Conspiracy Theories You Find Kind Of...Funny?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh, the Roswell cover-up. Cause there really was a Roswell cover-up, only it was about the (then) high tech surveillance program to see if the Soviets had The Bomb. 2 years later the Soviets did and they told everyone anyway.

A bit meta, but "apparently" the KGB would egg conspiracy theorists on, in the hopes they'd discredit the US government. Which is exactly the sort of thing the KGB had the resources and inclination to do, so dunno if it counts.

And then there the "evil conspiracy" to have the US, Canada and Mexico adopt the same currency, the Amero or somesuch, like the Euro. I bet the conspirators that work with the space lizards make fun of those people.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Igor-Rowan said:
In the 80's/90's (I can't remember) there was an arcade machine called Polybius that was involved into mind-controlling experiments, with men in black suits handling them.

The probable explanation is that the machine was giving the kids seizures, so they took them away and got rid of them to not be sued because of the sick kids.
I think Polybius better qualifies as an urban legend than a conspiracy theory.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
Asita said:
The existance of Polybius is the urban legend, the link to the government and mind control is the conspiracy theory, however you put it, it's kind of laughable using colors and basic shapes to hypnotize people.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
pookie101 said:
lionsprey said:
That Finland doesn't exist and all Finish citys are actually just on the east part of Sweden
i only found out about that the other day and it still makes me scratch my head
This is all true. We also made up our language purely to confuse foreigners. Kek? t?llai puhus muute h?h?

EDIT: Escapist doesn't recognize umlauts, CONSPIRACY

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
I'd find more of them funny if I didn't have a mother that believed in 90% of them and blasts them on speakers daily. She's still talking about Pizza/Pedogate.

So I guess the ones I find funny are the only two she [probably] doesn't believe in, Flat Earth and Lizard Men.
The rest just remind me of what I have to live with.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
People can easily believe the silliest of things - it helps to keep a healthy dose of skepticism about every story. Unfortunately there's a wide area there between black and white and sometimes people will swing wildly about believing every story they hear/read (Bill Gates is going to send you $100 if you'll post this on FB) or disbelieving stories and explanations (Flat Earth, 9-11, Moon Landing). Though I think the believer comes around when presented with evidence that debunks their belief, the skeptic refuses to accept truth and will hold to their own belief.

Sometimes the truth is hard to accept - that one in a million chance of something happening and you witness it and can't believe it. I wish I could give some examples but there are numerous YouTube videos of someone catching something (both real and faked, unfortunately) that's just too unbelievable.

Igor-Rowan said:
In the 80's/90's (I can't remember) there was an arcade machine called Polybius that was involved into mind-controlling experiments, with men in black suits handling them.
Here's a good story similar to the Polybius game:

CyanCat47 said:
*Goes back to terminating threats to the establishment 100110111101*
Vaccines didn't save your life! You're speaking computer code and you were obviously programmed to believe that.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I remember hearing one on...I think it was a podcast called Skeptoid, but I could be remembering wrong:

9/11 was an inside job, and the thing with the planes was done, roughly as follows. Secret government stealth planes, tracked the regular passenger planes, and at a pre-appointed time, signaled a set of identical jets, but filled with explosives, not people. Those planes, somehow took off and replaced the planes with people, which were diverted by the stealth jets, to some other location, where everyone was summarily executed and disposed of. This was pulled off, by an impressive number of people, all of which have kept perfect, 100% silence about their involvement, even though this would take the cooperation of thousands of people in the government, and is somehow perfectly covered. Yet other, more mundane scandals are blown almost immediately in other areas of the government.

That and the lizard people one.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silvanus said:
I find moon landing conspiracy theories quite inherently funny.
Yeah, that came to mind immediately. Especially since the entire thing seems to hinge on the idea that despite going through the trouble of researching, developing, building and testing all the equipment to land the moon, NASA apparently decided to just skip the final step of actually going to the moon. Because something something radiation belts aliens black helicopters chemtrails.

Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that the Moon Program also had R&D benefits for ICBM development(The Titan missle was used to put the Gemini into space and was also a nuclear warhead delivery system for at least a decade) but the Saturn V is inherently overpowered and unsuited for Nuclear weapons delivery so the question remains "Why bother building the Saturn V if you aren't actually gonna do a moon landing?" Especially considering there were plans to use a modified Titan-Gemini system for the moon landing before they decided to build a specialized launch vehicle.

