Computer turned off by itself.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Worgen said:
VG_Addict said:
OK, my computer shut off while it was on the boot screen.

Is my computer dying?

I felt the sides of the tower to see if it's overheating, but the sides are cold.

Does that mean it's not overheating?
Depends on what screen you mean, if it was the bios screen then that's not good, if it was the windows login, that's still not good but not as bad, possibly. You can go into the bios and you might have a temp counter in there somewhere so you could see if it is overheating. You won't be able to feel anything from the case, you need bios or a program like speccy that will tell you what the cpu is running at. It is possible that your motherboard is going, in which case you will probably need to look for a new machine or at least take it to someone who can actually examine it, only so much I can do with the descriptions you're giving.
I'm talking about the screen when you first turn on the computer, and you see the manufacturer's logo.

When I pressed the power button, the light turned on, turned off, then turned on again.

Went to BIOS, it says memory is running at 1600 Mhz.

My computer will be 6 years old this October. Could my computer just be old?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
VG_Addict said:
Worgen said:
VG_Addict said:

Is my computer dying?

I felt the sides of the tower to see if it's overheating, but the sides are cold.

Depends on what screen you mean, if it was the bios screen then that's not good, if it was the windows login, that's still not good but not as bad, possibly. You can go into the bios and you might have a temp counter in there somewhere so you could see if it is overheating. You won't be able to feel anything from the case, you need bios or a program like speccy that will tell you what the cpu is running at. It is possible that your motherboard is going, in which case you will probably need to look for a new machine or at least take it to someone who can actually examine it, only so much I can do with the descriptions you're giving.
I'm talking about the screen when you first turn on the computer, and you see the manufacturer's logo.

When I pressed the power button, the light turned on, turned off, then turned on again.

Certain parts in the computer can wear out. I would expect parts to last more than 5 years, but some don't. Your motherboard is probably in a death spiral if it isn't a power supply problem (either the unit or connections). You have to bring it to somebody professional at this point if you want to save it. Replacing the motherboard usually means also replacing the CPU cuz models of motherboards are paired with models of CPUs, so that's very pricey. If the computer was prebuilt, you'd probably just have to replace the whole thing.

I do suggest getting a professional to look at it, it's pricey but not as much as the mobo+CPU if it turns out its something like a faulty RAM stick instead. You don't sound as if you know much about testing hardware, and trying to use this near-dead forum as tech support doesn't seem like it's getting you very far, with the rate of progression of your PC failing.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Used a program called Open Hardware Monitor, which tells you the temperatures for your CPU and graphics card and it says the temperature is 40 C. So, I guess it's not overheating.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
VG_Addict said:
Worgen said:
VG_Addict said:

Is my computer dying?

As Ewok says, that makes it sound like either the power supply or the motherboard. Generally you have to start worrying about hardware failure after 5 years so you could get it repaired, but you would probably be better off getting a new computer. Just make sure to grab your hard drives, those can be moved to a new machine easily, so can your vid card and ram, but ram is more complicated since if its a 6 year old machine, then chances are its still using ddr 3 ram and now the standard is ddr4 which isn't backwards compatible. But yeah, probably time for a new machine.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
VG_Addict said:
Here are the Speccy results: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/slWS1EZuSgb8lgPomdoiInN
Hmm, not as old as I assumed, weird that it had windows 8.1 in 2017. The temps look good in it, I don't see anything there. You are running a lower spec system then I thought, not much ram, slower cpu and just an integrated video card. I still think that its hardware dying, either the motherboard or the power supply unit and I don't think its really worth the price to repair the system unless money is really tight and even then it might still be cheaper to get similarly specced machine but with windows 10 and a gpu.