Context Sensitive: Playing the MMMMG

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Context Sensitive: Playing the MMMMG

It was supposed to be a simple trip to DisneyWorld, but it became a quest for epic loot.

Read Full Article

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
I can't believe you actually refer to Disneyworld employees as "cast members." Are you just completely lost in their corporate buzzwords?

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
Wow. Disney are even smarter than I thought. Glad I don't plan to go to Disneyworld soon - I'd just get sucked in.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
not a zaar said:
I can't believe you actually refer to Disneyworld employees as "cast members." Are you just completely lost in their corporate buzzwords?
Most likely she isn't using the corp-buzzwords, she's using her own. The employees represent trade NPCs, part of the cast of the quest she was on. Completely correct usage of the word in my opinion. =)

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
darthmath said:
not a zaar said:
I've been to Disney world twice in my lifetime so i can tell you with a fair amount of certainty that his terminology is quite appropriate. most of the Disney employees walk around wearing costumes of the many Disney characters who are all part of the vast Disney cast. when he says cast members, he means an employee dressed up like Minny mouse.

i have never even heard of this pin collecting thing though.
Nope she means cast members for all of the staff, not just the ones dressed up like a character. Which by the way you will never see out of costume or hear them talk.

Cast member is indeed the term used by Disney for its park staff.

According to Hiddenmikeys.org [http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/secrets/cms.html] "Not all the people who work for Disney are called Cast Members. Film crews are called employees because of the confusion it would cause to call members of the film or TV show's cast Cast Members AND the crew Cast Members. Only people who work for Disney Theme Parks & Shops are called Cast Members."

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I'm going to Disney in a few days, but I went last year, and my lanyard is pretty much covered in pins. I care more about the rides (I am going on that "Aerosmith ride" by the way), but collecting stuff is always fun, even if it costs an exorbitant amount.

Nov 5, 2007
That also makes me think of Pokemon. And God knows Pokemon made money so I guess it's a really smart move from Disney.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
great piece of writing susan, i really liked it. disney may be slightly evil, but that story was awesome. thanks for that.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
level250geek said:
But you did complete the Tier 6 Donald Duck set?
Sadly, no. I completed just about all of the sidequests, but I failed to make any progress in the Main Story. I thought about buying the pins from online sources -- there are many -- but that smacked of goldfarming to me.

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
So for the first time in my life, I want to visit Disney World. Cynicism and hatred of Disney movies aside, this very much sounds like the sort of thing that I would become addicted to.

Clashero

Aug 15, 2008
My sister has 3 Donald pins from her visit to Disney World with me. I'll probably PM you a picture of her lanyard and see if anything catches your fancy.

Also: the Aerosmith ride kicks serious ass. I rode that thing at least 20 times, and I still couldn't get enough of Steven's "THREE! TWO! ONE! YAAAHHHHHHH!"

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Thanks, Susan, for bringing a smile on my lip, on an otherwise dull and gray day.

I caught myself laughing out loud, several times. 'Twas enjoyed.

One in particular, was when you first referred to a pin as low leveled.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
level250geek said:
Sadly, no. I completed just about all of the sidequests, but I failed to make any progress in the Main Story. I thought about buying the pins from online sources -- there are many -- but that smacked of goldfarming to me.
Wait...you mean there was actually a zombie Mickey and pirate Mickey?

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
This is an awesome article and it gives me hope that I will have something else to do at Disney World besides wait while my friends are in line for various rides. (I get really bad motion sickness) ...And Zombie Mickey, liek ZOMG!!

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
If my parents played video games, this is the story they would have told. They go to Disney every year and they have tons of these things. There's a display case hanging up in the basement with all their rarest finds and they put them in books and... ah it's so crazy! And yet I understand the compulsion to collect all too well. So many games, so many items, so little time.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
WrongSprite said:
Susan Arendt said:
level250geek said:
Wait...you mean there was actually a zombie Mickey and pirate Mickey?
Yes, indeedy. Top two on the left hand side of the lanyard as pictured. :) I can post close ups if you like.

fnph

Oct 13, 2007
I've got 2 lanyards full of pins from trips to Disney World, including an Indiana Jones set of 4 and a rather fetching golden Mickey and Minnie pair. I've also got a version of Mickey and Minnie that are only sold in Disney Land Paris that blew the cast members' minds.
I never knew they were ranked according to rarity though, I'm very tempted to go check how many of mine are rare now.