Convince Me That I'm Wrong About RPGs

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
Blaster395 said:
You should really take a look at Fallout:NV, while there are certainly some builds that work better than others, absolutely anything, even unarmed or a Charisma based character, can be deadly with the right perks.
Why is it that all of the games recommended to me are the ones just out of my reach? My computer's processor can't handle NV, and I'm NOT playing it on a console. I can't aim at all with a controller.

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
TerranReaper said:
Khaun said:
bussinrounds said:
Your overthinking it. If you enjoy the game , play it and have fun. I would stay away from the competitive online crap though if i were you. Play a story driven rpg like the Baldurs Gates or Planescape:Torment. Get lost in these worlds without interference from online trash.

Fuck what those mmo turds have to say !!
This most MMO's are full of people obessed with stats and digits they forget its a game desgined for fun screw them enjoy your self as thats what games are made for.
Yes, because anyone that wants to win and play competitively automatically forget how to play for fun. Are you really going to generalize on people that want to make optimal builds?
Generally... yes, because the over ruling idea is to win not just for fun winning trumps fun in there eyes they arnt the same thing so how can they want both ? Its a different type of fun i guess but its the problem most MMO's iv played people like that have ruined it for me maybe iam bitter.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
You play a role. If those specific roles are defined by a specific set of skills commonly used/benefit you or others the most, you are role playing. In a game. RPG.

"Best" builds that this so-called simulator liked are probably better than the one you were using, but it doesn't detract from the fact that your current one was doing fine for you. In a team, some may want you to change, and the more stupid players will ONLY want you to use the simulated build, but fuck those guys - They're the same kind of people who ONLY use what's on PvXWiki for GuildWars because they can't think for themselves.

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
I can honestly say that those people you're talking to are taking those games way too seriously.

For God's sake, it's a game. People can do whatever the fuck they want to in a game, within the limitations of the programming. You should not feel ashamed because your build was not ideal. Sure, maybe if you made the game a bit hard because you made some bad decisions for skills then yeah, you made a mistake. That sucks, but it's a game. You shouldn't have to go and restart a game just because you did something different. I've noticed this a lot. I used to play Diablo II a bunch, and I realized that my build for a Barbarian character was, in some ways, the exact opposite of what I should have done.

But you know what, I still enjoyed the game, even after I realized that my build wasn't "good". I beat it, I had a lot of fun, so I really didn't go wrong when you think about it. I played the game because it was supposed to be fun. I had fun, so there was nothing wrong with how I played it.

My advice, don't worry about that too much. If you think you want to get into it again but don't want to be bothered by haters, maybe read up on some builds before you go. But as long as the game is still fun, well, mission accomplished.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Many people have this idea that you have to do everything exactly in X way to be good at something, these people are morons.

I am living proof that doing things differently can have unexpected and brilliant results, for instance I played a Warrior tank on WoW even in PvP, this choice left me unable to do huge damage but perfectly able to harrass the opposing forces back lines enough to assist my team yet I still got called a noob because I had plenty of deaths and a small kill count.

I say you play games however the hell you want and screw what anybody else says so long as you're enjoying yourself.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
WildSeraph said:
Example: I was a good way through Deus Ex. My friend was over, and saw me playing. He instantly asked about my stats. Apparently, I was relying too much on hacking and non-heavy weapon combat (I was trying to play with stealth). He went on about how I'd be twice as far in the game if I had payed next to no attention to anything besides guns. He yelled at me for at least ten minutes before I got fed up and just quit the game. I never finished it, because I didn't want to start all over and he said "I told you so" after dying more than twice on any part.
Did it ever occur to you that you chose stealth because that's what you wanted to do?

Fuck what your friend thinks to be totally honest, you don't have to start again because going in loud and proud is faster and would of had you further in the game.
You can play with hacking and non heavy weapon combat if you want, you don't have to start again, your game is not ruined.

Seems to me like you just have an atrocious friend who thinks stating the obvious is being better.
"Using more damaging weapons will get you through the game faster!"
Really!?
What a revelation.

WildSeraph said:
I know a LOT of you are going to abhor me for saying this, but I feel I need to say it.

