Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances Enter Open Beta

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

The browser-based Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is now in open beta.

Revealed in December [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114762-Command-Conquer-Goes-MMO-With-Tiberium-Alliances] of last year, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is a browser-based, free-to-play strategy MMO based on the storied C&C RTS franchise. Developed by EA Phenomic, the game will eventually offer cloud saves and cross-platform play through desktop browsers and mobile devices, all tied together via frequent updates through in-game news and status feeds.

To keep the momentum from the closed beta rolling, EA has also decided against wiping the existing servers and has instead opened new ones, where new players can jump in and start from scratch. A brand-new German server is also now available.

"Free-to-play" is anathema to some gamers but Tiberium Alliances looks like it might be pretty decent, at least for fans of this sort of thing. The big question, as always, is whether "free-to-play" equates to "pay-to-win." The only way to know that is to take it for a spin, which fortunately you can do without any loss beyond a little bit of time. And if it doesn't float your boat, you can always hold out for BioWare's upcoming C&C Generals 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114681-BioWare-Tackles-Strategy-with-Command-Conquer-Generals-2], although you might be holding out for awhile.

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is open to all at alliances.commandandconquer.com [http://alliances.commandandconquer.com]. Let us know how it goes!

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
I might give it a try, good to know they basicly said we fucked up with 4 though, on second thought it might just be set between 3 and 4 looking at the trailer again.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Browser based MMO game? What next? Kane plush toys?
Why Tiberium? Why C&C? Yahtzee said in review of Syndicate one related thing.
"What is the point of slapping 90s tactical shooters name recognition on generic modern shooter, if most people who like generic modern shooters won't remember the name, and the people who do remember the name will want to set your office on fire?"
Same here. Invent new IP, new setting, or at least use new name.
C&C used to stand for something, it wasn't something genial or Earth shattering, but it was SOMETHING. And then EA came...
Killing C&C franchise is my biggest issue against EA
Warning signs were there during C&C3, cancelling Tiberium was coffin, but C&C4 was the lid
So for this one ruined potential- FCK EA!
I'm going back to gaze on Tiberian Sun

P.S. EA could reconcile their actions only if they would return to Tiberium (cancelled FPS game) and did it similar to Battlezone (my big FCK U to Activision)

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Screw this crap... wait here, I'm gonna go see if I can run Tiberian Sun on Windows 7.

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
blackrave said:
Browser based MMO game? What next? Kane plush toys?
Why Tiberium? Why C&C? Yahtzee said in review of Syndicate one related thing.
"What is the point of slapping 90s tactical shooters name recognition on generic modern shooter, if most people who like generic modern shooters won't remember the name, and the people who do remember the name will want to set your office on fire?"
Same here. Invent new IP, new setting, or at least use new name.
C&C used to stand for something, it wasn't something genial or Earth shattering, but it was SOMETHING. And then EA came...
Killing C&C franchise is my biggest issue against EA
Warning signs were there during C&C3, cancelling Tiberium was coffin, but C&C4 was the lid
So for this one ruined potential- FCK EA!
I'm going back to gaze on Tiberian Sun

P.S. EA could reconcile their actions only if they would return to Tiberium (cancelled FPS game) and did it similar to Battlezone (my big FCK U to Activision)
that does seem to be misquoted somewhat, I mean yes EA do seem to have been trying hard to kill C&C for a while now, but you can't compare it to syndicate. C&C is still atleast a battle stratergy and as it goes when comparing it to other MMORTS it looks pretty good. This atleast appears to be different from tha stagnation which EA only seem to have been able to make C&C do since they bought the IP.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Jamane said:
that does seem to be misquoted somewhat, I mean yes EA do seem to have been trying hard to kill C&C for a while now, but you can't compare it to syndicate. C&C is still atleast a battle stratergy and as it goes when comparing it to other MMORTS it looks pretty good. This atleast appears to be different from tha stagnation which EA only seem to have been able to make C&C do since they bought the IP.
Well I used quote itself, but yes Syndicate is different case
But after playing C&C4 I WANTED TO BURN THEIR MAIN OFFICE DOWN!!!

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Andy Chalk said:

The browser-based Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is now in open beta.

Revealed in December [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114762-Command-Conquer-Goes-MMO-With-Tiberium-Alliances] of last year, Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is a browser-based, free-to-play strategy MMO based on the storied C&C RTS franchise. Developed by EA Phenomic, the game will eventually offer cloud saves and cross-platform play through desktop browsers and mobile devices, all tied together via frequent updates through in-game news and status feeds.

