Convince Me To Stay

ShadowTrooper-A-E

Aug 20, 2012
get into a secondary hobby to balance things out for a awhile, forget all this anti gaming news crap go play things like for say pen @ paper games(pathfinder, world of darkness, fallout pnp exc) or tabletop like war hammer or war machine
(though getting buddies who are interested are required).if you need to place to start for info out while some may say 4chan is the pit of the internet in some cases it is /tg/or traditional games can get you started also if you sadly don't have friends go to your nearest tabletop/card gaming store they should usually have game days, hope this assists you good luck.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Machine Man 1992 said:
Whelp, I think it's time to throw in the towel.

All of them. All of it. Tired of the extremists. Tired of the 2deep4u pseudo-intellectuals. Tired of everything being teh sexist/racist.

I'm tired of the constant calls to be taken seriously. Taken seriously by whom exactly?
I have to ask these 2 questions.

Q1: How many hours do you spend actually playing games compared to been on the internet, reading and talking about games? It's all too easy to get too caught up in the latter that you stop playing games. I've noticed that over the last 3 years or so gaming sites have becoming increasingly venomus and cynical.

Q2: What games do you play and what type of gamer are you? Are you like most core gamers, ie reads news sites and only plays the next hyped games and lets current gaming trends dictate what play.

My advice is to drastically cut down been on the net talking about games and spend more time actually playing them, when you do visit the net avoid editorials and debate / comments like the plague since if that's all you surround yourself with, then it's no wonder you feel negative yourself. Instead try looking for sources of gaming news that tend to be positive or factual. Siliconera is imo the best site for Japanese gaming news, they try to keep away from the negative BS that plagues sites like Dtiod as much as possible, including the comments section is modderated to stamp out dumb fanboyism and ranters.

You Tube is another good place to find gamers who are still positive and passionate about games, imo the best lot are retrogamers and collectors like Happy Console Gamer and The All Gen Gamer, ppl who don't care if a game is new or old they just play good games that they like and makes them happy.

The good thing about retro gaming is that it's a great way for getting into new genres especially niche and competitive game As the oldies tend to simpler and don't have the baggage of iteration just for the sake of selling sequels.

Are you into handhelds? I've only had a DS and PSP for a few weeks and I've hardly turned on my 360 and PC since. It's like travelling back to the PS2 era with quality Japanese games with interesting mechanics.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Akratus said:
Machine Man 1992 said:
Akratus said:
You don't like console gaming. So switch to the pc! Ofcourse you dislike gaming if you are looking for quality games on consoles. You have to see the other side of the coin untill you dismiss the entire hobby.
And that's an entire bag of cats by itself.
PC's cost wayyyy more that I care for, and instead of firmware update and junk data, I get viruses and esoteric system requirments.

Although, maybe I just have leftover burned feelings after constantly having to pass over games because my computer was short a hundred dollar upgrade.
It's a myth that pc's cost more than consoles. Depending on your graphical satisfactional needs, they cost the exact same. You can get a pc, replace some parts ever 4 years or so and the cost would be nearly identical to getting a console every 4 years.

Only fools get virusses, not visiting shady websites or unknown links, and having something like AVG Free installed and an anti-spyware program, anda yearly malware scan can keep everything an ordinary internet user might not want at bay.

I guess the cost depends on what you want to and do spend.
I actually agree in regards to the cost. I used to be of the mind that it costs too much as well but if you look in the right places it can be quite cheap. You don't need to play every game on ultra settings to enjoy them. I would have suggested upgrading slightly more often than every four years until I remembered it's the OS that's propelling my total bill upwards.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
Your problems are with gamers and the AAA industry. I say ignore the gamers. They don't matter all that much. What matters is that you enjoy the games you play. Also, none of the things you were raging about really affect the Indie scene. Seriously, though. Go indie.
Edit: You seem to be complaining mostly about the Console scene and know nothing about the PC scene. No, it doesn't cost $3,000 to get a good pc that will run everything. No, you won't get a million viruses. No, your computer will not explode after one year. Invest in a solid system ($1,000 is overkill, honestly) and you won't have to do much other than occasionally replace a part or two every few years. Its really not as hard as people make it out to be...
Plus, you don't need a separate gaming rig and a regular computer for every day use. No shame in using one computer for what you need...

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I don't see the problem. This is something almost everyone goes through sooner or later, and likely more than once.
The solution? Hiatus. Just take a break from gaming, for however long it takes for you to miss it, and do something else. Whenever I get like this I just use my consoles for watching movies, otherwise I spend my time reading, playing music, taking mini-vacations, or whatever else tickles my fancy.
You need some variety, that's all. And besides, after some time off the modern day games industry bullshit won't seem as crushing anymore too.