So, I was talking to some people about Dungeon Fighter Online, an MMORPG, and we were on the subject of Skill builds. Now, I'm not an expert at this game, and I simply asked what skills were good to get for one of the game's classes. I was directed to a "Skill build simulator", that crunches exact numbers for every level of every skill in the game! Using this, I discovered that my build was "terrible", yet I've been getting by pretty well with it.

Apparently, you're NOT supposed to base your stats and skills on what you use often and what you don't! No, every single aspect of customization this game comes down to whether the simulator likes it or not. This got me thinking about other RPGs I've played. In every single one of them, somebody's complained that I was doing things completely wrong. I've been forced by others to start over, no matter how well I play, even if it's a single-player game! I then began to ask myself questions: Why is it that, if I don't do everything PERFECT, I've screwed up? How can so many people (every RPG fan I've ever met) care so much about what a computer or walkthrough says? Why does everybody else get all of this Skill and Stat and Equipment stuff, yet I always "ruin" my characters completely? And most importantly: How many RPGs have REAL customization? Do RPGs really have billions of customization options? Or do they have three or four "options", and a billion fuckups?
MMOs and single player RPGS are different for the fact that you'll be competing against other players using optimized builds in one and not the other.
That's why people use stats simulators, hell go look at the math people do on Elitist jerks for World of Warcraft.
They're optimizing their build so that they squeeze the absolute most out of their character.
You don't have to do that at all to get by in single player RPGs, comparing the two is completely absurd.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I suck at RPG's since I usually end up maxing Attack Power and Health/Armor. Still, I have fun making ridiculously overpowered guys who cry when a mage or whatever shows up. It doesn't matter if I can't beat the game with my character, that's the role I play and have fun doing it. Try doing it like that, make the ROLE PLAYING aspect more important than actually beating the game and see if that helps.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I remember when I was raiding with my warrior in WOW, a lot of them were throwing numbers in "spreadsheets" to base their gear/talent/etc. decisions on. Not surprisingly, they often got wildly different or flat out wrong answers. I wont pretend I was a master at the whole DPS warrior gig, but I knew what I was doing. Keeping it simple is the best way to approach that sort of crap.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
play for the fun not what people tell you too and if they keep pushing drop them and move on

Con Carne

Nov 12, 2009
It sounds more like you're talking about JUST MMO's. and you also don't sound like you're a hardcore player who is out for the best raid time, or most dps or any of that bs. It seems more like you're a casual gamer. If so, then f*** what everyone else thinks about your character build. You're playing for you and that is all. If having a party means that much to you, then you should go out and seek like minded individuals who are as casual as you are.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
WildSeraph said:
TerranReaper said:
If you have doubts, you can try that build and see the differences in comparison with your own build. There are always optimal builds in RPGs, both multiplayer and single-player, it's just a matter if you give a crap or not. Also, Pokemon is not as simple as you think it is unless you know how to do proper EV spreads and damage calculations.
To the Pokemon thing, I've seen 8-year-olds that have beaten the Elite Four. I'm 16, and the farthest I've gotten in a Pokemon game is the sixth gym. There's something wrong here.
Not really, you're just looking in the wrong direction. There is more to pokemon than stats, you can build a team around any pokemon that you personally like and EV's have little to do with the regular story (yeah, you can min-max them and things will be easier, but really... it doesn't matter). I've never bothered with them. What IS important in pokemon is type. Diamond and Pearl specifically have the "type checker" function that helps you figure out what is good against which types. (or if you like pretty pictures, head over to serebii.net and check out their type chart [http://serebii.net/games/type.shtml]. don't worry about the bottom ones, the single types are all you need.) Then you should train yourself to recognize types. Many are fairly obvious: if it has wings, it's probably Flying type, if it looks like a rock, then it's the Rock type, if it's a fish or swims, it's Water type, etc... (there are some oddballs, but you'll learn quickly what those are when you encounter them). Once you figure that out, Pokemon will become much easier.

