Console Troubles Wreck Square Enix's Profits

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
FFP2 said:
Shit just got real.

Do whatever the fans say. Make a HD FF7. Release Versus 13. Make KH3.

Save the innovation for when you can afford to have a hit-and-miss title.

I'm actually really worried about SE now.
Don't forget another game in the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross Series, Grandia IV, or Secret of Mana II

The problem is, what style any of these games would take. A FF13 style Chrono Break wouldn't sell.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Ukomba said:
Don't forget another game... ...Secret of Mana II
They made that in the 90s. Seiken Densetsu 3 never showed up here (legally).

That said... it was an awesome game.

The thing is, later mana games decided to do away with the parts of the formula that were really good, and never quite caught that feel.

You want an modern remake? Remake SD3. That game was the BOMB.

cidbahamut

Mar 1, 2010
Ukomba said:
FFP2 said:
Shit just got real.

Do whatever the fans say. Make a HD FF7. Release Versus 13. Make KH3.

Save the innovation for when you can afford to have a hit-and-miss title.

Don't forget another game in the Chrono Trigger / Chrono Cross Series, Grandia IV, or Secret of Mana II

The problem is, what style any of these games would take. A FF13 style Chrono Break wouldn't sell.
Am I the only person on the internet that would like to see Chrono Trigger continue slumbering undisturbed? The game was an absolute masterpiece, but adding anything more to it would be doing it a disservice. There was never a need to turn it into a franchise. It stood on its own above everything else to ever come out of Squaresoft.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
FFP2 said:
Yeah, me too. They're sitting on my favourite devs, Crystal Dynamics. I still keep the Legacy of Kain dream alive.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
DracoSuave said:
Ukomba said:

The thing is, later mana games decided to do away with the parts of the formula that were really good, and never quite caught that feel.

I liked a lot of what they did with SD3, but I never could get into it as much as SD2/Secret of Mana for some reason. I would really, really like an HD version of Legend of Mana though (which will never happen, and it will extra never happen on my PC).

It had some flaws as a game (but was still pretty fun), but it was absolutely gorgeous with all the watercolors and hand-drawn artwork, and the music was amazing too. The way the whole world came together and was influenced by so many different things and there were so many weird little interconnected game systems and stories was so neat to explore and play around with. It's just kind of a shame that it never really amounted to anything as a whole in the end. It's still my favorite of the series for the things that are unique about it.

I would be thrilled to see another game expand on what they did with that, especially in the art style it was done in. Sadly, the series went waaaaay downhill with everything that's come out since then, and I try to pretend most of the rest of them never happened.

Apr 5, 2008
It's simple Square Enix. Release Thief 4, and you will get my money.
And release a GOOD Hitman game...think Blood Money, only bigger, better and more of it. Then I'll give you more money. You see how this works? You make Absolution, yes you'll be in financial trouble. Make something good however, and you get money. Then your investors will be happy.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Oh sure, blame consoles and not your crappy moneygouging games (DX:HR, while great, was 2011). Final Fantasy: All the Bravest is breathtakingly bad and cynical.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Someone once posted on this site a piece of advice that I thought was hilarious and useful. I shall post it here now:

"It is time, Square Enix. Remake EVERYTHING!" And I must agree. ALL Final Fantasies, ALL Dragon Quests, ALL Kingdom Hearts. Let's also get Kingdom Hearts III out there too. Releasing a remade Final Fantasy VII (or apparently VI) would probably do huge things for their bottom line. Or maybe not. I'm not sure how all that would work out. Still, they should do it.

And get that Anniversary Final Fantasy Collection released over here in the U.S. too! Come on, I'm dying.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I don't get it.
Aren't they not getting versus 13 released because they can't stop jerking off over visuals and need to "put the consoles to their limit"?
How will a move to a platform with virtually no limit fix this?

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
DracoSuave said:
Ukomba said:

I had a friend back in the day who got his hands on a Japanese copy of SD3 and had a translator program. He let me borrow his system and game for a week.

It wasn't enough time to play that game. :'(

However, I say as long as you're proposing a SD3 remake, remake its predecessor and Secret of Evermore. OH, and the Final Fantasy Legend series from the GameBoy.

OT: Sqeenix has reaped what it has sown. So long as it continues to blame other things for its failures, this trend will continue until they ultimately collapse.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I really do feel bad about all this. SE may not be what they used to be (back when the S and the E were two different companies), but at least they've been publishing some quality titles recently. I do hope they get back on their feet. The future is looking somewhat worrisome.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Yes.

The console market.

Nothing to do with making godawful games for the past few years ¬_¬

Warning; may contain traces of opinion.
>.>

opinion? funny .... I thought you where stating a fact

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Step 1: Just fucking cancel production of 13 versus; there is no way you will be getting that money back at this point.

Step 2: Burn everything pertaining to 13 versus so that its shambling corpse cannot rise from the grave to haunt you in the future.

Step 3: Tell Testsuya to start earning his keep and get to work on KH3

Step 4: Release the KH final mix games in one giant grandaddy collection here in the states (a la God of War collection)

Step 5: ???

Step 6: Profit!

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
loa said:
I don't get it.
Aren't they not getting versus 13 released because they can't stop jerking off over visuals and need to "put the consoles to their limit"?
How will a move to a platform with virtually no limit fix this?
Because the limits aren't stopping you.
Say you want to make the most graphically impressive game up to this date. You could spend thousands of dollars and several months working on it on a console, cutting corners every step of the way and ending up with inferior graphics to what you wanted, with a lot of work done to make it run at even 30 FPS.
Or, you could use the so called limitless platform, get better results than you'd hoped for, and need to optimise it nowhere near as much as the platform will just brute force its way through it.
Its not reaching some limit that is the goal, its making a damn good looking game. The problem is that there's a limit in the way, and to make that great looking game they've got to push that limit as much as they can, rather than just making those great graphics without worrying about the limit.
Its like wanting to drive 50km, and you've got the option of thick mud and swamps, or a dirt track road. Which is easier to drive through?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I guess Lightning doesn't strike twice.
That pun was so bad I'm going to have to go maul an emu now...

OT: Honestly, the other day when No Right Answer did a show on "Which Franchise Needs To Die More?" I suggested that Sonic vs Final Fantasy would have been a better match-up than Sonic vs CoD. Yes yes, I know SquareEnix makes games other than Final Fantasy, but as an RPG fan I've gotta say it seems as though the glory days of the SquareEnix RPGs are long, LONG gone. They seem more intent on making breathtaking cinematics than building substantive plots with enjoyable gameplay. This is a second-hand opinion, just for full disclosure, as I gave up on Square after FF10 and haven't played one of their games since. Well, new games that is, I've still got an SNES with Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 2 and 3...now THOSE were some good RPGs.

I can't speak for the company at large, but if you ask me, FF7 was the beginnin of the downward spiral of the series. It was good, I just don't think it's god's gift to gaming like a lot of people do. FF8 was crap, FF9 was crappier (That's right, I said it!), FF10 as average until you get to the main boss and discover that the only way to lose the fight is if you literally kill off your own party...twice. And then FF10-2 was just insulting. That's when it was time for me to wave bye-bye to FF and by extension SquareEnix.