Concerning Final Fantasy 7, 10, and 12.

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
So far from what I gathered popular opinion is that: 10 and 12 were absolutely wretched horrible games that embodies everything that is supposedly wrong with Final Fantasy now a days, and opinions on FF 7 are like Nicolas Cage in that they don't do middle ground, it is either the greatest thing ever made or it is the single most over rated game in existence and is actually pretty bad.

Am I the only one who thinks every one of those people are talking out their asses? I mean I actually like JRPGs but I think the games range from "yea its pretty good I guess" to "I enjoyed it quite a bit".

I mean take for example number 12. Many criticisms aimed were incredibly over-blow when you get right down to it. Like the art style, I liked the it. It was different, lively, and brought a good deal of character to the world (and ummm yea, Viera, O_O ........ *droool*). People were going on and on that it didn't look like Final Fantasy. Wait what? Name one FF that looks like another (not including squeals). There was also a big uproar that "The game plays itself". Bull, the game ONLY did that if you abused the living crap out of the gambit system and ONLY to a Minor extent. I can think of far worse jrpgs than this (including #8, sorry but that game was pretty damn bad.)

Then you have the big huge debate over #7. Ok so when exactly did this even start? I dont even remember reading any discussions till far into the ps2 lifetime. Yea the game is above average (Others like Legend of Dragoon and Xenoblade did it better in the same console life-span) but I dont see where all the hate/idolisism is coming from.I tell ya the game is a bit nostalgic to me, I mean come on, I grew up playing it how can I not be? To my mind the game did the style more than competently but didn't break barriers.

Seriously where is this coming from? Or is it just because Squenix is just the punching bag of Rpgs? To me I consider each game to be a separate game unto itself with cross over themes, thus I judge each by the game its sel, and taken by themselves they are pretty good, not Fantastic, not Horrible, but just pretty good.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I enjoyed 7 and 10, never really felt like trying 12 so I can't weigh an opinion on it.

I wouldn't say any are greatest game ever types of things but I don't see why that means I can't just enjoy it.

Jerubbaal

Jul 22, 2011
Ok.

But to respond to your question about VII, X, and XII, I'll give you my two bits.

The story for FFVII literally makes no sense, at least not for the first 20-30 hours of play, and that is a very bad thing. At least in FFX you had no clue what sin was or what happened to your home or the summoners have to do to defeat Sin, but it was clear that those were going to be answered progressively as the game went on. That's why, in spite of its other flaws (terrible voice acting, to name one) FFX was a decent, engaging game.

Not so for FFVII. The problem that I've seen is that most FFVII fans are also anime fans, and anime fans don't mind when their stories don't make any sense so long as they have dudes with spiky hair and big swords, and so long as the general feel of the game is "awesome" and the girls in game are hot they don't mind the fact that the story is nonsense and that it takes 20 hours to even scratch the surface of what the hell's going on. Add to that that the gameplay is super slow paced, and it's really not that great of a game. Apart from the fact that it popularized JRPGs amongst the general public, it hasn't accomplished much.

As far as FFXII goes, I only played the first hour or so of it and can't really tell you what I think. From what I did play, I can say it felt like they were trying to inject a little bit of WRPG into the series.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
I have never heard popular opinion express a distaste for FFX. Quite the contrary, I've heard vastly more people gush endlessly about it. Personally I think all the Final Fantasy games are excellent in their own ways with IX and XII being my favourites. But alas, I have no official statistics and ha only my personal experience to offer.

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
For some people FF7 marks the start of the new-gen 3D FF's and the surge in mainstream popularity which offends their hipster sensibilities and nostalgic love for the earlier games in the series.

For them, each newly released FF is the worst one yet. Of the non-2D FF's, FF9 seems to be the only one that gets a pass among this group, probably because its a tribute to the earlier games.

For some people, as soon as a web critic like Spoony or Yahtzee pans a game, it must be awful, and all their complaints will be parroted regardless of how little sense they make. After all, endlessly quoting a popular critic makes you funny and witty too, right?

