Confessions of a Game Shop Employee

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Why do you ask me if I have a storecard, when it's the second time I've been in the damn shop?

Seriously, I went in, bought something, was asked if I had a card. I went in an hour later to pick something else up, and the same guy who served me asked me AGAIN!
Because we zone out, and unless you have a hilarious facial disfigurement, we won't remember you. Did you point out that you'd been in the shop earlier? He might have remembered you then.

Trendkill6 said:
Is it ironic if the one outside the mall where I live is right next to a starbucks?
No, it's to be expected. Is there a Wal-Mart there as well?

l Ancient l said:
...What's your shoe size?
11. My ring size is 8/. I enjoy long walks on the beach, dinners by candlelight and bubblebaths.

Trendkill6

Dec 14, 2008
seamusotorain said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Why do you ask me if I have a storecard, when it's the second time I've been in the damn shop?

Seriously, I went in, bought something, was asked if I had a card. I went in an hour later to pick something else up, and the same guy who served me asked me AGAIN!
Because we zone out, and unless you have a hilarious facial disfigurement, we won't remember you. Did you point out that you'd been in the shop earlier? He might have remembered you then.

Trendkill6 said:
Is it ironic if the one outside the mall where I live is right next to a starbucks?
No, it's to be expected. Is there a Wal-Mart there as well?
Actually there's one less than 50 feet down the street >.<

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
This thread is very brave of you considering how much some gamers hate Gamestop/EB Games. What I find so funny is that most of the people who gripe about the stores (including the jerks on here who are giving you such a hard time) still shop at them anyway.

I shop at my local EB sometimes. I've been working retail for five years now and understand exactly where you are coming from, Seamusotorain. A few of the questions on this thread are good ones and even a bit understandable. Most are just rants though. I hope you have a pretty thick skin. I also shop at Game Crazy and at all of my area "mom and pop" stores too. I work at a "mom and pop" small chain most people on here have probably never heard of called Game Haven, but I buy most of my own games elsewhere as its too difficult to track down my manager to get the employee discount at my own store (plus I can't sell to myself). Sometimes, I trade in games I buy elsewhere in at my own store (we have great trade in values) though. We've got a pretty good catalog of games at our store, but I always find games at other stores that we don't have. If you ever start to feel burnt out from working for a corporate giant like EB, try working at a smaller, "mom and pop" store, if you have any left in your area. I used to work for big stores like Sears, CompUSA and Blockbuster, but I prefer working in family owned stores like I do now. I get along better with my supervisor and coworkers here than I ever did at the other places. I can even talk with the actual owner of the stores via phone and email whenever I want to. Been able to make some suggestions that he has actually followed up on and made changes to our stores too. You have more freedom to do your own thing as a manager of a store like this too.

Here's an idea Escapists, if you hate Gamestop/EB so much, don't shop there. Also, please quit griping about it on every internet forum. It's getting pretty tedious and annoying. If you are going to shop there anyway, just shut up and shop already.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
dukethepcdr said:
This thread is very brave of you considering how much some gamers hate Gamestop/EB Games. What I find so funny is that most of the people who gripe about the stores (including the jerks on here who are giving you such a hard time) still shop at them anyway.

I shop at my local EB sometimes. I've been working retail for five years now and understand exactly where you are coming from, Seamusotorain. A few of the questions on this thread are good ones and even a bit understandable. Most are just rants though. I hope you have a pretty thick skin. I also shop at Game Crazy and at all of my area "mom and pop" stores too. I work at a "mom and pop" small chain most people on here have probably never heard of called Game Haven, but I buy most of my own games elsewhere as its too difficult to track down my manager to get the employee discount at my own store (plus I can't sell to myself). Sometimes, I trade in games I buy elsewhere in at my own store (we have great trade in values) though. We've got a pretty good catalog of games at our store, but I always find games at other stores that we don't have. If you ever start to feel burnt out from working for a corporate giant like EB, try working at a smaller, "mom and pop" store, if you have any left in your area. I used to work for big stores like Sears, CompUSA and Blockbuster, but I prefer working in family owned stores like I do now. I get along better with my supervisor and coworkers here than I ever did at the other places. I can even talk with the actual owner of the stores via phone and email whenever I want to. Been able to make some suggestions that he has actually followed up on and made changes to our stores too. You have more freedom to do your own thing as a manager of a store like this too.

Here's an idea Escapists, if you hate Gamestop/EB so much, don't shop there. Also, please quit griping about it on every internet forum. It's getting pretty tedious and annoying. If you are going to shop there anyway, just shut up and shop already.
I don't take any of it personally, I'm not defined by the place I work at. We don't really have any left near where i live. The afformentioned assbiscuit closed down years ago, and the only other individualy-run shop's owner moved. To prison. For murdering his wife. And anyway, I'm lucky I have a job I can return to when I'm finished my exams.

CapnDork1337

Oct 16, 2008
Well let me just start with a big HA HA! Okay I'm joking about the laughing at you guys, but I do find it a bit funny how bad some of the stores you guys go to are yet you keep on going. I have gotten probably about 38 of the 40 games I have from my local gamestop because they rock. Only once did I have to go back in because they forgot to put a game in a case (which was odd considering they remembered the other one that i got) and the only thing they ever even remotely hassle me about is getting that warranty for a few extra dollars. Staff is friendly and sometimes even helpful.

But I do have a question based on something I've seen happen multiple times while I've been shopping there. The best example is this woman was buying games for her ten year old son. I knew this because I was standing behind her in line and she was telling the employee all about it. She even said the games that he had with it which were only like two because he had gotten it for his birthday, but they were age appropriate games picked up by the father. I glanced at what she was getting him, and it was Gears 1, Gears 2, and GTA 4. Because that's what he had asked for. And the employee didn't say a friggin word.

