the two, and anyone who says otherwise is just a Valve hater!').

Expect flame wars.

Onair

Aug 13, 2009
awesomepanda said:
lets see if we can get sean's post on to the second page! that would be great!
even though i'm just a quiet observer mostly. i just gotta do my part. down you go!

Fenixius

Feb 5, 2007
As perhaps the first person to comment who's read the article... you'll never ever seen anything remotely like this from Activision. They just don't care enough, and they're sufficiently above it all.

That's right, they've above their customers. The consumer-base for them is so massive, that it just doesn't matter if what they do is "right" or "wrong". It's only seen as "gouging customers who expect better" by those customers - everyone else just says "Hey, this is kinda cool! New stuff! Only $10? Sweet!" Activision can and possibly will afford to lose the traditional, hardcore gaming market. And this is -only- an issue because they own a lot of companies and IP's we love.

That's my opinion, anyway, based on the market's shape right now, Kotick's personal behavior, and the mutilation of StarCraft 2 and Modern Warfare 2's PC multiplayer components.

--Fen

Edit: Oh, and regarding the example given - Left 4 Dead, I doubt I'll be purchasing L4D2. Not because of any sort of principle or as any kind of subvertive action, but just because I expect more of the same that was L4D1's gameplay. That, and it'll probably be censored to hell where I am, and I refuse to support a local industry which just lays down and accepts that kind of shit. Instead, I'll support some other nation's industry, if at all.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Hmm, I didn't really catch the point the author was trying to get across. Anyone care to give me a Reader's Digest version?

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
All I can say is, ever heard of the Sims? It's one of the most popular PC games and they do that sort of thing ALL THE TIME. Yet no one boycotts it. I think the rest of the world just needs to take a huge chill pill because economically speaking, if you like the game... what's wrong with more of the same?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
So the article is in the centre of the page, and time travelling Scot has given a vague title..and I'm now stuck in the FUTURE

HALP...SARAH CONNOR!

OT: Intresting...But I don't get what the article's about...you don't like Boycotts? What's that got to do with Coming together (Bowchicka wow Wow!)?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Hithlain said:
All I can say is, ever heard of the Sims? It's one of the most popular PC games and they do that sort of thing ALL THE TIME. Yet no one boycotts it. I think the rest of the world just needs to take a huge chill pill because economically speaking, if you like the game... what's wrong with more of the same?
The thing is, The Sims 2 wasn't announced less than a year after The Sims. Yes, there were expansion packs up the wazoo, but a full-blown sequel didn't occur until a few years later. The fact that there's a sequel to Left4Dead so soon after the original is one of the major factors that caused the boycott.

I don't really know a whole lot about this boycott, so I may be wrong here.

GrinningManiac said:
OT: Intresting...But I don't get what the article's about...you don't like Boycotts? What's that got to do with Coming together (Bowchicka wow Wow!)?
Yes, it's a bit misleading, isn't it? I thought he was referring to the new downloadable content for The Beatles Rock Band.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, at least some boycotts work, or whatever. Still don't like the idea of getting a game and having a better version come out a year later for $60 more.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
"Whether the boycott efforts actually affected release schedules for Left 4 Dead's DLC or Valve's internal pricing plans can be a point for later debate, but this ordeal has either laid a productive groundwork for future developer/fan interactions and dispute resolution or become the exception that proves the rule."

That does not mean what you think it means.

"The exception that proves the rule" applies to situations like this:
"Medium armor proficiency allows a rogue to wear medium or lighter armor without a dexterity penalty".

This exception proves that there is a rule that a rogue without medium armor proficiency that wears medium armor will suffer a dexterity penalty.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Andronicus said:
Game crushing huh? I must admit I didn't get Left 4 Dead from it's launch; I bought it just when survival mode was introduced, so I can't really comment on bugs before that. However, I have played all three modes quite a bit since I bought it, and I have yet to notice any bugs that could be considered "game-crushing", or even half noticeable for that matter.
I crashed for no reason 3 times today. Also there are performance issues, as the game slows down for NO reason (and not even because there is a fight going on - sometimes it freezes up for 5 seconds during a hunter pounce) and also the AI that sometimes just turns off for no reason.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
I'm not sure what just happend. Is it a good thing...or a bad thing or....
I don't know! Beatles Quick Save us!

Come together..Right Now...over me.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
The game hasnt even come out and the boycott is over, 99% of the so-called boycotters will buy the game. Like all e-thugs, they are all mouth.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I think there's an error with the entire system. They haven't posted anything all day aside from this and this thread is glitched.
Edit: also, the description and title for this article was copied over the title and description for the Pocket Gamer article.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I don't know if you agree, but I think we needed this boycott. IT doesn't really matter if it worked or not, the point is that now L4D has DLC.

If this boycott never happened, Valve could've easily made L4D2 and told the old fans to piss off.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "lol it's their game and they can do what they want." But they did promise DLC, and by releasing a new game, they had breached their promise.

So this boycott might've just gotten then riled up enough to indeed release the DLC. But hey, I bet there's someone out there just waiting to poke a hundred holes in my post's logic, so I'll end it there.

The point is we can't just stand by while Bobby Koticks and Jack Thompsons try ruining what games are all about. If you honestly think they should be allowed to do as they please, then enjoy your 34th installment of Halo that costs 200 dollars.