Comments About Indie Games Taken Out of Context, Says Braid Creator [UPDATED]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
RenegadePacifist said:
Oh my, how I lol'd at this!

The old "Taken out of context" excuse is a good one though, Ive used it frequently in the past.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
In that same post The Escapist linked to, Blow links to Chris Hecker's blog; Hecker then links back to The Escapist, claiming "What the fuck, people?!", regarding a certain news post on the site, amongst other news posts on a similar subject matter...

http://chrishecker.com/Me_and_the_Wii

HentMas said:
and now he backs out!! yeah, of course he would, jerk, he says something, gets backlash and "I WAS MISSINTERPRETED!!! IT HAPPENS ALOT!! I´M AN ARTIST!!!"

ha...
Ugh, you know what maybe if you actually read the article, read the context in which he said those things, and didn't take things the way you want to take them so you can insult people, you might learn a bit about the media in general...

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
HentMas said:
and now he backs out!! yeah, of course he would, jerk, he says something, gets backlash and "I WAS MISSINTERPRETED!!! IT HAPPENS ALOT!! I´M AN ARTIST!!!"

ha...
How did he back out if he only refers to the interview?
The content of the interview hasn't changed, he didn't recall any of his statements, he only said there was more to it than what was quoted.

Pulling stuff out of conext is the biggest crime any "journalist" can commit.
It's not just making a mistake, it's directly changing the intention of a statement to accomplish personal goals.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
See, this is why if I would ever get interviewed, I'd make sure it was a video interview. Journalism just sucks overall, and I don't blame the Escapist for this. CVG gets the blame here for now.

Bwown

Jun 22, 2010
The Random One said:
Every time Blow opens his mouth he sounds a little more like an indie David Cage. Which is still a lot better than an AAA David Cage, which I guess would be regular David Cage, but come on.
What did David Cage do?

CaptainLudicrous

Mar 19, 2010
So, opinions are tricky, context is subjective, microsoft and sony have different business plans for indie games, journalism is tough work, and Jonathan Blow has lots of opinions. Anything I miss?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Vortigar said:
Did this need an addendum added?

I read the original citation and thought he was poiting out strong arguments for the validity of both XBL (mass titles to find the gems) and PSN (weed out the mess and support the extraordinary). There was no need for any change later on if you ask me. It would only divise those who are incapable of actually reading properly.

So if you ask me Blow himself is being stupid by saying his words were taken out of context.

AC10 said:
Or you could put it on PC, the open platform.
I think the consoles are more attractive because they give a better prospective on your return on investment. IE. you can actually make money.
Like the humble bundle 2 which sold 1.2 million in a few days, made of all indie games? Or minecraft, which makes $250,000 a day? The PC market is giant and lucrative, and people living under the fear that for some reason there are no consumers in the PC market are missing out on a huge amount of profit. Steam has 30 million users. Versus 20 million Xbox live users, the PC market in steam alone is actually LARGER than the xbox live marketplace.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
It's got to suck that regardless of how much you prepare for an interview to make sure all partners are equally respected, all it takes is a couple quotes strain that business relationship.

It's tough when your in bed with both Microsoft and Sony. Gotta be careful to satisfy each of them while not neglecting the other, and in the end, even if it all works out, some jerk quotes something you said completely out of context and the whole thing blows up in terrible ways and now your sleeping on the couch.