Confessions of a Game Shop Employee

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
As you may have guessed from the title, I'm offering myself up as a sacrificial lamb to those that dislike game shops like GameStop. Ask a question, and I shall do my very best to answer. Toodles!

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
madbird-valiant said:
Why is it that if I buy a game today, and trade it in next week, I get a quarter of what I paid for it?
Because it is a cruel and Draconian system. The fact that we then price it at the original price minus 5-10 euro seals the deal.

I believe the rationale behind it is that we have people stuck between a rock and a hard place. Unless they happen to know of some website called Ebuy or something like that.

S.H.A.R.P.

Mar 4, 2009
Are you a demon, and is the CEO of GameStop actually Satan?

But seriously, there seems to be quite some hate for your shop. In the way you buy/sell second hand games, and the use of new games. Do you think this hate, or strong dislike if you will, is justified?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
seamusotorain said:
Ask a question, and I shall do my very best to answer. Toodles!
Do you really have to sacriface a puppy to be accepted into the GameStop 'family'? ;)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Huh, somehow I read Games Work Shop.
I wanted to tell you that I find your prices unreasonable!
Now I can't...

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
When I worked in a games store many years ago I spent most of my time sitting on my ass playing games on our demo playstation to the extent that I stopped playing games for almost 10 years because I was so sick of games and gamers.

So here is my question:

Do you find that working in a games shop ever gives you the urge to make the next person to ask you how to get past level x in Tomb Raider or when Gran Tourismo 15 is coming out eat every single game CD/DVD in the shop while you beat them round the head with a playstation controller?

The Admiral

Jul 23, 2008
Why do you guys gut every single copy when you could just gut one for display and keep the rest behind the desk or in the back room and save a ton of crowded floor space. This is my biggest beef with Game Stop because I refuse to pay full price for tampered merchandise.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Many years ago I worked at an EB Games during the GameStop/EB Games merger.

madbird-valiant said:
Why is it that if I buy a game today, and trade it in next week, I get a quarter of what I paid for it?
Simple, they want to make money. A retail store has much higher overhead then Ebay or Craigslist. Rent, payroll, etc. The used system would also take a number of factors into account. That store could have had a great number of that game already brought back in. I seem to recall 'new' games getting around 80% of their value for the first few weeks when I was working though.

S.H.A.R.P. said:
But seriously, there seems to be quite some hate for your shop. In the way you buy/sell second hand games, and the use of new games. Do you think this hate, or strong dislike if you will, is justified?
I think most of it is justified, although I don't think some people see the whole picture.

konkwastaken said:
how often do you get whiny kids that can't buy games because they aren't old enough? :)
Plenty, even better one time we had a parent complain to us that she had to come into the mall so her kid could buy Halo 3.

scumofsociety said:
Do you find that working in a games shop ever gives you the urge to make the next person to ask you how to get past level x in Tomb Raider or when Gran Tourismo 15 is coming out eat every single game CD/DVD in the shop while you beat them round the head with a playstation controller?
I actually didn't mind the questions that much. We did have a few frequent people who would come in just to ask us repeated questions that could sometimes get annoying.

The Admiral said:
Why do you guys gut every single copy when you could just gut one for display and keep the rest behind the desk or in the back room and save a ton of crowded floor space. This is my biggest beef with Game Stop because I refuse to pay full price for tampered merchandise.
One copy would not be enough for someone to see. Someone who knows when a game is coming out is coming in regardless, the shelves are to promote impulse buying. So when Joe sees an entire wall of shiny Halo 3 boxes he is intrigued enough to buy them. So we would routinely gut at least 8 of anything new so that we could have a spread for the new release section. Sometimes we would give a slight discount for the gutted copies.

Jumping_Over_Fences

Apr 15, 2009
I was an assistant manager at Gamestop for a while and I do notice a lot of people having hate for the shop. However, one thing you need to realize is the fact that we are not in control of the procedures, it is all orders from corporate. Trust me, those people don't know anything about dealing with customers and we have to deal with them on a daily basis. If you think you hate Gamestop, trust me employees tend to hate the store even more.

I actually got so annoyed by the nerdy fan boy mentality of the customers I was turned off to video games while working there. That carried through for a few months after I quit too. Video game fan boys are the worst. They would get mad at me when I didn't love a game they loved, or when I had not played every single game in the damn store. And don't get me started on the Meth-heads trying to trade in their stolen games for a quick fix.

Sorry about that little rant, I just have to vent sometimes (I could go on for hours).

