Common Sense Media Lists "10 Uncool Games" for the Holidays

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
SuperMse said:
the 2 is suspiciously missing
The missing "2" was my fault. All fixed and better now.

Some of the substitutions are questionable, yes (most obviously the Dragon Age/Braid thing) but I guess the focus was on matching consoles and an overall "cool" factor rather than specific content. Obviously some of the substitutes on the list aren't for kids either, but the list isn't for small kids either - It's for the 12-15-year-olds who might not be ready for Gay Tony but aren't going to be satisfied with kids' games either. Personally, I'd be happy as hell to find just about any of those games, from either side of the list, under my tree.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
* Assassin's Creed 2 (Mirror's Edge) a third person action sandbox game whit story and a "ancient" Italy setting to be replaced whit a first person platform game set in a futuristic city whit an evil government.

* Borderlands (Infamous) a fps rpg set in fallout 2 replaced whit a third person sandbox game, granted this seems to be one of the better replacements because both games have other people shooting at you while you shoot lightning, but they are still very different experiences.

* Brutal Legend (Ghostbusters: The Video Game) okay they are both third person games, you got that AND only that right, this is second wrongest recommendation on this list, beside brütal legend have parenting tools, just watch the intro whit them and press no on harsh language and blood and your kids can experience the awesome game.

* Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (Battlefield: Bad Company) well, alright this one you got kinda right and though your kid will be disappointed they will still have a competent shooter, and who knows maybe they will thank you at the end for not watching an entire game as if you had jam on your eyes.

* Dead Space: Extraction (Deadly Creatures) deadly creatures might be an good idea if you want your 15 year old kid to stop playing pokemon but still give them sorta the same game, but manly, but instead of dead space its a swing and a miss (which might be because they don't support motion plus fnar fnar)

* Dragon Age: Origins (Braid) a story heavy classic rpg whit deep gameplay and combat where you cant jump replaced whit a puzzle platform whit a story thats laughable at best but whit time manipulation, also 9 bucks for a Christmas present is to much on the cheap side, maybe buy them another rpg and braid, it is a great game, but i will say that dragon age is only violent in a cut scene at the beginning, and the sex is a joke and there is no nudity in them.

* GTA IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Batman: Arkham Asylum) this one is alright, they are different games but as batman : arkham asylum is my game of the year i cant imagine any one will be disappointed, maybe they will even be happier.

* Demon's Souls (Uncharted 2: Among Thieves) okay i actually haven't played this one but judging from the play through i just watched its another miss, one is a rpg whit swords and shield and the other is a third person shooter slash platform, it becomes more and more clear that the people who made this list knows that there is something called games but not quite sure about the different genres.

* Left 4 Dead 2 (Overlord II) and know im certain that they never heard about genres, this is the worst comprising, not only on this list but to ever be made, the only thing i can come to think off where they may be compared is that both games have zombies at some point (overlord has it at some point l4d2 is non stop zombies), but the difference in games are more than at some point they both have the same enemies, buy your kids the australian version of l4d2 if thats what they wished for.

* GTA: Chinatown Wars (C.O.P.: The Recruit) my DS games consist of zelda, mario and pokemon games, nothing that i am proud of but i haven't tried either game, but i did watch some play troughs and checked metacritic for both games and i can start by saying that COP got 57 and gta got 93, so your kid will be disappointed, the genre is correct, but one is praised for game play and story while the other got slaughtered on both, besides the graphic makes it alright for younger gamers to play Chinatown, the blood only makes it look like the yellow blocks turned red, sure theres the mention of drugs but if your kid can either see, listen or hear they already know about drugs, they may not have tried them but this game will teach them nothing new.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
And here I was loading my "Kill Common Sense Media Gun."
I think this is the first time I don't want to kill them. Maybe, just maybe people will stop overreacting and come up with alternatives.
:D

Captain Pancake said:
Wait, Braid in place of Dragon Age? That's like comparing a Dog to a Lobster!
But it's socially acceptable to eat Lobster. :D

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
Relatively good list. There are some odd replacement choices, but they've already been mentioned. The comments offer a good message for parents to actually talk to their children about what they play, and do more research than just reading and following a list word for word.

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
That was.... not a bad list actually.....

I'm suprised. Mind you, I'm still getting these game for Crimbo anyways.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
There was one that I was wondering about. Surely, Demons Souls would give children nightmares...but replacing that with Uncharted 2. It's not scary, but it definitely doesn't seem like it's suitable for a younger audience.

"This, kids, is what we call sexual tension."

Sandwich Man said:
Yeah, but the violence in Infamous is incredibly cartoony. Even though Borderlands has a cartoony look, the type of violence they use makes more sense than shooting electricity out of your hands.