So my question is, HOW DO YOU GET AWAY WITH DOING THAT! I know the logical reason is more money for the store, but thats not right, may lead to you losing a potential regular, and gives games and gamers a bad reputation if we're selling these games to ten year olds.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
I don't know where you guys get all this hate from because every time I've went there I've always had a good experience. The staff is kind and knowledgeable, and the prices are fair. You guys make it sound like your buying your games at the the threshold of hell.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
I don't know where you guys get all this hate from because every time I've went there I've always had a good experience. The staff is kind and knowledgeable, and the prices are fair. You guys make it sound like your buying your games at the the threshold of hell.
Yeah, you have to throw Cerberus a couple of steaks on your way in, it annoys people.

Fredrick2003 said:
The thing is there are so many BETTER places to go than Gamestop.

Gamestop doesn't even carry import games, or anything before Playstation 2 (except in rare instances Game Boy games that STILL haven't been sold).
Agreed. The fact that we don't sell Gameboy Advanceor Xbox games annoys me. But, to be fair, very few shops sell imported games, as there isn't a high demand for them. That's like giving out about Tescos not selling Bird's Nest Soup.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
Well I didn't know few shops sold import games. All the ones besides Gamestop here do...

EDIT: I mean, at one point in time Gamestop advertised itself as a "specialty store" (No, unfortunately I can't prove this, I do not have the advertisement.) As a specialty store you should like, specialize >_>, and not just be Walmart with the added ability of ripping people off.

EDIT2: By YOU, of course, I mean the Gamestop chain of video game stores, not you personally. I think that about covers it...

My Gamestop still sells Xbox games they are just not taking any more trades or getting anymore in. The same with Game Boy games (it kills me seeing Pokemon Red there).
...unfortunatly, all of your comments are from an American point of view. There isn't one shop (to my knowledge) in Ireland that imports games. Then again, I could be misinterpreting you. By import, you mean ship in games from Japan/America (obviously not America in your case...) and sell them? In that case, hell to the no. My Gamestop sells prewoned Xbox games, and still takes trade-ins. No GBA games for us, preoned or otherwise. i like those edits, they make you seem careful and things.

Griever18 said:
If someone tries to buy a copy of Poke'mon Silver/Gold do you warn them about the whole 'Battery' thing?
Luckily I've never had to sell a copy of Pokemon Gold or Silver, because I'd never heard of that.

*Googles*

Whut!?!?!? What gobsheen decided that that would be a good idea? *Sigh*

TopHatTim

Nov 8, 2008
Is Gamestop like the EBGames crew? who must sacrifice kittens Bi-weekly to prove worthiness of paycheck...

EBgames is way worse then gamestop outright in my opinion

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I have watched the PC section of my local Game Stop get moved shrunk and moved again. I is getting to the point where I buy stuff primarily through steam. I occasionally walk into game stop to look at the pretty cover art and breath the atmosphere, but looking at the dwindling PC selection makes me sad.

My questions are:

Does the dwindling PC section sadden you as well?

and

When you expect management to pull up anchor and make it a console only shop (if they haven't already)?

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
I lost a game with about 100 hours on it to that battery...
Ouch. They should have made it recharge off the Game Boy. Or maybe you shouldn't have wasted 100 hours ############ battle monsters...
hamster mk 4 said:
I have watched the PC section of my local Game Stop get moved shrunk and moved again. I is getting to the point where I buy stuff primarily through steam. I occasionally walk into game stop to look at the pretty cover art and breath the atmosphere, but looking at the dwindling PC selection makes me sad.

hamster mk 4 said:
My questions are:

Does the dwindling PC section sadden you as well?

and

When you expect management to pull up anchor and make it a console only shop (if they haven't already)?
I'm not a PC Gamer, but there is much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair among our resident PC-face when he notices that the majority of our PC games are bargain-bin Disney titles.

I don't think they ever will, they'll just only keep the most popular games (Sims, WoW etc). We sold out of WoW: Lich King in about 2 days, and we had stocked up on it, so I figure once they stop making a profit, that'll be that.

captainwolfos

Feb 14, 2009
Charli said:
Why is it everyone that works there seems to treat you with distain as if you're not even worthy of the merchendise? No seriously while I'm aware being female and possessing an ounce of fashion sense above 'tracksuit pants' and scruffy T-shirt means I don't appear to be a gamer, but when I bought WoTLK and a Final Fantasy CC game, I got so much loathing eminatting from the dude behind the cash register I could almost feel the hell fire rising behind him.
I'm a rather dedicated gamer (even if I do say so myself) and I would never be seen dead in trackies... -Shudder-

seamusotorain said:
He oddly looks like a Granbull o_O

Drakey

May 17, 2008
Wow! As if you dont get bombarded enough at work with these questions, you went out on a limb and did it on your own free time! Wow, you like your job! High five from me for that! EbGames-GameStop rocks and like it or not all these people fantasize about being there for 8 hours a day answering questions just like these! Tee Hee, it kinda cool cause its just Business in the end. :)

Um.. Keep up the good work, and watch out for confidentiality!

Edit: PS: I cant count the number of times people offer to work for free! I always wonder if the labour would be worth the money.

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
It's an old game you know, it's not like I did it over the course of a year or something.
Sorry, I forgot to add a little smiley face to let you know that I was jesting.

:)

There you go.

Captain_Maku said:
He oddly looks like a Granbull o_O
I though he looked more like Popeye...

Drakey said:
Um.. Keep up the good work, and watch out for confidentiality!

Edit: PS: I cant count the number of times people offer to work for free! I always wonder if the labour would be worth the money.
Crap! Confidentiality ninjas! *Flees*

Yeah, we should put them to work during the Christmas rush/stocktake. We'll see who want's to work for free then...