Complain about a professional

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
Basically complain about any professional's work, e.g. doctors,engineers,teachers etc...

I hate how architects design floor plans. The rooms are so disproportionate from each other. Its obvious that you want a bigger master bedroom, but why do you intentionally make one kids room much nicer than another? Not just a little bigger closet or an extra sq. ft or two, but multiple closets, a better view and bigger in general. Have they never had siblings? Don't they think one kid is going feel awfully shitty when his older brother or sister has an intentionally better room than them?.Also, I hate floor plans that have laundry rooms in bathrooms, thats just nasty.Not to mention these homes that have over two hundred thousand dollar cost to build estimates,but don't even have a private master bath. Is it that foreign of an idea to let the person who just paid for this beast not have to share with the whole family?

Anyway I'm done bitchin' now it's your turn!

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Professional Athletes (American ones anyway) can all go and die in a fire. "Look at me! I can throw/catch a ball particularly well! Thank you for the extremely large paychecks! Woops, I sprained my ankle and won't be playing anymore this season...Thank you for letting me keep my money!" Scum of the fucking earth, professional athletes.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
Soccer players. "Oh no he barely touched me, lets dive and remain on the ground whining and pretending i'm hurt". Jesus... it can't get any whinier than a soccer players.

Tele-marketeers. I mean i know they're doing their jobs but when tele-marketeers from the same company call me three times in a week despite me having telling I was not interested the two first times that's just pushing it. And let's not forget those who work in call centers God knows where and who not only have horrible accents which make it impossible to understand them but on top of that they tend to be rude. I mean you're bothering me and you are rude ?! Really?! And than to top it off they even dare calling at 7-8 pm right at dinner time. Some days I don't even pick up the phone anymore because there is a 75% chance it's a tele marketeer and if it's someone i give a shit about they know my cell and would try reaching me on it if it was urgent.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
legend of duty said:
I hate how architects design floor plans. The rooms are so disproportionate from each other. Its obvious that you want a bigger master bedroom, but why do you intentionally make one kids room much nicer than another? Not just a little bigger closet or an extra sq. ft or two, but multiple closets, a better view and bigger in general. Have they never had siblings? Don't they think one kid is going feel awfully shitty when his older brother or sister has an intentionally better room than them?.Also, I hate floor plans that have laundry rooms in bathrooms, thats just nasty.Not to mention these homes that have over two hundred thousand dollar cost to build estimates,but don't even have a private master bath. Is it that foreign of an idea to let the person who just paid for this beast not have to share with the whole family?
Even the best architects are extremely limited in what they can do, each and every job is a series of compromises.

Between customer requests, the ten thousand or more safety restrictions they have to dance around, and just the basic limitations imposed by the volume they have to work with and the available construction budget, getting more than perhaps 1 in 50 of the jobs they take on done exactly like the customer wants would either take an act of god or shortcuts that illegally compromise the safety/integrity of the building.

This is not to say that there are not any bad architects out there, just that there is a better than even chance anything you don't like is there because the architect's hands were somehow tied, possibly as a result of something else you asked for.

OT: lawyers

Between the vulture like attitude towards even the most minor of mishaps, the general disregard for what I consider their primary job, ensuring that the judicial system acts to aid the public, and the incredibly inflated hourly wages (even when compared to professions with similarly high training requirements), there is no other group that I feel has in general earned more in the way of scorn. There are indeed good people in that profession, but they are quite rare.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I really dislike how my English prof shoves her political views into almost all of her assignments. Yes, it should be allowed to have open discussions on politics but our essays shouldn't have to be written in order to strengthen her attitudes and arguments when we may not agree.

But... I need the credit so I keep my mouth shut. My mind however isn't going to fall for it.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Oh, this is gonna be a good thread.

Sometimes, game developers. Seriously, you made it so that there is no way to change the resolution of your game before starting it up completely? Now your game crashes everytime I try it on something that isn't my monitor (I travel a lot, so I hook up my laptop to my monitor at home), and in order to change the resolution I have to start the game which crashes. ARGH. Now I have to dig out some horribly named and hidden away files to manually change it. Thanks, guys! And this isn't an indie title, for the record. Especially infuriating since there is a pre-startup menu with lots of options, just none for graphical and sound options.

Math teachers in elementary schools. I give lessons to kids. And you know what? about 70% of the problems they have come from their teachers explaining things really badly to them, especially (for them) new concepts - seriously, these kids just learned that fractions are possible, even though they were unthinkable just a day ago! And you couldn't have thought up a nice little metaphor to make it easier to understand how we write decimal fractions? Come on!
(On the other hand, don't change anything, I'm making money hand over fist with this stuff!)

