Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Oh please, Dwarf Fortress has a dwarven computer in it that can Add Subtract Multiple and Divide out to 8 digits. It of course runs on lava.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
William Ossiss said:
this was done already, wasnt it?

just without RAM and etc. but it added and subtracted!
Which means it's an ALU [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic_logic_unit], not a CPU.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Now all that's left is to play Minecraft inside of Minecraft
Already happened:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109144-Man-Uses-Kinect-to-Play-Minecraft-in-Minecraft

Anyway... How do people come up with this shit? I've never really understood how redstone worked in the game. I've always stuck with making simple structures, castles, statues, I've never thought to even try and make a working computer. This is... Insane. But impressive.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Alar said:
This reminds me of a comic I read once, where there is only one man who lives as an immortal in an infinite existence. He searches through his existence and gathers up rocks, and he uses these rocks to create a massive computer, which runs a simulation that is the universe we live in.

This only gives more credence to the comic's claims!
'tis an XKCD.

Jabberwock xeno said:
How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?
You can! You just have to move all of the rocks yourself, or use gravity or something.

Mar 9, 2010
Averant said:
My God... A computer within a computer? That's... I don't even know. Ingenious? Insane? Will we make the matrix INSIDE the matrix? XD
No, it'll be a matrix within a dream within a matrix inside a Taco Bell!

OT: I've seen some of these before and they're pretty awesome. There's not a lot you can do with them yet and there won't be until Mojang adds something that leads to someone making an implementable screen.

May 5, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?
I guess, as long as it's fucking massive and you're operating on Minecraft physics.

Anyway, this is pretty crazy. It's only a matter of time until someone creates Minecraft within M-Oh they did.

Well, in that case, this is like some kind of...Mine-cept-Oh, someone made that joke already.

Um......OK, I got nothing.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Wow. I am a computer geek, yet I still feel confident in saying this guy is a bigger computer geek.

Zeromaxx

Walrus King
Jul 2, 2008
While this is amazingly impressive, I feel it's a step back in presentation from the earlier minecraft computers.

I mean really now...there was no talking to pigs in that video AT ALL.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
zpucek said:
William Ossiss said:
this was done already, wasnt it?

just without RAM and etc. but it added and subtracted!
Yes, by the same guy.
No, different guy, it's the very first thing he writes in the article.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Mad Hamish said:
Wow. That is impressive. Couldn't help but notice that he had peaceful mode turned on. That is not something you want creepers getting near.
When "troubleshooting your computer" involves actual shooting with bow and arrows, truly the world is a better place

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
See if the USAF had created SKYNET inside minecraft instead of the real world then the only things to die would be a few pigs.. And Steve..

Anyway, this is pretty bloody amazing, would be good to have a dedicated program to creating CPUs in a contained environment ( ie a computer program)

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Numachuka said:
Yopaz said:
This seems hard... I really hope he made a private server and cheated to get the stuff he needed. I really think some have too much time on their hands...
Or just use InvEdit.
Yeah. that works too. If he really got all the things he needed the honest way he's really worked way too hard...

argusthecat

Jul 15, 2010
You know what I'm waiting for? Someone to tweak that massive computer that got built using Dwarf Fortress to emulate playing Minecraft, which is itself emulating a computer of its own, possibly running an early version of The Matrix.