Computer Cases - Your Opinions Please

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So something like this for PSU should work?

It depends what you’re powering. 650watts will work for a moderately older gaming system (say, 16xx series and below GPUs) or a modern general use system.

But if you were to build a rig with a 30 or 40 series RTX card I wouldn’t go any lower in wattage than 1000 or Platinum in rating.

Reactions: gorfias

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
So something like this for PSU should work?

It'd be fine to go with this.
A G3 is quite good, a little cheaper than a G6, and I'm not really sure what warrants the extra cost of the latter, outside of a slighly larger and different type of fan, but that shouldn't make a difference unless you're planning on running ithe psu full throttle for long periods of time.
It depends what you’re powering. 650watts will work for a moderately older gaming system (say, 16xx series and below GPUs) or a modern general use system.

But if you were to build a rig with a 30 or 40 series RTX card I wouldn’t go any lower in wattage than 1000 or Platinum in rating.
He's running an 6650xt, so 650w should be enough, assuming he's not running a really powerhogging cpu or something, but probably not.

Tho you're right that opgrade option would be limited. A 3070 or above, or their amd equivalents, would be a no go.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nothing fancy otherwise

Here's most of the build:

With 4 SSD and 1 HDD, but I don't think those take much power.

I don't plan to upgrade for at least 4-5 years and by then who know what power requirement will be.

Thanks for the help

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nothing fancy otherwise

Here's most of the build:

With 4 SSD and 1 HDD, but I don't think those take much power.

I don't plan to upgrade for at least 4-5 years and by then who know what power requirement will be.

Thanks for the help
Okay just a word of warning. Between the GPU and the two M.2 slots on the front of the motherboard, you might end up using all your PCIe lanes and the other two M.2 slots may not work if they use PCIe. So if its mass storage you want, get a SATA HDD, and try and consolidate down the M.2 drives to two by getting bigger ones.

Reactions: meiam

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
In general, I'd simply say to never cheap out on a PSU. Get the best you can afford. EVGA and Seasonic make good stuff. Corsairs too if you go higher end. You can use calculators to get yourself an idea of what wattage you need. Tho many tend to lowball a little, so it's good to give yourself some headroom to handle spikes. Also because no power supply is 100% efficient, keep in mind the rating (don't bother with anything under Gold). Higher also tends to be more reliable.
Gamer Nexus did a video on how the power supply ratings don't really mean much because they only test one very basic thing.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Gamer Nexus did a video on how the power supply ratings don't really mean much because they only test one very basic thing.

True, it can be a bit of a crapshoot. I'm ârtially mentioning it because higher rated PSUs, assuming they're from a good manufacturer, tend to have better quality capacitors, which does matter for reliability and longevity.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
True, it can be a bit of a crapshoot. I'm ârtially mentioning it because higher rated PSUs, assuming they're from a good manufacturer, tend to have better quality capacitors, which does matter for reliability and longevity.
Plus brands who built their reputation upon power supplies like EVGA or Corsair aren’t in a hurry to torpedo that rep by careless and badly managed issues - lookin’ at you; Gigabyte! - and tend to stick to their guns on ratings

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias and Chimpzy

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I'm going to be building for a combo of affordability, as cool/low watts as possible for a air cooled system and then speed and power.

I built a sample at microcenter.com using their PC builder. I'd selected a 3060ti and a Ryzen 7 7700 and a 650 watt and when complete there was a figure that read something like 370/650. I think what they mean is under full load, 370 watts of the 650 would be used. Seems like decent over-head. I wonder if there is a figure for a suggested max load ie. back in the day, I was told to keep at least 10% of a hard drive blank. Reviewing.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I wonder if there is a figure for a suggested max load ie. back in the day
The old method I first heard when I started building over a decade ago and used up until I stopped was "take the max load your PC can draw, then double it to get your recommended PSU wattage"

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
The old method I first heard when I started building over a decade ago and used up until I stopped was "take the max load your PC can draw, then double it to get your recommended PSU wattage"
I'm not sure it's quite as bad now, but it's still a good idea to have some overhead. The reason why is that video cards can make a sudden request for extra power while drawing a particularly complex frame, and if this pushes your PSU enough to trigger over-current protection, it'll shut down to protect your computer. That protection will usually be somewhere around 30% above the PSU's rated maximum wattage, but it may go off below that.

Reactions: Elvis Starburst

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Truth be told, that formula is still probably worth adhering to. All the stuff I read prior to getting my 3080 was basically make sure to get double the peak draw of the card at minimum. I just went “Fuck it, 1200 watts it is!”.