For that matter, private tutors. Seriously, you take that much money for an hour? I already feel scummy for taking this much money, but these guys easily take DOUBLE that! They say it's because they are part of one of those tutor networks that you have to give a cut, but really, are those worth it? You can easily get clients yourself.

The women that help doctors run their office. Sorry, I don't remember the name for it, I know it's not always women, but you know who I mean. So incredibly many of them are arrogant, especially when it comes to questions of waiting time. So, I have an appointment at 8 o' clock? Alright. At 8:30 I ask how long she thinks it will take, and she has the audacity to make a rude remark that I should have known it takes a while. And then at 9:30, one and a god damn half hour after my appointment and no sign of it getting emptier, I ask if maybe I could just walk out and come back in half an hour so that I can get some stuff done, and she smugly declines and threatens me to strike out my appointment from the list if I leave.
Wow. And that kind of experience isn't rare, either. My mother has to visit a lot of doctors, and by god those assistants are horrible, arrogant rumour-mills on legs 90% of the time.

akai

Aug 23, 2013
Literature teachers. Those I have dealt with always tried to force their views on the entire class and never cared about the students' interpretation. Most of the time they just dismiss alternative approaches to the book/poem. I remember this guy who taught English literature in my sophomore year and he dismissed some parts of my interpretation of Kubla Khan as "incorrect." I mean, seriously, how can anyone be sure what an opium addict had in mind when he wrote the poem? I'm just saying the beauty of art is in our freedom to enjoy it from many different viewpoints.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
generals3 said:
Tele-marketeers.
Speaking as a professional telemarketer repulsor (Read as "Heckler"), I can safely say that there are no professional telemarketers.

OT: There's something I really hate about doctors, which is the old distraction technique to soften some kind of blow. They come in with That Look, the one that spells trouble, and then decide to first take an interest in something you're either doing or something about you or something that has nothing to do with the reason you happen to be there. The face and demeanor reeks of falsehood and misdirection so that they can then try to land you gently about your bad news.

It utterly FAILS. I'm in a hospital or a doctor's office for some reason, waiting for whatever sort of news regaqrding a thing. I am already in a bad mood because of it, most likely. Do not attempt to distract me from it and then drop the bomb. This will make NOBODY feel better. You're bad at your job if you think it will. Extra negative points if you also practice psychology. If you have good news, then fine. If you have bad news, deliver it first and then deliver some hope on what to do with the bad news.

I remember a time where I had injured my leg and the doctors came back saying that I had broken it, even though I could walk. They had attempted to distract me and then proceeded to hit me with this low blow, and it could not have hurt worse because I had had a broken leg at age nine, and I'm supremely displeased (nay, disturbed) by any notion that I'll have to go through that again. Fortunately, they were incompetent and wrong. It was some bone sliver they mistook for a break and that I had merely pulled the muscles of the ankle.

Furbyz

Oct 12, 2009
akai said:
Literature teachers. Those I have dealt with always tried to force their views on the entire class and never cared about the students' interpretation. Most of the time they just dismiss alternative approaches to the book/poem. I remember this guy who taught English literature in my sophomore year and he dismissed some parts of my interpretation of Kubla Khan as "incorrect." I mean, seriously, how can anyone be sure what an opium addict had in mind when he wrote the poem? I'm just saying the beauty of art is in our freedom to enjoy it from many different viewpoints.
I must have had the greatest Professor of all time then because she actively encouraged people to not only come up with their own interpretation, but was even overjoyed when I started making my essays as outlandish as possible. Oh, you want a page on three instances of symbolism in The Importance of Being Earnest? Yeah, I'll just write about the muffins they were eating...three different ways. Hell, I had a paper about why Beowulf is just about the worst protagonist ever and how Courage the Cowardly dog is infinitely superior.

legend of duty

Apr 30, 2011
rhizhim said:
legend of duty said:
Basically complain about any professional's work, e.g. doctors,engineers,teachers etc...

how about you try to make a good floor plan and then start bitchin about it.

architects already have to deal with a lot of shit while trying to meet the insatable and unrealistic demands of contractors and investors.

this thread serves no purporse other than trying to belittle people solely based on ignorance.
No shit! That's the point of this thread. Fuck professional Y! I hate how they do X. Live a little! ***** about someone, you already started with me. :)

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Heronblade said:

Between the vulture like attitude towards even the most minor of mishaps, the general disregard for what I consider their primary job, ensuring that the judicial system acts to aid the public, and the incredibly inflated hourly wages (even when compared to professions with similarly high training requirements), there is no other group that I feel has in general earned more in the way of scorn. There are indeed good people in that profession, but they are quite rare.
If you swap "judicial system" with the appropriate word, this applies to pretty much any profession: doctors, nurses, teachers, public servants...

