Computer Teacher Uses Minecraft as Curriculum

Pebkac

May 1, 2009
Oh man, I can't wait to see what these kids built. I've always loved seeing things get built in fast-forward.

Dude's blog is awesome too.

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
Hungry Donner said:
My six-year-old son, who's in Kindergarten at the moment, loves Minecraft and I could definitely see using it in a classroom situation like this. It's a great way to get kids to think in three dimensions, to consider resource management, and the effects of their actions. With a little work it could also be a good demonstration of ecological preservation versus the 'progress' of civilization: anyone who has massacred a forest for lumber, or had to empty out a pond to build something, knows what I'm talking about :)
I've stripped mined an entire beach out of existence in order to tile my glorious sky tower with glass.
I've tried to cover up the deep scar by flooding it, but... it's just not the same. :'(

Pebkac

May 1, 2009
Hungry Donner said:
My six-year-old son, who's in Kindergarten at the moment, loves Minecraft and I could definitely see using it in a classroom situation like this. It's a great way to get kids to think in three dimensions, to consider resource management, and the effects of their actions. With a little work it could also be a good demonstration of ecological preservation versus the 'progress' of civilization: anyone who has massacred a forest for lumber, or had to empty out a pond to build something, knows what I'm talking about :)
I was curious about how the fire spreading mechanics worked, so I used flint and steel on a tree. It was part of a ginormous forest. We grabbed buckets of water and tried to put it out, and chopped down trees before the fire could spread too far... But then gave up after it looked like the entire world was on fire. We started planting new trees, even while the fire was still going.

The fire burned for a few Minecraft days. At night, we could still see it burning in the horizon.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
Pebkac said:
Hungry Donner said:
I was curious about how the fire spreading mechanics worked, so I used flint and steel on a tree. It was part of a ginormous forest. We grabbed buckets of water and tried to put it out, and chopped down trees before the fire could spread too far... But then gave up after it looked like the entire world was on fire. We started planting new trees, even while the fire was still going.

The fire burned for a few Minecraft days. At night, we could still see it burning in the horizon.
Oh gods!!! THE HORRORS! Think of the screams of the little minecraft creatures dieing in the inferno! YOU MONSTER!

OT: I love this idea. As said above, so many uses for just one little game. I think Minecraft is shaping up to be the game of the decade! It reminds me of high school several years ago, my friends and I used to use Gamemaker 3000 I think it was to create side scrolling shumps a la Metal Slug in ICT. THen we'd play AoE II whilst we waited for the rest of the class to catch up. WE were the nerds. after about 3 weeks of that, even the teacher started playing AoE with us. He kicked our arses too, the bastard. We got him back by introducing him to DoTA the next year. HAHAHA!

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Considering I just built a massive egyptian temple in about 4 days, can we make it a college course so I can test out of this class? I could use the BS credits towards finishing my premedical degree.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
........Can someone PLEASE DDoS Minecraft again? I am sick of Minecraft this and Minecraft that.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Dfskelleton said:
My friend and I play Minecraft in computer class. I'm not sure if we're supposed to, but we do it anyways :D
Good memories return to me of the day the teacher caught me playing Doom while in computer class:
Damn, we used to just play Spacewar! [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacewar!] in computer class. Now I feel old.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Very interesting video. As a student studying to become a Primary School teacher myself I can watch this video and analyse the positive and negative aspects...

Positive: Kids are engaged straight away, learning can also be achieved by modifying the world. This can also show students some possible occupations and allows the teacher to see what they are more interested in (for example, mining, architecture, farming etc.)

Negative: The students (Grade 2, Stage 1) are probably too young at this stage and while they have a good concept of the game they dont really take to the challenges. I think it would be much more beneficial in teaching Stage 2 or Stage 3 students (grades 3-6) as they will have the ability to work well together and create some amazing things. Another thing is that I think the teacher spent too much time talking. The students were clearly too excited to be able to play the game and may not have been listening fully. They were restless

I would actually like to try this when I go out teaching.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
Ok, now they have to figure out how to do my job in Minecraft. Let's see, how could we get Adobe InDesign integrated to a java game...?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I remember a few courses that were this awesome. I like to think of them as sundae courses. Fun while still learning something.
Hungry Donner said:
I do. Whenever I am building on a new world I am hesitant to go gung-ho to harvest sand or surface stone, as I know I will be seeing that from the top of my grandiose tower when it is built. If I want a forest to remain I replant the trees as I finish chopping them down, and I trim around the edges of sand dunes and mountains. It's a bit harder, but the reward when my fortress is finished and I stand on the tower to view my domain is all the richer for not seeing pits and decimated forests everywhere.
Judgement101 said:
........Can someone PLEASE DDoS Minecraft again? I am sick of Minecraft this and Minecraft that.
Short Answer: No
Second Answer: Still going with No.
Besides which, doing a DDOS on Mojang will only put Minecraft on the news again. Your criminal logic befuddles me.
And lookee here, there are lots of other articles here to peruse, most which don't deal with Minecraft. You should go visit them!
Pebkac said:

On two of my worlds I had forest fires started by surface lava(pool or fall), and in one I watched it start at the horizon and slowly work its way towards where I was working. I was building with stone in this world so didn't have too much to worry about except the possibility of any close lumber going up in smoke. So like a true firejumper, I went over to the fire and sought to take down trees to make a break. I think I succeeded as it did die out not long after with many trees spared. Not to mention going back to base with a lot of lumber. And burns. There is some basis in Minecraft in how to suppress forest fires.

Also I swear forests have been denser lately since 1.3.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
HankMan said:
Wow, those kids really like lighthouses!

I can't think of a joke for that, I must have mined some writer's block
Oh-ho! And he pulls it back!

I love games like Minecraft and how they can be used in so many ways. Minecraft is, essentially, just like lego as far as it goes for creativity value for kids.
[small]And students with too much time.[/small]

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
OBSIDIAN!

That kid's got ambition.

But seriously, this is a really cool idea. It develops teamwork skills, problem solving, resource management - not to mention that due to the aesthetic design of minecraft it's perfect for kids.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
HankMan said:
Wow, those kids really like lighthouses!
I can't think of a joke for that, I must have mined some writer's block
Comeon you can 'Build' up a better joke than that. Its not like you hit 'bedrock'. If you 'dig' a bit more you might find something of 'mine' worthy of your 'craft'.

Hehe.. Im worse than you.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Innovative, and cute. It's good too see a teacher recognizing the value of Minecraft and speaking so well to his students.

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
The Extra Credits guys would be proud!

I watched the video and all I could think was THIS. WORKS.