From the specific to the general: You should never feel like there is only one way to play an RPG. Anyone who says there is simply wrong. RPGs (at least the good RPGs) are all about figuring out what to do next. Am I strong enough to beat this boss? Why can't I defeat this Gym Leader? What can I do differently? Can I use a different strategy? Just like any good game, strategies can and should should be dynamic. You experiment to find something you like, play until it doesn't work anymore (sometimes this will be rather quick), examine why it didn't work and adjust accordingly, then experiment to find something new that you like, rinse, repeat. Just remember, examining what went wrong includes non-stat-based mechanics as well (like Pokemon type, tactics, defense options, knowing your enemy... all of that). (Hah, the only way to play an RPG is not to have only one way to play... irony!)

Unfortunately, it is true that there are usually one or two "best" options when raising RPG characters. But if you're feeling constrained by those, then... well, you need better friends. The key is not to get discouraged when you lose/die. Because you will lose. And when you lose, you can figure out why you lost and try new tactics the next time (aka. grow and evolve, dare I say, "level up" as a player).

If none of that appeals to you, then maybe RPGs just aren't your kind of game.

PS. Holy wall of text, Batman! Sorry about that... here's an Extra Credits [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2590-Choice-and-Conflict] that is sort of relevant. Hope this helps, and have fun!

tjcross

Apr 14, 2008
i'm an rpg fan and i don't really care about who chooses what the only rule i really follow is "in fallout always max intelligence for max skill points per level" everything else i puzzle through.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Look, there isn't a "correct" way to play your game. Especially since it's YOUR game, not anyone else's. I just jump in RPGs, the simulators can go to hell. Your games exist solely for your enjoyment, not for some math addict's.

FollowUp

Mar 25, 2010
I don't think you have a problem with RPG's, you have some friends that are perfectionists. Just play the game, I always build characters for fun, not for perfection. It makes me a bad WoW player, but I have more fun than my perfectionist cousin does.

Supp

Nov 17, 2009
This can't be true for single player RPGs. In single player, the only way to truly gauge which strategy is more effective is which is faster.

Quite obviously not everyone is a speed runner.

Quite obviously, optimizing your strategy doesn't matter. Even if some people can beat Pokemon in under two hours without major bugs/an emulator, you should hardly consider their strategy for beating the game superior to someone who trains an entire team as they go along. After all, that way is usually more fun.

Zoroastres

Sep 13, 2007
WildSeraph said:
Dungeon Fighter Online, an MMORPG,.
Two things: firstly, if you're going to make a thread about ~all~ RPGs, you ought to be a bit more specific than one obscure MMO and, "everything else." In any sort of argument, really, speceficity is a necessity.

WildSeraph said:
and we were on the subject of Skill builds. Now, I'm not an expert at this game, and I simply asked what skills were good to get for one of the game's classes. I was directed to a "Skill build simulator", that crunches exact numbers for every level of every skill in the game! Using this, I discovered that my build was "terrible", yet I've been getting by pretty well with it.

Apparently, you're NOT supposed to base your stats and skills on what you use often and what you don't!
I don't think I've ever seen a game where any one build will cripple you. The point of games is to have fun... with an RPG, or RTS or shooter... there will always be some tactics, equipment or way of customization that will yield superior results than another. Playing games, regardless of genres, is typically about discovering these things on your own. From what you've said, you were having a fine time with this game, but suddenly decided you were having an awful time because someone--no, worse, something--indicated that you were doing it "wrong."

I think the root of this problem has nothing to do with games, but rather with your own disposition and susceptibility to suggestion.

WildSeraph said:
No, every single aspect of customization this game comes down to whether the simulator likes it or not.
This is true of every game, regardless of genre, like I stated earlier. Who will win, a Zergling or a Protoss? It depends on which unit is favored by the program. These is where numerical statistics, ratings, and other mathy-ideas come into play. What you're saying here, essentially, is that you have a problem with the number 2 being greater than the number 1.

WildSeraph said:
This got me thinking about other RPGs I've played. In every single one of them, somebody's complained that I was doing things completely wrong.
That's not possible. The only goal of any RPG is to move forward. The only way not to move forward is not to play the game at all. Or to simply fail at understanding the very simple concepts at play--like using ice magic on ice-demons, repeatedly healing them, etc., etc. As long as you're progressing, you cannot be doing anything "wrong."