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Heronblade said:

If you swap "judicial system" with the appropriate word, this applies to pretty much any profession: doctors, nurses, teachers, public servants...
Not really no, at least in the sense that I mean. I'm not talking about personal investment.

A doctor that doesn't give a damn about the health of others, but does the job for other reasons, is still doing a great deal of good for society. Not as much as they might be if fully invested, but still. A lawyer on the other hand is in a position where if they don't care, can do far more harm than good overall. In fact, doing harm is usually the more profitable option. As a result, we have entire teams of lawyers choosing to take action that is against the good of society. The equivalent behavior with a doctor might be a surgeon leaving a poor man on the table to bleed to death and heading off to work on the nose job of a rich client, and yet the lawyers aren't in danger of prosecution by pulling such crap, funny how that works.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Im going to put another tally towards lawyers. Many of the problems plaguing the US internally can be laid directly or indirectly at their feet.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Heronblade said:
Heronblade said:

Not really no, at least in the sense that I mean. I'm not talking about personal investment.

A doctor that doesn't give a damn about the health of others, but does the job for other reasons, is still doing a great deal of good for society. Not as much as they might be if fully invested, but still. A lawyer on the other hand is in a position where if they don't care, can do far more harm than good overall. In fact, doing harm is usually the more profitable option. As a result, we have entire teams of lawyers choosing to take action that is against the good of society. The equivalent behavior with a doctor might be a surgeon leaving a poor man on the table to bleed to death and heading off to work on the nose job of a rich client, and yet the lawyers aren't in danger of prosecution by pulling such crap, funny how that works.
Nonsense. If you're performing your role properly as a lawyer, and representing your client's best legal interests, you are doing "good", at least in the sense you are talking about. In any lesser sense the equivalent example for the doctor would be treating the flu, which may very well lead to more harmful novel strains of viruses.

Just like healing a wound is regarded as a social good, so is effective legal representation for the client. Society doesn't otherwise interest doctors or lawyers in their professional capacity.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Heronblade said:
Heronblade said:

Nonsense. If you're performing your role properly as a lawyer, and representing your client's best legal interests, you are doing "good", at least in the sense you are talking about. In any lesser sense the equivalent example for the doctor would be treating the flu, which may very well lead to more harmful novel strains of viruses.

Just like healing a wound is regarded as a social good, so is effective legal representation for the client. Society doesn't otherwise interest doctors or lawyers in their professional capacity.
Oh sure, because effective legal representation of a client never has direct and profound negative consequences for others...

Lawyers play a game where far more often than not, there is a loser to every conflict. This game has long since changed to the point where the loser is often not, as should be the case, the one in the wrong or has a weaker claim, but the one who could not afford the better lawyer.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
legend of duty said:

I remember in the first house we were in when I was a kid (before my parents moved down the street into my late great grandfather's house where I would spend the overwhelming majority of my childhood) the room I had was pretty much a walk in cupboard. The length of the bed went almost wall to wall, and when my grandfather gave me a small toy trains table, with that addition, the only space left was about a pace wide by the door.

It did have a bitchin' dimmer switch for the light, though. We need more dimmer switches in the world.

OT: Business people in general that clearly don't know a fucking thing about business. For example, the National Heritage committee that, while it doesn't own the pub at which I work, for some reason is judge, jury and executioner for vital decisions. Not really sure how that works. But my grievance with them is that they're quite clearly idiots.

The pub, like many English pubs, follows an old fashioned Victorianish aesthetic. To improve loyalty to this aesthetic, they recently made it mandatory for the owner to have single glazed windows put in to replace the current double glazing. This disregards the fact we already had the double glazed windows set into old fashioned frames. They're oblivious to the fact that assuming we want to keep a comfortable level of heating in the place for customers (not to mention the owners who live above the pub) with single glazed windows, we're looking at potentially as much as a 45% increase on our heating bill. In this fucking economy.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Fuck politicians. They are supposed to work on changing the country to make it better for the people living in it, not line their pockets, only care about reelection and enforce laws written for them by lobbyists. And having them set their own salary is a great idea, how could that ever go wrong?
Most of them are lawyers these days so fuck lawyers too.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Civil Engineers in the US, specifically regarding bicycle lanes. I've been a lot of places in the world, and I can say with certainty that splitting the edge of the street is a terrible idea, while splitting the sidewalk is a good one. We seriously need to become willing to learn from countries that did it better than us... with a lot of things, really.