Context Sensitive: Who Is the PS3 For?

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Jesus christ, we're back to 2006 when game journalists are all fucking idiots who couldn't understand what "playstation 3" is. PS3 is not an alien. It's not some weird gelatinous goo that oozes out of your rectum every time you attempt to breathe out. Everyone has been using the PS3 for a while now, if the experts still can't understand what the PS3 is, then they're not experts are they.

PS3 is a machine. It has transisters and silicon. It is a home entertainment center that focuses mainly on games. I seriously don't see what the problem is when a company wants to provide a unified platform that offers many services. Why are people still going "omg, I don't know what to do with my PS3, what is it?"

Seriously, if doing 5 function confuses you, how the hell did you even get on the Internet. PCs are obviously WAY too complicated for you.

Yes, PS3 is going the Wii route. It has motion controls now that actually works. I don't remember hearing how Activision is losing its "identity" when it's introducing a game with a guitar controller, "is it a game or a music simulation or a guitar?" Nobody complained when Nintendo announced MadWorld or Manhunt, "is the Wii a children's favorite chew toy, a $250 paper weight, a Mario machine, or a killing simulator?"

I mean, if you still get confused about the ps3 right now, please do us a favor and take yourself behind a shed old-yeller style.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This whole Playstation Move does feel like a heap of unwanted flaccid spaghetti.

Instead of Sony showing the people the good stuff like GoW 3 and The Last Guardian, they'll waste their time waving this in everybodies faces.
Let's just hope that Move and the hardcore games can live side by side in piece and harmony like the Eyetoy and the PS2 back in the day.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
mrx19869 said:
does anybody know if this "Susan Arendt" the author of this post owns a PS3, and if so what model?
She does. Not sure if she's said what model, I assume a 60GB.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
Thats probably the case in the states, but no-one buys a 360 in Japan, and here in the UK all my friends have PS3s. And I don't think their target market is any different to the 360, they practically have the same base of games, and are now doing the same thing with the motion control thing.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
mrx19869 said:
does anybody know if this "Susan Arendt" the author of this post owns a PS3, and if so what model?
Yes, I do, an original launch model. Ah, sweet, sweet BC....

Also, I don't quite understand why people think I am confused about a PS3's capabilities. I also state quite clearly that I think the PS3 is a great machine, and simply wish that Sony would do it justice by crafting a clear message for it.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
People who like to play PS3 games. And blurays.

Look, stop trying to make gaming into motorcycle riding. There are no hell's angels and rice rocket drivers here. We're all the same, only some of us bought xbox360, some of us have PS3s and some of us have both (and if the numbers are any indication we all have Wiis).

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
What's not to love about a console that is so streamlined that it not only produces games with native High-def, but also comes with the capability to be the centerpiece of anyone's home entertainment? I don't see them pandering to those with a casual interest, I see them with a desire to bring more people into the knowledge that it really might just do everything; everything in regards to electronic home entertainment, that is. That Sony is reaching out to others isn't a sign of indecision, it's a sign of strengthening the ground on which they stand. If they really plan on it having a ten year life span, then it's gonna need something more than just the hardcore gamers. It's undeniably one of the best value Blu-Ray players on the market, and the entertainment value of the games that it gains over time is, if not increasing, at least remaining steady. Free online services means it has a leg up on Microsoft in that department, and with an actual interface for people to hang around in, it's standing over the Wii.

In that regard, they are in a unique position to do something never before witnessed. Imagine this, if you will: an exercise class, taught from the comfort of your own home, where you can actively see your instructor doing the exercises, on the TV, from their living room, while you do your stretches and whatnot from the comfort of yours, via wireless telecommunications with voice chat, image recording, and image transmission. Couple that kind of instantaneous interactivity with an already highly dedicated fanbase of gamers, and you're looking at the same strategy Nintendo used to make the Wii what it is today--start low, getting more people actively using the console, then introduce them to things slightly more game-like, let them get a taste for the addiction, then let it build, by giving them screenshots of awards and "well done!"s. This will lead them to some of the other games, whereupon you just built a new base.

Are they abandoning we the gamers? Not in the slightest, they're giving us more to work with. There might be a slight lull in the influx and quality of games, similar to what we saw with Nintendo, but Nintendo does most of it's work in-house, or handed down to a trusted company that still calls Nintendo its parent company. Sony has a good relationship with a few 3rd party developers, all of whom can keep the games supply steady while Sony plays with a little bit of innovation and foundation building. And that's not even mentioning the Sony-Panasonic collaboration to make the new 33.4 GB, possibly-dual-layered, super-discs (I believe that's correct) on which to fancifully delight all our sensory organs.

I've said for some time that what the Wii really needs to maintain its 'gaming' basis is to come up with a controller, or at least a consistent control scheme that doesn't involve motion sensors. Sony has that, in both the six-axis and Dualshock variety, both of which can easily compensate for any kind of unnecessary twitching. Considering all that, the PS3, while it might be reaching out to more people, is not abandoning us--we're still the center of it's attention, but now it's looking for a few more people to invite to the party with us.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
SaintWaldo said:
Because:

A.) Natal at least had something we could call it by; PSN motion controller did not, it was interesting to muse about.

B.) The Xbox 360 has never had an identity crisis quite like that of the PS3.

C.) Natal at least *looks* different from the Wiimote. Meanwhile, the difference in advertising here [http://www.gamesradar.com/f/quiz-wiimote-or-playstation-move/a-2010031018145354069]...?

D.) Take. The fanboy blinders. Off. And while you're at it, take the tinfoil hat off, too. You're taking this way too personally, dude.

Every single one of us on the Editorial staff here in the Escapist offices bought a PS3 with their own hard cash. We wouldn't have done this if we didn't think the machine was pretty cool in a lot of ways. You're an idiot if you think we're all members of a global conspiracy dedicated to undermine Sony.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
SaintWaldo said:
You seem to be taking this rather personally, and you really shouldn't.
You seem to be assigning degrees to my thoughts, and you really shouldn't. Refute my argument or don't, but please don't assign emotion to a rational discussion.

In fact, one might point out that claiming a speaker is emotional (or "taking this personally") is a way of deflecting an otherwise valid line of argument for which one can't find a suitable defense. I'm completely dispassionate and have yet to see any words to dispute my points.

I'm sure you only meant to ask if I was emotional, and not attempt to dismiss or color my comment. I'm not.

mrx19869

Jun 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
mrx19869 said:
Yes, I do, an original launch model. Ah, sweet, sweet BC....
I find that you (and Sony's marketing) forget to mention other great features the PS3 has going for it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
The PS3 reminds me of my cousin when I was growing up. No matter what my sisters and brothers had to eat or were playing with, he had to have what they had. And boy did he throw a tantrum if he didnt get what he wanted.

So I guess the analogy is; Sony is a little kid who doesnt know what he wants, but screams if someone has something "better" than him.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
mrx19869 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Random Bobcat said:
A well informed counter statement to a poor article is "taking it personally"?
Nope, but an angry rant about a good article is.
but this isnt a good article...
If you say so, but your comments about the Wii earlier suggest that you're less than objective.