To keep the momentum from the closed beta rolling, EA has also decided against wiping the existing servers and has instead opened new ones, where new players can jump in and start from scratch. A brand-new German server is also now available.

"Free-to-play" is anathema to some gamers but Tiberium Alliances looks like it might be pretty decent, at least for fans of this sort of thing. The big question, as always, is whether "free-to-play" equates to "pay-to-win." The only way to know that is to take it for a spin, which fortunately you can do without any loss beyond a little bit of time. And if it doesn't float your boat, you can always hold out for BioWare's upcoming C&C Generals 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114681-BioWare-Tackles-Strategy-with-Command-Conquer-Generals-2], although you might be holding out for awhile.

Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is open to all at alliances.commandandconquer.com [http://alliances.commandandconquer.com]. Let us know how it goes!

Give me C&C4 damn it, that's all I want. The end of the series so I can finally know what happens to Kane

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So how has EA managed to biuld a RTS game even more basic than the very first C&C over 20 years ago?

Seriously, it takes talent to be this bad.

artanis_neravar said:
Give me C&C4 damn it, that's all I want. The end of the series so I can finally know what happens to Kane
C&C4 is out.

But for the love of Nod do not pay money for this game.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
gigastar said:
So how has EA managed to biuld a RTS game even more basic than the very first C&C over 20 years ago?

artanis_neravar said:
C&C4 is out.

That games doesn't exist, it may bear the C&C name but it is no C&C game, and therefore I refuse to cross the border and leave the great state of denial.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
artanis_neravar said:
gigastar said:

artanis_neravar said:
C&C4 is out.

That games doesn't exist, it may bear the C&C name but it is no C&C game, and therefore I refuse to cross the border and leave the great state of denial.
Cant have anger without reason. I still choose not to forget.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Glad to see the husk of C&C is still shambling aimlessly.
And how nobody in this topic is fooled.

But hey, that's what you get for killing Westwood; endless scorn.

Tay051173096

Jun 10, 2011
Its not bad actually.

The musics from C&C3 as are the basic building graphics.

The combat need planning rather than rushing. (making your defense is amusing)

You get the best out of the base building if you plan your base first. (read each building discription first)

Turn off the fog and cloud in options

And its free, if a generals based one came out I would be tempted (GLA).

hwak1976

Mar 15, 2012
My critique of Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances.

First, I think it was a horrible idea to go to open beta right now. This is hardly even a game at this point. I understand why they opened it up and making a better game is not the number one reason. For one, where is NOD? Where are fun missions? What is there to do besides "level" your base up and attack other bases/camps/outposts? That's it! That's called a grind and I don't do that. The gameplay isn't much more than log in for 5-10 minutes and do those things, then log out. Maybe that is what they are going for. This doesn't make for a fun game. Honestly, I am so close to never logging in again. The "game" is one step above what Zynga does. Make a game that has horrible/mediocre gameplay that you can play in 5-10 minutes and milk every last dollar out of the players. Let's be honest and call this game what it is, "pay to win". The game is in this state and they open it up??

How about adding in Nod? How about Forgotten and Nod attack player bases? How about there are civilian towns/cities to protect? How about adding simple movie clips to bring us in to a story that is taking place?.... or at least art and text. How about missions where 2 players can take part at the same time? How about rethinking completely how to take money from players and not make them gods in game? How about giving us a game and not a "level up and kill the same "mob" except a little harder, 20 vs 20 bowling war simulator" that it is now. This would be ok in a little free iPhone app by a lone developer, but not EA and not on a PC. After having done all of these things, then EA should have opened this up to the world in an open beta. Then in should have been improved upon even more, then released. This game feels very far from finished and honestly is pretty boring.... an OK, mindless time waster for 5-10 minutes. It would have been OK in a closed beta and EA realized it had a long way to go. The developers decided that it is very close to release though or else it wouldn't have moved to open beta. So, release is 1-2 months? Good luck. I'll stick around for just a little bit longer. If I don't see this turn into an actual game, I'm gone. I hope I'm not alone in this.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
Screw this crap... wait here, I'm gonna go see if I can run Tiberian Sun on Windows 7.
greatest RTS ever.

bitches don't know 'bout my carry-all disruptor rush.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
Absolutionis said:
I've seen this unit before...

EA is so big that not even IP laws can stop them now.
Shit, i hadn't scrolled down to the second picture and i knew that was a rip off of the baneblade even the side sponsons are in the same place.

C&C died with Westwood Studios.