Are they mocking the scene in FFX where Yuna and Tidus are faking laughter because it sounds so fake? Congratulations, you've just identified this group.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
From what I gathered X wasn't considered that bad. Although I've only been looking in forums the last few years and the hate for X could have been really bad like XIII but since it's been so long so many people have forgotten their hatred for it. I find the hate and love for X to be fairly even.

As for me.

I absolutely love X and it's my favourite of the series. Actually, it's my favourite game of all time.

I found VII to be very good.

And I found XII to be overall good.

I can understand if someone hates X and XII but, the things that annoyed most people in them didn't really annoy me. Although I do agree with most people that XIIs story was very slow in some areas.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
FF7 is one of my favorite games (I love the materia system and would like to see a modernized version of it). Also, I think it has one of the best twists in gaming.

Yes, I'm actually spoiler tagging a popular PS1 game. Deal with it.
No, I'm not talking about Aeris/th's death, although that was a great, emotional moment.
Cloud is an unreliable narrator? The protagonist gave me a false backstory? WHAT????

I liked 8 as well, mostly for the story (although Ultimacia should have been explained better), but it's probably my least favorite of the post-SNES games. FF9 is my favorite in the series (Vivi is my favorite character in the series). FF10's combat is fantastic! ATB with the ability to swap out characters in mid fight. Excellent!

I remember feeling mixed about FF12. I think the combat should have either stayed ATB/Turn-Based or gone into full action mode. The ATB/Action just felt like an awkward middle ground. That said, it's been a while, so I'll give it another shot when my brother returns my PS2 (or I break down and buy a slim). I did really like the setting, so I definitely want to give the game another chance.

I'd say each game is really good (well...I'd say FF8 is "pretty good"), and if their best elements were pored into one game, we may get a modern classic.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
The only Final Fantasies I've enjoyed were 4,5,6,7,and 9.
1,2,and 3 I didn't feel like trying.
8 the story had to many loopholes and sometimes things were just to retarded
10 I really felt bored playing this and gave up it was so boring to me
11,12 Never played
13 I don't wanna mash X while running down linear corridors THATS BORING also the story seemed pretty stupid to me.

Though I have a curse (with lots of games but especially Final Fatasy) I almost never beat them.
I've started so many play thrus of Final Fantasy games but the only one I've finished is 7 one time. I just get distracted leave the game and by the time I come back I've forgotten the plot.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
FF12 is my favorite Final Fantasy game. It pushed the envelope more than any other RPG I've played in the last 10 years. It created a whole new genre of rpg gameplay a sort of middle ground between turn based and action RPGs. Problem is rpg players are a notoriously picky and stubborn lot and don't handle change well so there was nothing but griping from both sides. People complained that the gambits ruined everything and wanted total control, others bemoaned that the ancillary party members weren't automated enough. Square-Enix took their complaints to heart and its what made ff13 so wretched.

I've never understood the fanboying over FF7, beyond the desire to prove that you liked FF 'before it was cool.' It was a decent story, but the gameplay was pretty dull.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Final Fantasy series is an anthology of course, all 14 are essentially different from each other except for certain things like crystals, creatures and, certain names (like Biggs, Wedge and, Cid)

That being said, I've played Final Fantasies 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and, 13. I missed out on 11 and 14 because they're MMOs (although I think 14 may be dead at this point...also I can't run it on my computer). 12 came out when I was without a PS2 and 5...I need to pick that up, especially since I have a GBA-SP to play it on. Anyway, out of those I've only beaten 2, 4, 7, 8 and, 9. Of those I can say that 7 was a middle-ground game for me personally.

Final Fantasy 7 was a turning point in the series: it was the first 3D one. Other than that it wasn't the best but it wasn't one I would consider 'worst' (that was 3 which I honestly should give another chance) I liked a lot of the minor arcs in 7 though like, Don Corneo's life and death. I would also always make it so that Yuffie would go on the gondola with me.

I really really really want to play 12. I'll need to pick that up...I would also need a PS2 but one step at a time.

