Controversial Designer Matt Ward Leaves Games Workshop

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
NWJ94 said:
PunkRex said:
Was his fluff really that bad? I stopped playing 40K years ago but what I saw of his work didn't seem to different from the old stuff. His codex's, on the other hand, seemed to focus less on armies the player actually invented and more on larger forces so maybe this is a good move.

I remember when a 2000 point army was lucky to squeeze TWO tanks or large creatures in, and the units were considered big if they exceeded 15 men *waggles cane*.
Wait this is no longer true? Oh my God I feel old...

As for Ward, I guess I missed most of his controversy. But I don't really recall his fluff being so drastically different. That said I stopped playing before Ultra Marines were updated.
His fluff includes Grey Knights butchering Sisters Of Battle and using their blood to shield their already shielded minds and bodies against a Khorne daemon, also turning the Space Marines codex into a brag about how Ultramarines are the absolute best, Calgar killing an Avatar and an Eldar warhost, Sicarus and Robute Guilman being every space marine chapter's 'Spiritual Liege' then going through the list of 'other chapters' with descriptions all centered around how they aren't like the Ultramarines and are therefore worse.

Oh right and he created Kaldor Draigo, look him up and facepalm at the pure Marty Stu.

Those are just the tip of his awful fluff...

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
vallorn said:
NWJ94 said:
PunkRex said:
Was his fluff really that bad? I stopped playing 40K years ago but what I saw of his work didn't seem to different from the old stuff. His codex's, on the other hand, seemed to focus less on armies the player actually invented and more on larger forces so maybe this is a good move.

I remember when a 2000 point army was lucky to squeeze TWO tanks or large creatures in, and the units were considered big if they exceeded 15 men *waggles cane*.

As for Ward, I guess I missed most of his controversy. But I don't really recall his fluff being so drastically different. That said I stopped playing before Ultra Marines were updated.
His fluff includes Grey Knights butchering Sisters Of Battle and using their blood to shield their already shielded minds and bodies against a Khorne daemon, also turning the Space Marines codex into a brag about how Ultramarines are the absolute best, Calgar killing an Avatar and an Eldar warhost, Sicarus and Robute Guilman being every space marine chapter's 'Spiritual Liege' then going through the list of 'other chapters' with descriptions all centered around how they aren't like the Ultramarines and are therefore worse.

Oh right and he created Kaldor Draigo, look him up and facepalm at the pure Marty Stu.

That's not the tip of his fluff, that's almost the entirety of it. While I don't like Ward, he has also made some good fluff, but nobody really remembers it, like the newer Sisters of Battle for example.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Warachia said:
vallorn said:
NWJ94 said:
PunkRex said:

That's not the tip of his fluff, that's almost the entirety of it. While I don't like Ward, he has also made some good fluff, but nobody really remembers it, like the newer Sisters of Battle for example.
I agree, I love the revamping of Necrons from mechanical tyranids to mustache-twirling evil guys.
However, in every good thing that he does, he hides several huge fuckups. I mean, in this codex, you have at least the following bullshit: the Necrons have a machine which can make ANY STAR ANYWHERE go supernova. He heavily implied that the Machine God is a C'Than. The bullshit about C'Than wanting them to give up their bodies so they could eat their souls. Why do they have a guy with a fucking time travelling device? Furthermore, there are some pieces of crunch in there which are, frankly, stupid, considering he was also working on 6e at the same time as the Necron Codex. They knew about hull points, so why change Gauss weapons to do glancing hits on 6es, making Necrons quite OP against vehicles, especially when also Considering Scarabs?. Why are Flayers in the Elite slot, instead of the core slot where they belong? Why Mind Shackle Scarabs? Why is there another 'ultimate strategist' in one of his codices, with the most stupid special rule ever?

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
Praise the Emperor for expunging the heretic.

Now all GW has to do is to pull their heads out of their collective asses and stop overpricing all the tabletop models and codexes to a ridiculous degree. I don't even play the game, but I know it's the driving force behind the franchise. I'd hate to see the IP wither and die because nobody can afford it anymore.

