Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Commentary on ?The Kingsroad?

Direwolves, direwolves, direwolves!

Read Full Article

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

But apart from that, succinct and accurate. Keep it up.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Diabolical Biz said:
Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

Heh, you are totally right. I will fix it. (I think I was thinking about his brother Ser Gregor when I was writing that.)

Greg

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Yes, excellent comentary and I agree with it all. Especially your mother-in-law's comment about Daenerys and Khal Drogo; the idea of their love blossoming now, after completely skirting over his surprising tenderness, will most likely come across as contrived.

Also great news that the show has already been renewed for a second season.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Greg Tito said:
The Diabolical Biz said:

Heh, you are totally right. I will fix it. (I think I was thinking about his brother Ser Gregor when I was writing that.)

Greg
Yeah good stuff. I just thought I'd mention because as of his whole relationship with his brother, it's kinda important. But yeah looking forward to next week!

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
As an appeal to anyone else who read the books, I don't recall that Cersei lost a son by Robert - maybe I just missed that part...?

Other than that, good review - and I agree, having Danaerys suddenly start enjoying things is a little jarring.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
House_Vet said:
As an appeal to anyone else who read the books, I don't recall that Cersei lost a son by Robert - maybe I just missed that part...?
So far as I can recall, in the books there is no mention of her losing a son, though what she says is actually a clue for later on. She does, however, admit to getting pregnant by Robert and having a (medieval) abortion

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Anyone else had the urge to rip out the queen's and the prince's throat the very moment they demanded the dire wolves death? How can you kill such a loyal and caring beast? Grrrr...... I really hope that little spoiled brat of a prince dies a painful death.

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Just like any critically-acclaimed shows, I'll get on the bandwagon years after. Now I'm finally into Mad Men.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
The only movie with Peter Dinklage I saw was Death at a Funeral, the British version that is not the awful remake, and whilst I enjoyed his performance I didn't think much of it. To see that such talent was hidden in him all this time is just plain amazing. He's incredible as Tyrion Lannister who, incidentally, is my favorite character at the moment.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Tyrion is hands down my favorite character as well. I'm liking what they're doing so far, but I wonder about the pacing of the show. Will the first book take up the entire first season, or are they going to squeeze a couple of seasons out of it? Also I am also curious to see how Hodor is handled, if at all.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
This is one part of the adaptation that still doesn't really feel accurate to me. It is important that Daenerys become emboldened by her relationship with Drogo - she grows into a more independent woman based in part on being a good wife ... in bed - but I just don't think the motivations match up with how I interpreted the book. Daenerys asks her handmaiden to teach her so that she can pleasure her husband better, not so that he stops raping her. I hope the writers are playing up Daenerys' vulnerability so that her coming-of-age story is more adequately realized, otherwise she may just come off as weak.
I have yet to read the books, but I read your first summary where she is being raped by her husband.

I believe that this part really needs to be given time because of what Daenerys has to learn by herself. She is somewhat exiled from her home, she has no friends at all, and she's married to a barbarian whose ways involve a crap load of testosterone poisoning. I think it's right to have her seem a LOT weaker because she just doesn't know the ways and customs.

I have to put this similar to my experience of being in Japan. It's great and all but you need time to adjust to a different culture, something that she kind of had forced upon her with no support.

ElectroJosh

Aug 27, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
The only movie with Peter Dinklage I saw was Death at a Funeral, the British version that is not the awful remake, and whilst I enjoyed his performance I didn't think much of it. To see that such talent was hidden in him all this time is just plain amazing. He's incredible as Tyrion Lannister who, incidentally, is my favorite character at the moment.
If you are interested in seeing more of his work I recommend "The Station Agent". Its a great film and his performance as the lead is fantastic.

As a fan of the books I am loving the show so far. Lets hope it is sucessful enough to convince GRRM to finish the series in a timely manner.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Episode 1 wasn't all that great, but 2 made me a believer.

I absolutely loved the books, and honestly I was worried when I heard HBO was going to make a GOT show. After this episode I actually feel like they can pull it off. The feelings I had during the killing of Lady were the exact same as in the book.

And the actors... marvelous. That is the same face and smile as the Jamie Lannister from my imagination. Arya and Sansa, Bran, all the characters feel so true.

I do have to say that the Hound isn't quite as impressive as I imagined, and Drogo's haircut is silly though.

Jamie and Tyrion Lannister are my favorite characters, and I can't wait to see Jamie become the great man I know he is.

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
rickthetrick said:
Also I am also curious to see how Hodor is handled, if at all.
Well he's in it, I can tell you that much - He was 'interviewed' on the Yogscast.
ahh very cool. I wasn't sure if they were going to put him in it or not. You know how touchy some people are with the mentally handicapped, and there portrayal in film. So far they have been pretty faithful in this series, of course this is just two shows in. I will be pretty shocked if they have the scene with Arya opening a guys throat up.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
rickthetrick said:
Loop Stricken said:
rickthetrick said:
Also I am also curious to see how Hodor is handled, if at all.
Well he's in it, I can tell you that much - He was 'interviewed' on the Yogscast.
ahh very cool. I wasn't sure if they were going to put him in it or not. You know how touchy some people are with the mentally handicapped, and there portrayal in film. So far they have been pretty faithful in this series, of course this is just two shows in. I will be pretty shocked if they have the scene with Arya opening a guys throat up.
Hodor can be seen in the first episode, in the scene when the King arrives in Winterfell. He's the big lug... I think with a bit of grey in his hair, standing at the end of the line near Bran. He doesn't really look like the Hodor you'd imagine, but they definitely got a big guy.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
Every time I read you commentary, I get more hyped for the next episode... damn you :)

Cormitt

Apr 16, 2009
Gotta say they are doing much better than I thought they would and I had very high expectations and they are blowing them out of the water. Peter Dinklage is amazing, he should be prepping his Emmy speech now.

I only have one complaint. It seems that the linkage between the Stark kids and the Direwolves is played down. I mean where was Ghost on the trip up to the wall and where was Bran's "conversation" with the crow? But I can live without this as they are doing an otherwise brilliant job of converting this to TV.