You want an example of how to play a game wrong?

Stick the controller in your mouth and chew on the buttons. That's doing it wrong.

WildSeraph said:
I've been forced by others to start over, no matter how well I play, even if it's a single-player game!
No one can force you to do anything. If we could, I'd force you to grow a damned backbone. This is a problem with YOU, not a game, not a genre of games, and not "games" plural.

WildSeraph said:
How can so many people (every RPG fan I've ever met) care so much about what a computer or walkthrough says?
It's not what the "computer" is telling them, or a walkthrough. It's about objective stats. You know, that basic-comprehension thing I've been going on about. A sword that does 10-12 damage will ALWAYS be superior to a sword that does 4-6 damage. This isn't subjective. This is not open to opinion or debate. This is FACT.

WildSeraph said:
Why does everybody else get all of this Skill and Stat and Equipment stuff, yet I always "ruin" my characters completely?
I'm not going to insult your intelligence by assuming you're too stupid to play the game: rather, I'll say that odds are the only thing "ruining" your characters is YOUR decision that they're ruined. In all liklihood, it's probably a GROSS overreation.

WildSeraph said:
And most importantly: How many RPGs have REAL customization? Do RPGs really have billions of customization options? Or do they have three or four "options", and a billion fuckups?
Most RPGs. That's kind of a hallmark of the genre. Levelling up, equiping items, using stat points, learning abilities, etc., etc. Generally speaking, in almost every RPG the differences in how a character is customized become less and less important as time moves on. The consequences for foolish choices are generally pretty minor. As with most things in games, the idea here is for you to learn what works and doesn't work when you customize your character, and then to change your actions in the game accordingly.

The game wants you to think. By outsourcing that thought to, I assume, online message boards, you're omitting that crucial step.

WildSeraph said:
This has turned me off from the entire RPG genre. And, in case you haven't noticed, a LOT of games these days have Stats and Skills and all that jazz. I don't want to go the rest of my life unable to enjoy these games. So please, Escapist. Convince me that I'm horribly, horribly wrong.
You have two paths to take here.

Path 1:
1. Don't understand something.
2. Get Angry.
3. Give Up.

That's the path you seem to be on now, with a 4th option--whine online.

Then there's Path 2...

Path 2:
1. Don't understand something
2. Think about it.
3. Either come to an understanding, or discuss what you don't understand with someone else.
4. Achieve comprehension.
5. Play the game, have some fun, learn some crap.

WildSeraph said:
EDIT: It's not just people I play with that are unimpressed with me. I've found "Easy" games seriously hard, and I'm positive some of it is actually because of my decisions. Maybe I just think differently from everyone else, but a stat build in a game that I thought was pretty solid has, more than once, made it a LOT harder. It can't be ALL others' fault. I'm seriously bad when it comes to RPG elements, even in simple games like Pokemon.
As vague as your post is, I don't think the problem is how you think, but rather that you seem violently opposed to thinking in general.

If you don't like thinking, don't play RPGs. And avoid the RTS genre, too. And puzzle games. Any sort of games with multiple endings, any sort of game where you're ever given a choice. I guess that really only leaves super-linear first-person shooters and platforming games. Good luck with those.

WildSeraph

Jan 5, 2011
Zoroastres said:
I'm not going to insult your intelligence by assuming you're too stupid to play the game...
Zoroastres said:
I don't think the problem is how you think, but rather that you seem violently opposed to thinking in general.

If you don't like thinking, don't play RPGs. And avoid the RTS genre, too. And puzzle games. Any sort of games with multiple endings, any sort of game where you're ever given a choice. I guess that really only leaves super-linear first-person shooters and platforming games. Good luck with those.
I like how you tell me you're not going to insult my intelligence, then blatantly make fun of me and my apparent "violent opposition to thinking", suggesting that I only try brainless games. Obviously, there's no possible way I could merely see things differently from others. Do you feel you've accomplished something?