This fail needs to be opened full screen to fully comprehend.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
The High Lords of Terra and the four Chaos gods share a common joy on this day

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Warachia said:
vallorn said:
NWJ94 said:
PunkRex said:

I agree, I love the revamping of Necrons from mechanical tyranids to mustache-twirling evil guys.
However, in every good thing that he does, he hides several huge fuckups. I mean, in this codex, you have at least the following bullshit: the Necrons have a machine which can make ANY STAR ANYWHERE go supernova. He heavily implied that the Machine God is a C'Than. The bullshit about C'Than wanting them to give up their bodies so they could eat their souls. Why do they have a guy with a fucking time travelling device? Furthermore, there are some pieces of crunch in there which are, frankly, stupid, considering he was also working on 6e at the same time as the Necron Codex. They knew about hull points, so why change Gauss weapons to do glancing hits on 6es, making Necrons quite OP against vehicles, especially when also Considering Scarabs?. Why are Flayers in the Elite slot, instead of the core slot where they belong? Why Mind Shackle Scarabs? Why is there another 'ultimate strategist' in one of his codices, with the most stupid special rule ever?
The Celestial Orrery is a bit OP I agree, bit I find that's a minor thing and less OP than them having instant transfer anywhere in the galaxy they wanted (which was one of the things I was happy he removed), the Machine God IS a C'tan (confirmed in the novel Mechanicus I think it was called), and was heavily implied to be one well before Ward arrived.
The C'tan DID want them to give up their bodies so they could eat their souls, that's in the old rulebook, it's not new, and in the old rulebook that was the entire reason the Necrons ever attacked anybody, to harvest more souls.
They have a guy with a time traveling device because that's also not new, there were time traveling devices in 40K before this and they wanted an explanation for where they came from.
6th edition was heavily re-written multiple times, I'm not sure how much he intended to go into it was actually carried over. Flayers are not core because no rational Necron Lord would rely on them or let them mingle with his own troops. Mind shackle scarabs are there because Necrons have next to no hard counter for monstrous creatures, and who is that other 'Ultimate strategist?' I assume you're talking about Zahndrek, in which case it's because he's a Nemesor, they're all supposed to be the best and brightest military minds, but I can't think of any rules he has that are stupid.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Warachia said:
The Celestial Orrery is a bit OP I agree, bit I find that's a minor thing and less OP than them having instant transfer anywhere in the galaxy they wanted (which was one of the things I was happy he removed), the Machine God IS a C'tan (confirmed in the novel Mechanicus I think it was called), and was heavily implied to be one well before Ward arrived.
The C'tan DID want them to give up their bodies so they could eat their souls, that's in the old rulebook, it's not new, and in the old rulebook that was the entire reason the Necrons ever attacked anybody, to harvest more souls.

Fair enough. I'm not intimately familiar with old lore enough to argue this with you.

They have a guy with a time traveling device because that's also not new, there were time traveling devices in 40K before this and they wanted an explanation for where they came from.
It's not just that he has a time travelling device, but also that the guy in question uses it in a really stupid way: he just uses it to make sure his 'predictions' are correct.

6th edition was heavily re-written multiple times, I'm not sure how much he intended to go into it was actually carried over.
I don't know. I cannot believe that a codex being written at the same time as a new codex, as the last batch of a nearly outdated edition, written by the same guy as the one writing the new core book would not future proof it. They did so with the Skaven 7th book as well, with many rules in there being highly similar to stuff now in 8th edition, or at least primed to make advantage of it.

Flayers are not core because no rational Necron Lord would rely on them or let them mingle with his own troops.
But you also have Destroyer Lords, which are insane enough to do so. But it's also from a crunch perspective: the two core choices the Necrons have are very similar, and they would've benefited from something a bit different.

