Commentary on ?The Kingsroad?

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
I agree with everything that this has to say 100%. I've never read the books, but I've been an avid watcher of HBO for years. So now it's decided, this show is my new jam, always to be recorded on my PVR, never to be missed.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
The Diabolical Biz said:
Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

But apart from that, succinct and accurate. Keep it up.
I dont remember how Sandor was called in the books, but Gregor was called Ser for sure. And they are both Knights, members of House Clegane.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Damn o damn. I love this show, but only because I love the books. I think Daneyers is the weakest link in the show. Even though, in the books, it was a pleasure following here story, they seem to be moving way too fast with her. The acting is awful and Drogo hasn't sold me on his barbarism (mainly because his chaps are fully shaved). Tyrion is by far my favorite character and Jeoffry I loathe. Seeing Tyrion smack Jeoffry around was like a cool glass of lemonade pressed against the sweaty neck under the searing summer sun.

The Imp said:
Anyone else had the urge to rip out the queen's and the prince's throat the very moment they demanded the dire wolves death? How can you kill such a loyal and caring beast? Grrrr...... I really hope that little spoiled brat of a prince dies a painful death.
You haven't read the books, have you?

He does

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
ElectroJosh said:
AndyFromMonday said:
The only movie with Peter Dinklage I saw was Death at a Funeral, the British version that is not the awful remake, and whilst I enjoyed his performance I didn't think much of it. To see that such talent was hidden in him all this time is just plain amazing. He's incredible as Tyrion Lannister who, incidentally, is my favorite character at the moment.
If you are interested in seeing more of his work I recommend "The Station Agent". Its a great film and his performance as the lead is fantastic.

As a fan of the books I am loving the show so far. Lets hope it is sucessful enough to convince GRRM to finish the series in a timely manner.
I second the above quotes. Station Agent is one of my favorite movies, and Dinklage is a fantastic, and entirely underrated actor. I'm hoping GoT gives him more exposure.

On a slightly related note, I'm looking forward to finding an excuse for using this image:

non_entity

Jan 26, 2008
JOFFREEEEEEEEEEYYY!!

Gosh, he's still the character I hate the most in all the books, he's just such an epic level douche it's hard to fathom. Good to see the actor can make me hate the character in the TV version as well. ^^
Same goes for Sansa, or nearly. She's just such an unlikeable character, spoiled, arrogant, too freaking dreamy, totally living in her ivory tower. Only very late in the books she becomes bearable, after reality hammers her again and again and again. Her younger sister is already more grown up then she'll probably ever be. Damn brat. Glad the actress is able to make me hate/dislike the character as well.

Likeable characters are easy, don't be a douche, be nice, but playing believable villains or otherwise unlikeable characters... that's hard... I imagine. ^^

Also yeah, I'm fine with most of the things they had to change for the adaption, I'm not loving some of them but most of them are fine - but I'm really disappointed and pretty pissed how they changed the Drogo-Daenerys dynamic. In the books Drogo isn't a super sensitive guy either but he's not the pretty-much-rapist he's in the show. He has a sensitive ... undercurrent under all his gruffness. He's absolutely certain of himself and he will get what he wants, but he knows he does not always have to be brutal about taking it. He knows Dany may not love the situation she's in and he knows he'll get her because he wants her but he also knows he doesn't have to force her, he's trying to get her to cooperate more or less of her own free will.

Not the ideal start, yes, but far more plausible for the, apparently - going by her later actions - real love between them to arise than the not-quite-rape we saw in the show.

All kinds of details about Drogo just got dropped for the show. I can totally see people hating Drogo in the tv version because he really is a douche there. But in the books he is a fantastic character, many layers, not your typical brutal warlord, or hard-but-nice hubbie or any other stereotype.

I really don't get why they changed him that way when just doing it the "right" way would not have been any harder at all. They seem to slowly go back to the Dany-Drogo relationship from the books now anyway, why change the basis, the start of their relationship so horribly?

