Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Captain Bobbossa said:
Wait, this has been don before. Whats the differance between this and that one made out of dirt blocks that streches into the horizon?
That one did calculations.

This one does calculations, stores the result, and does other calculations based on them.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Computer bugs in minecraft are actually called computer chickens.

Hes probably building an Anti-virus program to eliminate creepers.

Mine-Tron

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?
Sort of. A computer is built upon the concept of the Turing Machine. To water down a lot of details, basically one creates an electrical circuit who's properties change depending upon an input. The "rules" of the system, as in the fundamental rule that governs the operation of a computer is that a given segment can either operate as a wire (it lets current flow) or as a block (it greatly resists electrical flow). Using transistors (tiny devices that can be altered to allow current flow or resist it based upon an input current) one can construct very simple devices that allow for certain fundamental operations. For example AND (if you have current in one line AND current in another line you output current. Otherwise you do not) and OR (if you have current in one line OR another line or even both you output current).

These relatively simple devices are called Turing machines. If one combines large numbers of Turing machines they can do more complex tasks like add a pair of numbers or store information for later retrieval. Once complete, such a system of Turing machines becomes itself, a universal Turing machine. Simply put, given sufficient access to memory and given sufficient time anything that can be computed can be computed by a universal Turing machine.

Now, because a Turing machine is little more than a device that reads an input and produces an output according to a table of rules, it can take an enormous number of forms. In the simplest form, a person could themselves follow a very simple table of rules to produce such an output and act, themselves, as a Turing machine.

utopaline

Jan 28, 2011
oh shit, I guess Terminator the TV series was right. April 21 Skynet is supposed to become self aware...I think this is a step in that direction

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
It's only a small step before someone grabs zombies and makes Deep Rot (http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/12936417/).

nezroy

Oct 3, 2008
On behalf of all comp-sci majors everywhere... this is not hard, this is not brilliant, this is not even impressive. Creating a CPU within any system that allows for basic logic simulation is nothing special. You'd do it in 200-level courses as part of any comp-sci degree.

The fact that he did it in Minecraft is no more or less noteworthy than any other massive timesink project done in Minecraft. This project is no more special than, say, a giant penis or a scale model of the Enterprise.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Strixvaliano said:
How long until the computers inside Minecraft become self-aware and begin harvesting farm animals for energy?
lol

This video just strengthens my belief that Minecraft is the greatest sandbox game ever conceived.
I would not be surprised if AI is accidentally generated in a Minecraft game.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
Torrasque said:
This video just strengthens my belief that Minecraft is the greatest sandbox game ever conceived.
I can't disagree with that at all. Neither can any of my friends who I've introduced to it as well.

Ever since seeing these videos it makes me wonder if Minecraft will reach a point where the technology developed inside of it will begin to advance at a rate similar to our real life tech. Intentional or not on the part of Notch, it just goes to show how much ingenuity people really have with simplistic and limited resources at their disposal.

Either way it should be bloody interesting to see how far people take the ball and run with it.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Averant said:
My God... A computer within a computer? That's... I don't even know. Ingenious? Insane? Will we make the matrix INSIDE the matrix? XD
This ^^ combined with inception anything passed this and it's too far

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Strixvaliano said:
How long until the computers inside Minecraft become self-aware and begin harvesting farm animals for energy?
lol

....The video is not impressive, just a complete waste of time as it proves nothing.
And to say AI could be invented shows you do not understand in anyway how neural networks work.
Sarcasm is hard.
And if you're going to say that is a waste of time, then technically speaking, every single video game ever, is a waste of time.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Strixvaliano said:
lol

....The video is not impressive, just a complete waste of time as it proves nothing.
And to say AI could be invented shows you do not understand in anyway how neural networks work.
Sarcasm is hard.
And if you're going to say that is a waste of time, then technically speaking, every single video game ever, is a waste of time.
I'm not being sarcastic.
It would be a complete waste of time to even try to make a NN in Minecraft. It would take thousands of hours to make and the speed would make it so that running it (presuming we are going for a backwards propogation network) would take probably years.
Play an FPS to improve your skill at it. All this proves is the guy can follow basic instuctions. I could train a monkey to do it, but you can't train a monkey to win Gran Turismo etc.
I was being sarcastic in my comment. Obviously AI won't be stumbled upon in Minecraft, but it'd be funny if it was. Hence: sarcasm.
This guy made a computer in Minecraft just to prove that he could, and probably because he felt like it. Its like the guy that made the Starship Enterprise. Does that accomplish anything? Of course not, but its fun and cool.
And judging by what he has said, he didn't really follow that many instructions because alot of his computer is unique and uncommon.
I'd say making a computer in Minecraft (even if it is just "following basic instructions") is much more difficult than Gran Turismo. Driving games are easy shit.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Mazty said:
Torrasque said:
Strixvaliano said:
lol

Sarcasm is hard.
I'm not being sarcastic.
It would be a complete waste of time to even try to make a NN in Minecraft. It would take thousands of hours to make and the speed would make it so that running it (presuming we are going for a backwards propogation network) would take probably years.
Play an FPS to improve your skill at it. All this proves is the guy can follow basic instuctions. I could train a monkey to do it, but you can't train a monkey to win Gran Turismo etc.
I was being sarcastic in my comment. Obviously AI won't be stumbled upon in Minecraft, but it'd be funny if it was. Hence: sarcasm.
This guy made a computer in Minecraft just to prove that he could, and probably because he felt like it. Its like the guy that made the Starship Enterprise. Does that accomplish anything? Of course not, but its fun and cool.
And judging by what he has said, he didn't really follow that many instructions because alot of his computer is unique and uncommon.
I'd say making a computer in Minecraft (even if it is just "following basic instructions") is much more difficult than Gran Turismo. Driving games are easy shit.
...You can't stumble upon AI...That's not how it works...
Why is it fun? It's mindless repetition.
Why is it cool? It obviously can be done and merely requires a rediculous amount of time. If you think it's cool then clearly you must thing digging 1 billion 15cm holes is cool as it is the same - mindless repetition.
What he did is extremely simplitic in terms of electronics. It is far, far simplier than you give it credit for. And saying driving games are "easy as shit" shows you clearly have played very, very few.
lol, you're still missing my point, so I'll say this as simple as I can.
AI is hard to get.
It won't be obtained in Minecraft.
It would be humorous if it was obtained in Minecraft.
Hope that makes sense.

Minecraft is fun because its a limitless sandbox game that only has 1 limitation: your imagination. If you don't enjoy it, then its not the game's fault.
Of course its simple in electronic terms, its a fucking video game. I think its cool that he made it despite his simple tools and materials, just like I'd be impressed at a man making a computer out of a few chunks of wood and some dead squirrels.

How to play a driving game:
Gas is here, turn is here, e-brake is there.
Get comfortable with how to drift, get familiar with levels.
Voila. Driving game mastery 101.

*so you don't miss my point again*
That was not sarcasm.
I am not saying driving games are hard.
I am saying driving games are easy.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Jabberwock xeno said:
How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?
Code is merely instructions on how to do something, which can be "run" on any machine that is capable of understanding the code, including a machine that consists entirely of a guy moving rocks :)

You can find the comic here
http://xkcd.com/505/