As for the L4D2 - Overlord 2. yeah, I don't see the connection there.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Not that I think it's suitable for kids (for a few reasons), but Borderlands has gore? I must be more desensitized than I thought. I've spent ~45 hours playing it, and I don't think I ever even noticed. Of course, I was a siren, so everything died because it was on fire, not from physical damage or anything with non-"OMGWTF I'm on fire" animations...

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Not that I think it's suitable for kids (for a few reasons), but Borderlands has gore? I must be more desensitized than I thought. I've spent ~45 hours playing it, and I don't think I ever even noticed. Of course, I was a siren, so everything died because it was on fire, not from physical damage or anything with non-"OMGWTF I'm on fire" animations...
Grab a sniper rifle, or shotgun and shoot someone in the head.
SPLAT!

If any of you have ventured on the site it's rather entertaining to read the 10-15 year old kids complaining about the list.
I don't think they realize that their bitching makes them look bad, and affirm Common Sense Medias stance.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
excuse me but 5 of the alternatives are crap: mirror's edge, ghostbusters, bad company (don't care what you dedicated servers fetishist say), overlord 2, and COP. i really hate parental guide sites like these, hardly anyone even listens to them

it's my opinion that parents themselves should research the game and decide whether their kid can handle the amount of violence shown.

it pisses me off to trade brutal legend (which lets you censor gore and language anyways) for ghostbusters (a broken ass game)

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
With a name like "Common Sense Media", I'd expect exactly the opposite, so it's a pleasant surprise to see such reasonable (maybe even helpful!) suggestions. And my 12 year old brother has apparently been asking for an Xbox 360 and Halo 3, so I'd say they're thinking about the right age group, too.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
What the hell?

I don't know any kids with enough brain power to appreciate any of those games.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
I'm against the list and the idea of it to be honest. I think you should get the kids what their after unless you are %100 sure you child isn't going to be able to cope. I would just be disappointed to open my Christmas present if I was that kid to find some other game in place of the one I asked Santa for. The problem is that I don't see the big deal with censoring kids from it, I was brought up on violent action movies and horror movies along with violent video games and well I've never committed a major crime in my life. Maybe a few minor one's when I was a child in the old "Boys will be boys" fashion but I've never been tempted to gun down a school simply because it looked cool in a video game or a movie.

I was playing GTA 3 in Primary School and Vice city in year 7 and I've had no ill effects from it nor am I mentally scared because of it, neither are any of the people I've grown up with that lived in the same situation.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
swaki said:
I completely agree that many of the games are unrelated, but games like L4D havent really had any good substitutions that were released in the past couple years and are rated T or below. At least they got the whole "lots of weak guys gang up on their enemies" thing right.

And Braid with Dragon Age? ... I guess they both had a lot of hype, and you pause a lot in DA so it's sorta like time manipulation? :/ I honestly have no idea how they found a connection between those two. But anyway, who the hell gets someone DLC for Christmas?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Man, I was very much ready to see a bash fest on a heavy handed attempt to criticize games...but yeah, they did something great. It should be obvious when a parent shouldn't buy a game for there children, but they deserve props for providing a tool to help parents buy video games that they can enjoy appropriately. A lot of the alternatives they gave show that they did there research, but a few there also show that there arn't a lot of gamers there. I mean, Braid as an alternative to Dragon Age? That...doesn't even make sense. I guess finding an alternative would be rather difficult, but even, say, Tales of Monkey Island, or maybe Torchlight (I have not played far into Torchlight, Maybe it does end up being mature, I'm not sure) would fit the bill better then Braid. I mean, I love Braid, but REALLY? Would a kid not mature enough to play dragon age even GET Braid? Lets see if there's anything else...Well Borderlands and Infamous are pretty even in my book, and Overlord and L4D2 are a total mismatch. My only issue is that I think actual gamers should come up with a list like this, and help Common Sense Media out in doing a good thing.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
This list was actually pretty decent although a few of the alternatives are odd.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I don't get the Dragon Age to Braid--why not like Oblivion, or Morrowind? Maybe Torchlight? Braid isn't even that good, compared to the depth that Dragon Age offers.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
So instead of Demon's souls, they would advise Uncharted 2?

Well, since I have high hopes for both games, I guess I could give this list a try should I ever need to rear any kids.

Bobobble

May 23, 2009
Its a nice list but yeah as someone mentioned earlier, you'd be pretty crest-fallen if all the games you asked for were substitutes.

KarmicToast

Nov 11, 2008
Glefistus said:
Baby Tea said:
The Dragon Age - Braid combo was the only confusing bit on there.
Emphasis on story, I guess?

But otherwise, what a smart list! A good idea, implemented well!
I hope a few parents actually take heed of this! It's a great idea.
Have you ever played Dragon Age? The game in which you can drive a Mace through someone's jaw? You're honestly surprised it made the list?
I don't think he is surprised Dragon Age made the list. I think he is surprised that Braid was the alternative. A $60.00 80 hour fantasy RPG replaced with a $12.00 thought-provoking puzzle game... Doesn't make sense to me either.