Conflict between Palestine and Israel escalates

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
In all likelihood we all are just one 'righteous cause' away from it really. Just our threshold for what we consider righteous differs.
I'd agree we generally might be close to mass murder, but genocide is somewhat different. Attacking an army, or a state, or an ideology, that's one thing, attacking an ethnicity is harder for many people to justify.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
I'd agree we generally might be close to mass murder, but genocide is somewhat different. Attacking an army, or a state, or an ideology, that's one thing, attacking an ethnicity is harder for many people to justify.
Isn't genocide expandable to any grouping, (furries, q-anon cultists, real estate agents, etc) or is it specifically applicable to ethnicity only?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Isn't genocide expandable to any grouping, (furries, q-anon cultists, real estate agents, etc) or is it specifically applicable to ethnicity only?
Google says ethnic group (or race or nation, which is the same thing (not nation-state, nation), but sometimes includes religion, which isn't). Of course, that's the ditionary definition, which is not necessarily how it works in the real world, but I've generally only heard it for ethnicities, myself.

I'd imagine *those* furries would include fursecution as genocide, but anyone who takes fursecution seriously isn't to be taken seriously. Not that I'm saying it's ok to hate on furries, but the hatred they get isn't comparable to the big hates, some of them just like dressing up like it is.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Google says ethnic group (or race or nation, which is the same thing (not nation-state, nation), but sometimes includes religion, which isn't). Of course, that's the ditionary definition, which is not necessarily how it works in the real world, but I've generally only heard it for ethnicities, myself.
Ethnicity is distinct from race; race implies "biology" (I use that term with caveats) where ethnicity means a cultural grouping (of which race may form a component). Ethnicity is thus closer to nation, the main difference perhaps being that "nation" tends to have strong political connotations, generally in terms of political autonomy/independence from other groups by fact or desire.

So for instance in Great Britain (excluding NI), the Scots are a nation, because they have a distinct political character in terms of statehood or political representation, whereas Irish British is an ethnicity.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ethnicity is distinct from race; race implies "biology" (I use that term with caveats) where ethnicity means a cultural grouping (of which race may form a component).
Not saying you're wrong, but do you have any examples of ethnicities where race isn't a component? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

It's like the Skokie march. except if it was in Germany in 1935.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
So now that Netanyahu is gone and a new, tolerant collation government is here, Israel is totally gone calm the fuck down and stop bombing civilians right? Right?

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So now that Netanyahu is gone and a new, tolerant collation government is here, Israel is totally gone calm the fuck down and stop bombing civilians right? Right?
Same way that Bush being gone meant the US would be out of Iraq et al.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Not saying you're wrong, but do you have any examples of ethnicities where race isn't a component? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
I would perhaps argue that (for instance) the ethnicity of Irish British, as few people would regard the Irish and British as separate races. One might consider ethnoreligious groups in the Middle East (e.g. the Copts or the Pontic Greeks prior to Turkey and Greece's population swap). Or in China, many of the ethnic groups are not meaningfully racial.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I would perhaps argue that (for instance) the ethnicity of Irish British, as few people would regard the Irish and British as separate races. One might consider ethnoreligious groups in the Middle East (e.g. the Copts or the Pontic Greeks prior to Turkey and Greece's population swap). Or in China, many of the ethnic groups are not meaningfully racial.
I thought race was more or less tied to the continent? Like we have India and Japan, both ethnic groups and countries sure, but both are Asian. That's the race. Mexico, Canada, US, we're all North Americans.
When someone moves and has a family in another continent, say an Indian moving to the US, their country of origin is still India, but now their children are Asian American, they're not British Asian or African Asian, the race changes based on the continent.