Final Fantasy 10 was one I didn't really care about. Lulu was the most interesting character in my opinion and everyone is human there's only one non-human. Kind of a poor excuse really but I blame 6 for letting me play as Mog and 9 for giving me a Black Mage and, whatever the hell Quina and Amarant are. Also, 7 let you play as Nanaki and, Cait Sith (a dog and cat duo! Also a stuffed Moogle)

If anything 13 was the worst. It was the only one I really, really disliked. 9 was my favorite but I loved the junction system in 8.

Beertaster

Jan 20, 2011
FF 7 came out in 1997 when games were in the midst of the 3d revolution, and for games back then, there was a title that rocked your socks off for each genre. So FF7 garners the respect, fandom, and nostalgia of a great many players.

I played FF10 and I liked it, it was the first RPG I ever played through to the end. Something I notice of a Final Fantasy formula though is a over arching story of saving the world, a planet to explore and learn about, quirky humore, a sappy love story, and combat system of numbers, stats, and levels. That being said FF10 meets all of these parts of the general formula. So I don't know why anyone would hate FF10. Too me its a good PS2 game.

FF12 I did buy but never finished. I think the combat style just isn't for me, and also it probably wasn't for a number of FF fans. I remember the system was rated as a wonderful improvement and there must be many people who agree, but again I wouldn't know. FF12 was also filled with political intrigue (something I like, alot). But it seems to be a foreign thing to the series "FF". I mean its something outside of that old formula fans keep going back for (and its fans who talk about FF). So I can see why so many people criticize FF12 on its differences, and that its wasn't in their tastes.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
I really liked 7, marginally enjoyed 10 and was bored to death by 12. That's all there is to it. We're talking about personal experience here.

JesseLovesYouKinda said:
BUT I LOOOOOOVE XII!!! How can people say it was bad...

That's how.

LokiArchetype

Nov 11, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
I really liked 7, marginally enjoyed 10 and was bored to death by 12. That's all there is to it. We're talking about personal experience here.

JesseLovesYouKinda said:

That's how.
That's X not XII.

Also, there's nothing wrong with that clip. I'd be willing to bet most of the people that laugh at how silly it is do goofy things and think they're hilarious.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
The general consensus is if one likes X or XII, they hate the other.

The other consensus is if a person played FFVII when it was new, then it's pretty much guaranteed that that loved it.

All FF's are stellar quality and when the franchise doesn't appease in every aspect (it never does), a certain group of fans hate it while another loves it.

If anything, how much attention the games receive even if they are considered 'horrific' only shows how much quality lies within each title. Normally, when a JRPG is only 'okay,' people give it a lot of credit. But FF is a classic name and everyone has fond feelings with a certain entry. When the franchise releases a new title and it's no similar to the title a group of people loved, it receives bad attention.

It's just how FF fans work.

ManWithHat

Apr 1, 2011
I only played through most of the first disc of VII, and I enjoyed it for the most part; definitely would like to finish it.

I played through all of X, and I just loved it. I loved the characters, the story, and the fighting system was not bad. Though the laughing scene was indeed off-putting, overall it was great.

I never really played much of XII, so I can't really say much about it besides that it look interesting and something I would certainly like to try.

I can absolutely understand how some people can love or hate any FF game. FF games are just the kind of games that you love or hate; they appeal differently to everybody.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
LokiArchetype said:
That's X not XII.

Also, there's nothing wrong with that clip and I'd be willing to bet most of the people that laugh at how silly it is do goofy things and think they're hilarious.
That clip was just bad localization, not Tidus trying to be goofy....

It's nowhere near as bad in the JP version.

But even if it were, their could've been a billion better and more natural ways to do achieve that goal. Just look at EVERY sitcom.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
LokiArchetype said:
SL33TBL1ND said:

JesseLovesYouKinda said:

That's how.
That's X not XII.

Also, there's nothing wrong with that clip. I'd be willing to bet most of the people that laugh at how silly it is do goofy things and think they're hilarious.
I couldn't tell, there were too many redundant exclamation marks in your post.