Comic Based Games?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
So...Now that Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men, and even Wolverine have gotten solid/good games, who's next?

I'd REALLY love to see another beat-em-up like The Avengers (SNES).

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
I said it before Ill say it again, a Doctor Doom game. Also I would pay good money for a Chew game

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a pretty awesome card-base boss fight game with original characters. It's obviously a physical card game but it's also on Steam and mobile.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Finally getting a sequel to XIII would be nice.

After all- nobody's a fan of unresolved cliffhangers.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Marik2 said:
I'd like wonder woman.
A Wonder Woman game with Sekiro's blocking mechanics allowing you to block and parry with her gauntlets. Having you doing block strings to parry incoming gunfire would be pretty rad.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Kind of a broad target there.

Like specifically the DC/MArvel brands, or any comic? What about games that mimic comic formats or have their own supporting comics released.

Like the whole fascination with "Hero" characters in various games and genres is basically comic book games.

Apr 17, 2009
If we're talking just any comics then I kind of want to see a decent Hellboy game. I kind of feel his brand of fighting monsters is tailor made for a game, and a game in the comics art style would be a standout

Apr 5, 2008
When did XMen (or even Wolverine) get a quote "good" game? Apart from Ravages of Apocalypse that was a total Quake conversion mod two decades ago, I don't remember one good game with my favourite mutants in it. Marvel Heroes was alright, but that's gone now.

I do know some stuff, and altho I haven't signed any NDA, it's privileged info so I won't speak about any details. However it's public knowledge that Square Enix signed a deal with Marvel to produce Avengers and related games. While it's a bit sad that there haven't been game tie-ins to (one of, if not the) the biggest film franchise in recent years, if not history, they are coming. They are supposed to be cannon with the MCU.

They are the reason there has been very little out of Squeenix in recent years and why Deus Ex got put on hiaitus. Maybe they'll announce something at E3, no idea but it would be interesting to hear something about what they're up to officially.

In other "superhero" game news, the four City of Heroes successor projects are still in development, as they have been for years and seemingly will be for more to come. There is City of Titans, the first one originally backed on Kickstarter. There's Heroes and Villains, being developed by part of the original CoT team that had different creative ideas for the game they wanted to make. There's Valiance Online, the first of the four to reach Alpha and there's Ship of Heroes, which is set on a spaceship. In Space.

My worry for these is that MMOs have lost a lot of popularity in recent years. The subscription model is unlikely to succeed also. Further, the market cannot support four of them. Unless they have tons of mainstream appeal (which I doubt; these are niche games) I suspect one or two will be populated and players who want to play them will flock to them. I think whichever is the first to market will have a distinct advantage, and if it's good, will probably win out unless the ones that come later prove significantly better. For those of us who'd like to scratch the CoX itch, but Champions Online/DCUO can't quite satisfy, we just want a place to enjoy silly costumed superheroics and shennanigans. A good char creation/tailor is absolutely crucial, cool, varied and customisable powers and builds, larger than life villains and an immersive city to fly/speed/leap/teleport thru, maybe some supervillains to beat up/thwart....it's not much to ask!

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
KingsGambit said:
When did XMen (or even Wolverine) get a quote "good" game?
X-Men arcade, X-Men: Children of the Atom, Spiderman & The X-Men and a whole host of capcom fighting games?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Maybe a boring choice, but Superman. Or really any hyperpowerful flying brick type character like Shazam, Mr. Majestic, Hyperion, The Sentry and so on Reason is that every game I know that has Supes in it has some kind of mcguffin or other reason for why Supes can't just win everything instantly. Usually by bringing him down to more reasonable levels of power (or alternatively, empowering everyone else). Or there's kryptonite everywhere or somesuch.

I'm actually not even all that interested in Superman or characters like him, but I'm interested to see if you can make a great game where you play as someone truly cosmically powerful with superspeed, vast strenght, invulnerability, the works. I can't think of a way to make that work, but I'm admittedly a stupid monkey.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Jonah Hex, done in the style of whatever Red Dead Redemption or Max Payne game you think is the best.

Wonder Woman, God of War style. None of that crafting stuff from the new one, just spectacle action set pieces and brutal boss battles against mythical enemies. Her strength is comparable if not superior to Kratos, as is her rage.

KingsGambit said:
When did XMen (or even Wolverine) get a quote "good" game?
X-Men Legends? Admittedly it has been a while since then. I'd love to see another isometric strategy game with a large cast of recruitable mutant characters to mix and match your team with, not just the X-Men. Maybe give you the option to make a whole team out of Brotherhood mutants- I always had a soft spot for them in X-Men Evolution, particularly Toad and Blob.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Maybe a boring choice, but Superman. Or really any hyperpowerful flying brick type character like Shazam, Mr. Majestic, Hyperion, The Sentry and so on Reason is that every game I know that has Supes in it has some kind of mcguffin or other reason for why Supes can't just win everything instantly. Usually by bringing him down to more reasonable levels of power (or alternatively, empowering everyone else). Or there's kryptonite everywhere or somesuch.

I'm actually not even all that interested in Superman or characters like him, but I'm interested to see if you can make a great game where you play as someone truly cosmically powerful with superspeed, vast strenght, invulnerability, the works. I can't think of a way to make that work, but I'm admittedly a stupid monkey.
you're not thinking ambitious enough, whimsical primate...aim higher. how about Dr Manhattan? ok, Superman has a lot of impressive power, sure, but he doesn't have all of time, space and matter at his fingertips at any given moment! give this to us, videogames. I don't care how, who or why you have to kill...maybe it can be like path of neo, but more ridiculous. giiiiive iiiiiiit toooo uuuuuus

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Chimpzy said:
you're not thinking ambitious enough, whimsical primate...aim higher. how about Dr Manhattan? ok, Superman has a lot of impressive power, sure, but he doesn't have all of time, space and matter at his fingertips at any given moment! give this to us, videogames. I don't care how, who or why you have to kill...maybe it can be like path of neo, but more ridiculous. giiiiive iiiiiiit toooo uuuuuus
You heard that, developers of the world? Let us be omnipotent. Hop to it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Chimpzy said:
Chimpzy said:
they should use whatever engine star citizen is using, as I hear that is capable of granting everybody's wildest dreams

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2009
Chimpzy said:
Chimpzy said:
they should use whatever engine star citizen is using, as I hear that is capable of granting everybody's wildest dreams
Sounds good on paper, but we'd want the game to actually release, innit?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Definitely Spawn. He has a kick-ass gallery of rogues that would totally work in a game. You'd also have a huge variety of settings to choose from as the comics(and it's many spin-offs) provide a pretty good mix of crime/realism(city), fantasy, horror and more supernatural stuff. The ingredients are all there. Ofcourse there have been some Spawn games on old systems but those were all crap.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
KingsGambit said:
When did XMen (or even Wolverine) get a quote "good" game? Apart from Ravages of Apocalypse that was a total Quake conversion mod two decades ago, I don't remember one good game with my favourite mutants in it. Marvel Heroes was alright, but that's gone now.
The Sega Genesis had those two good X-Men games. There was also those X-Men Legends games which would be spun-off into the Marvel-Wide Ultimate Alliance games which are awesome and highly underrated. (Though also constantly being removed from sale...)