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
S.H.A.R.P. said:
Are you a demon, and is the CEO of GameStop actually Satan?

No, I'm an imp. I think it's very justified, but if you don't like the system, don't use it. As for the dealie with putting new boxes on the floor, I think it's retarded also, and have complained to anyone who will listen. Who are few.

konkwastaken said:
how often do you get whiny kids that can't buy games because they aren't old enough? :)
All the time, my friend. I've also been given out to by parents for asking their hellspawn to come and confirm that they are allowed have the game, and one lovely child came back three times asking different members of staff for GTA 4. Oh, how we laughed.

ElGringoBand1to said:
Do you have Battletoads?
No, the last shipment we had in killed several customers. Who we buried out in the desert.

Simriel said:
Do you liek Mudkipz?
(sorry, I just had too)
I prefer Charmander, actually. On a side note, I always get asked "How do I find *insert Pokemon name*?". Apparently working in a game shop makes you an encyclopedia of nerd knowledge.

Doug said:
Do you really have to sacrifice a puppy to be accepted into the GameStop 'family'? ;)
No, but if you do sacrifice a puppy, you get this cool set of acolyte robes. Very roomy.

Skeleon said:
Huh, somehow I read Games Work Shop.
I wanted to tell you that I find your prices unreasonable!
Now I can't...
I quit painting small plastic figures for that very same reason. I lost my virginity the same year. Result!

scumofsociety said:
No, but I've "fixed" countless Nintendogs ("Why won't my dog listen to me mommy?" "Because he doesn't love you, sweety"). I get annoyed with the people who want every console deal we have explained to them, and then say "Ok" and walk away.

The Admiral said:
Because then we wouldn't get people walking in and looking around (though who "browses" for a 60 euro purchase?). Though the idea of never having to put all the boxes back on the shelves, only for a rampaging 6-year-old to destroy the place, gives me a tingly feeling. They actually send us leaflets to put in dud boxes, but we never do it. Apparently buying dud boxes would cost too much.

Lios said:
How was your day?
Pretty good, but ask me again during the Christmas rush for a humourous answer.

Slycne said:
Many years ago I worked at an EB Games during the GameStop/EB Games merger.
Thanks for hi-jacking my thread, dingus. :)

Jumping_Over_Fences said:
I was an assistant manager at Gamestop for a while and I do notice a lot of people having hate for the shop. However, one thing you need to realize is the fact that we are not in control of the procedures, it is all orders from corporate. Trust me, those people don't know anything about dealing with customers and we have to deal with them on a daily basis. If you think you hate Gamestop, trust me employees tend to hate the store even more.

I actually got so annoyed by the nerdy fan boy mentality of the customers I was turned off to video games while working there. That carried through for a few months after I quit too. Video game fan boys are the worst. They would get mad at me when I didn't love a game they loved, or when I had not played every single game in the damn store. And don't get me started on the Meth-heads trying to trade in their stolen games for a quick fix.

Sorry about that little rant, I just have to vent sometimes (I could go on for hours).
+1

Man, when people ask for your opinion on a game you've never even heard of, and then sneer at you for not knowing what they're on about? I am comforted by the fact that I am kinda attractive *derp*, and know what a woman is.

We don't gte meth-heads, we get heroin addicts. One tried to hold the shop up with a dirty syringe, not noticing the Garda car outside. How we laughed *once the pee had been washed out of our clothing*

Jumping_Over_Fences

Apr 15, 2009
seamusotorain said:
Jumping_Over_Fences said:

+1

Man, when people ask for your opinion on a game you've never even heard of, and then sneer at you for not knowing what they're on about? I am comforted by the fact that I am kinda attractive *derp*, and know what a woman is.

We don't gte meth-heads, we get heroin addicts. One tried to hold the shop up with a dirty syringe, not noticing the Garda car outside. How we laughed *once the pee had been washed out of our clothing*
I was robbed by a jittery meth head with a shirt draped over his face and a sawed off shotgun pointed in my face. Very interesting situation especially because someone had already called the cops on him after he tried breaking into an ATM machine before he came into my store. By the time he was leaving (having only emptied one of our cash registers on a Tuesday morning, so you can imagine how much he got out of it) the cops were already driving into the parking lot because their station was literally right across the street. Then, I was yelled at by the district manager because I didn't want to open the store back up right away, I wanted to calm my other employees (including myself) down for about an hour. Needless to say, I did not like that job too much.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
How come your store managers are so anal? If they're working in a game store, shouldn't they b more laid back?