Then there's the whole bit about getting everyone at NASA to keep quiet about the whole thing and somehow keeping the Soviets(who weren't exactly our friends) from screaming about Western lies as loud as they could if it was faked.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Every single one from Dr. Axel Stoll RIP.
The man was a national treasure.
To summarise what he believes in:
The earth is hollow.
The sun is cold.
Nikola Tesla and the Nazis visited Pluto. And they only needed 5 hours.
THIS IS NOT SCIENCE FICTION!
Oh and he has the ability to transmute Lead into Gold. But who doesn't?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Ancient aliens. Has to be ancient aliens. Mainly because it leads to the other awesome conspiracy theory of interdimensional demons and underground Reptilians.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
What baffles me about flat earth is the reason for it. What would be the purpouse of convincing the population that the earth is round? Who benefits from this? I always hear NASA profits from it, but never how.

Oct 22, 2011
Reptilians, mole people(sinkholes?), Ancient AliensAstronauts
GrumbleGrump said:
What baffles me about flat earth is the reason for it. What would be the purpouse of convincing the population that the earth is round? Who benefits from this? I always hear NASA profits from it, but never how.
Globe producers, obviously.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Ancient aliens. Has to be ancient aliens. Mainly because it leads to the other awesome conspiracy theory of interdimensional demons and underground Reptilians.
Well, it has to be true, because people thousands of years ago couldn't possibly have figured out how to build structures which involve putting stones on top of each other with a large base that narrows to a point(Pyramids). Nope, must have been aliens.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Dalisclock said:
SmugFrog said:
Vaccines didn't save your life! You're speaking computer code and you were obviously programmed to believe that.
Vaccines can't melt steel beams!
SJWs can though o.0

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Buffoon1980 said:
Honestly? I don't find any of them funny. I find them disturbing - symptoms of a society that is increasingly disconnected from reality and utterly unable to separate fact from fiction. Maybe I'm being alarmist (I sure hope I am), but... I don't know. There's now a conspiracy theorist in the White House, and one of the major possible impacts of his delusion could be a massive reduction in mankind's efforts to counter global warming.
I'm inclined to agree with this. Some of them seem more or less harmless, but pretty much all of them require that someone ignore basic logic. And that can't be healthy. I know someone who's pretty sold on "chemtrails." For a living... he BUILDS AIRPLANES. He is a machinist who builds parts for large commercial jet airliners... and he believes that airplanes don't have exhaust that condensation forms around (you know, like what can happen at ground level to CARS.) Instead the trails in the sky are (they are always unclear on the why aren't they) mind control gas, weather control stuff, vaccines, whatever it is.

And the government cover-up claims. The U.S. government, if not right at the top of the most powerful governments in the world... can't cover up jack. Everything they've ever tried to cover up gets exposed. We're talking about a group of idiots who can't balance a budget, a skill I learned at 14. Using math I learned in elementary school. And they are orchestrating moon landing hoaxes and huge false flag operations... Sure they are.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
Well, it has to be true, because people thousands of years ago couldn't possibly have figured out how to build structures which involve putting stones on top of each other with a large base that narrows to a point(Pyramids). Nope, must have been aliens.
Oh yeah... If the best buildings aliens have is square footed, triangular prism-esque structures I think we have more to give to them than they do to us.

"We will give you the secrets to faster than light travel..."

"Um.... we could teach you to build with ideas towards proper load bearing internal supports, to create structures that maximise utility, increase usable space, and reduce land usage...?"

"What architectural magic is this!?"

Basically... if the pyramids are proof of alien intervention, it means aliens are 4 channers looking for intergalactic kek. And I think we all know that would involve leaving their mother's basement, and that's a commitment they aren't willing to make.

-----

Don't forget about ancient alien nuclear warfare against humans on the Indian subcontinent and prehistoric human flight w/ alien tech! :]

Ancient alien conspiracy theories are awesome.

Jei-chan

Inquisitor-Hierarch
Apr 18, 2011
My favourite conspiracy theory may not even have left my state/city because I haven't seen it anywhere else on the internet (I mean I could google, but. effort). Apparently because Firefly had the most realistic sound effects vis-?-vis there being no sound in space, it was all real (presumably people in country Australia bought this back in the day because Nathan Fillion wasn't really a household name here, and still probably isn't.) Even though the show does have SOME sound effects in space, and Serenity definitely had them.

You can't dissuade people from a good idea, I suppose.