Mind shackle scarabs are there because Necrons have next to no hard counter for monstrous creatures,
I'd say that War Scythes are also very good choices as a counter to monstrous creatures. I'll give you that it's not enough, but the issue is that MSS are too cheap for what they do. They must've playtested this and have seen that against many things, they're just too ridiculous.

and who is that other 'Ultimate strategist?' I assume you're talking about Zahndrek, in which case it's because he's a Nemesor, they're all supposed to be the best and brightest military minds, but I can't think of any rules he has that are stupid.
I was talking about the Stormlord, with his higher probability to Seize the Initiative, except against Orks, which are so lolrandumb that he can't even try to Seize the Initiative.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Alleged_Alec said:
Warachia said:
It's not just that he has a time travelling device, but also that the guy in question uses it in a really stupid way: he just uses it to make sure his 'predictions' are correct.
Yes, and his predictions have to be correct for him to gain whatever power he's after, he's not just making random predictions, he's altering events to make sure they lead to him gaining power equal to the C'tan shards (as said in the lore and can be seen in his upgraded statline, which is the same as a C'tan shard).
There's an interesting theory I read where somebody speculated Orikan was actually a C'tan shard himself, but isn't lobotomized like most of them (saying he either escaped or broke free) and that he represents the aspect of time, which is why he wants people to think he's just an astromancer, and why his time travel is far superior to other Crypteks (because he's not the only one who can do it, he's just the best).

I don't know. I cannot believe that a codex being written at the same time as a new codex, as the last batch of a nearly outdated edition, written by the same guy as the one writing the new core book would not future proof it. They did so with the Skaven 7th book as well, with many rules in there being highly similar to stuff now in 8th edition, or at least primed to make advantage of it.
It was not written at the same time, it was written with some of 6th edition's ideas in mind. Big difference, some things carried over just fine, like the chariot, and some things did not, like weapon types and special rules.

But you also have Destroyer Lords, which are insane enough to do so. But it's also from a crunch perspective: the two core choices the Necrons have are very similar, and they would've benefited from something a bit different.
The big difference is that the Destroyer Lords are not contagious, the Flayed Ones are. Any lord crazy enough to use them a lot would become like them soon enough.

Mind shackle scarabs are there because Necrons have next to no hard counter for monstrous creatures,
I'd say that War Scythes are also very good choices as a counter to monstrous creatures. I'll give you that it's not enough, but the issue is that MSS are too cheap for what they do. They must've playtested this and have seen that against many things, they're just too ridiculous.
I agree that MSS are too cheap points wise, though they were made in an edition where it was very easy to completely avoid the character or creature ever coming into contact with them, because that was before challenges made them broken.
Warscythes are not a good MC defence, you need to get into combat against a MC to begin with, it'll have higher strength, more wounds, and more attacks, so you're almost always going to lose.
This is one of those things I think wasn't meant for 6th edition, given how easy it was to avoid having characters bump into each other before, Monstrous Creatures were the only thing it could semi-consistently work on without costing too much.
and who is that other 'Ultimate strategist?' I assume you're talking about Zahndrek, in which case it's because he's a Nemesor, they're all supposed to be the best and brightest military minds, but I can't think of any rules he has that are stupid.
I was talking about the Stormlord, with his higher probability to Seize the Initiative, except against Orks, which are so lolrandumb that he can't even try to Seize the Initiative.
The Stormlord's not an ultimate strategist, the codex overplays his abilities a bit (grand strategist is also very different), he knows how to use his troops really effectively and he knows how to completely dismantle the enemy, but once he makes his several stage plans on how to do both he's completely unable to adapt to anything that changes partially because he's too prideful to think that it can go wrong, and partially because he thinks he knows exactly how his opponents will act, most of his strategies are guesswork based on what he knows about his forces and the enemy he's up against. This is why he's unable to win any major victory at all against the Orks (whereas others like Zahndrekh don't have an issue with them). When he understands the enemy well you get events like his army vs the Black Templars, where he beat them and cut off Helbrecht's hand, and when he gets them wrong thanks to them changing what they normally do (because if there's one thing they aren't it's stupid) he got his flagship blown up.

Maybe that's the reason I don't mind when the book portrays the Stormlord in a positive light, unlike Zahndrekh his track record is less than stellar, when he goes to war, he usually hits fast and hard, but he's made several mistakes that took a while to recover from.