Also other things about the Dothraki, the khas, the bloodriders, also - dropped. Just a few lines about the relationship between the khal and his bloodriders and how some khals share their wife with their bloodriders but Drogo is not as old-fashioned, could have gone a long way towards making the character more likeable.

docsax

Apr 27, 2009
Dana22 said:
I dont remember how Sandor was called in the books, but Gregor was called Ser for sure. And they are both Knights, members of House Clegane.
Gregor's a knight, Sandor is most vociferously not. He comes close to physically assaulting anyone who tries to call him "Ser". In order to be a knight, and therefore Ser, one must be anointed in the 7 oils and officially granted the title. He's of House Clegane by birth, and technically a retainer of House Lannister, but he's not a knight.

His brother Gregor is a knight, despite his incredible brutality, and Sandor is disgusted by the hypocracy of the whole knighthood title, since it was Gregor who burned his face, rapes at will and crushes children to death.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
docsax said:
Dana22 said:
Gregor's a knight, Sandor is most vociferously not. He comes close to physically assaulting anyone who tries to call him "Ser". In order to be a knight, and therefore Ser, one must be anointed in the 7 oils and officially granted the title. He's of House Clegane by birth, and technically a retainer of House Lannister, but he's not a knight.

His brother Gregor is a knight, despite his incredible brutality, and Sandor is disgusted by the hypocracy of the whole knighthood title, since it was Gregor who burned his face, rapes at will and crushes children to death.
So he had to be appointed a Knight later in the series, because only Knights can join Kings Guard, and he was one, albeit not for long. Ive read these books years ago :D

moosek

Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, I had to watch each episode twice. I'm not gonna read a book. You read a book.

docsax

Apr 27, 2009
@Dana22

Not that I ever recall in the series so far.

Sandor was Joffrey's bodyguard, but he was never anointed, and never a White Cloak. I remember there being talk about his being offered knighthood, and refusing it, multiple times. Up to the point we lose him in the novels, bleeding to death against a tree, he was always only a retainer.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
docsax said:
@Dana22

Not that I ever recall in the series so far.

Sandor was Joffrey's bodyguard, but he was never anointed, and never a White Cloak. I remember there being talk about his being offered knighthood, and refusing it, multiple times. Up to the point we lose him in the novels, bleeding to death against a tree, he was always only a retainer.
He was a member of the Kingsguard for a short while. I specifically remember after the Battle of the Blackwater that he left his white cloak behind in Sansa's room (although it was mostly red now from all the blood)

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
I hope the writers do not continue down the road of cartoon villainy. The whole scene where the Queen demands that the other wolf be killed is over the top. I felt like saying to the screen: "I get it - she's a villain. Congrats on reading your tropes and knowing that bad guys must kill the pets of the good guys. " Yeesh. So cliche. If the books are like this, then the tv writers need to clean it up.

In contrast - Peter Dinklage is pretty great. More writing like that and this show will be a success.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
Dana22 said:
The Diabolical Biz said:
Another great analysis, just one minor issue though, you called 'The Hound' 'Ser Sandor Clegane', although in the books he very clearly states that he's not a 'Ser' by any stretch of the imagination, and almost violently refutes it (due to spoiler filled issues I won't go into).

But apart from that, succinct and accurate. Keep it up.
Nahh Sandor makes it very clear that he's not a knight because of the whole incident with his brother. He hates his brother. He's the prince's hound, but definitely not a knight.

docsax

Apr 27, 2009
YES! Wasn't there some kind of hoopla over his being appointed without being a knight? I seem to remember a Sandor quote, something along the lines of "I'll wear your white cloak, but I'll be damned if you'll make me a Ser"... or something like that.

vonseux

Jan 7, 2011
SO.. can you tell me how exactly did the boy stayed in Coma for over a month without any kind of food or hydration?
it is also like this on the book? blackmagic?