Cooking disaster

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
So you're just cooking a meal when suddenly you make one mistake and poof. All your hard work is undone in one boneheaded mistake. What was that mistake for you and how recently was that?

Well, there was this one time I was going to salt a stew I was making for myself when I was going to University last year. I reached for a mix of salt and spices I had put into a shaker myself but instead I grabbed Onion Powder without realizing it and applied it enthusiastically before the mistake was noticed... Well, the stew sucked but I ate it anyway because I had spent all that time cooking it and I was hungry dammit! Never grabbed for spices and seasoning without looking again after that though.

Well, what was the last cooking mistake you made that ruined a meal?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Define "ruined".

After visiting my friend in Chicago a few years ago and eating deep dish pizza, I decided to try to recreate it.

I got a special pan, made some and spread out the dough. Layered pepperoni and cheese, then topped it with about 1/4 an inch of pizza sauce. Not paste, just regular, soupy sauce. I had hoped baking it would thicken it up. It did not. It was a mess, didn't taste bad, but was just a sloppy mess.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I burned some corn dogs the other day, although they were still edible. As far as ruining a real meal, I can't even remember. Probably involved my parents' gas grill and its tendency to turn into a raging inferno if you're not paying attention. Dat grease buildup.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
A few months back, I was making my tried and true Pho recipe but was trying a different kind of noodle, buckwheat to be specific. Boy was that a bad idea. I added too many noodles and they sucked up pretty much all the broth and consequently, the flavour. It ended up being a pot of brutal tasting wet noodles as opposed to soup. I couldn't finish the leftovers, it just did not taste good.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
I was trying to make hash browns from this frozen processed stuff. The instructions said something to the effect of put them in a pan, cover, flip after x amount of time, cover, cook some more, then ta-daaaa~ Hashbrowns! Man, I don't know what I did but they were near burnt on the bottom but barely warm in the middle. It was weird, and while it wasn't inedible, it certainly wasn't tasty. This was about a year ago now I think.

Not to toot my own horn, but I would say I'm competent in the kitchen. The biggest problem I usually have is related to seasoning, usually under seasoning, but nothing too major.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
Was doing a homemade nacho cheese recipe and added too much corn starch

it was quite solid after....

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
For me it is generally cooking 3-4 things all at the same time. I get cluster mind fucked and usually over cook one of the 3-4 things.

I am still a beginner at cooking, so I have much to learn, not easy when I am being self taught. Now I am expected to be cooking dinner for Christmas Eve says my Aunt. Dinner for like six people, it will be a new challenge for sure.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I cook a lot (read: 2 times a day every day), and I've found there aren't many mistakes you can make that can't be corrected with the right touch. Oh but I did once find that mistake that couldn't be fixed.

So I was cooking raviolis, was putting the last touches on my pesto sauce, and needed a small drizzle of oil. I accidentally grabbed the Balsamic Vinegar, and before I could notice, my brother asked me a question, so I didn't know and drizzled that over my pesto sauce. Ruined it and I couldn't figure out any way to fix it. So I just started over. I went through like 3 bags of Basil that day =C.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
On the second leg of doing several twice baked potatoes, I went away for a bit and some grease left over from a previous cooking event caught fire. No actual damage done to anything, but the smoke left a nasty aftertaste on the food.

For another tale, several thanksgivings back, my father served up habanero flavored apple pie. For some reason or another there were no labels on a few of the spice bottles, and his nose was stuffed that day as he was looking for the cinnamon.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Baking and cooking is like the same thing, right? Only story I've got is a baking one, so here we go.

Tried baking brownies, from a mix. Messed up tablespoon and teaspoon, and needless to say the brownies were not edible.

Oct 10, 2011
"You know, I think this soup needs some garlic"
-carefully tips the jar to pour just a little
-drops jar and it lands upside-down in the soup
-removes jar and tries to eat soup anyway
-Vomits

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
As I am a mad scientist in the kitchen, making concoctions that look terrible but taste GREAT (FOR SCIENCE!), I can safely say that I do not ruin anything I set out to make. No, I am a good cook. When I experiment, I know what I'm doing and it's not so complex that it CAN screw up so easily. When I am making something out of recipe - which I am decent at - my food turns out just fine, delicious.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
microwave popcorn set fire to my mother's curtains when i forgot they were in the microwave.
and me and my little sister made pizza when we were younger. i was going to take them out of the oven and i lost the tray and smeared warm bubbling cheese down my face and front side. it hurt.
i also managed to make the coffeemaker explode when i used it

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
I'm trying to remember if I ever cooked anything right in Home Ec. classes at school. Nothing is coming to mind. I either left something switched off, overcooked something or forgot some ingredients altogether. I actually preferred the sewing classes.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Well, I honestly never have, by accident, ruined a meal. I have, sometimes, when I simply started cooking and lacked any sign of skill and logic on the subject.

However, I have messed things up by timing stuff horribly: By starting to cook the things that are done first, so I'm forced to either let it cool down and heat it up again after that, or eat burnt food.

Captcha: Thumbs up.

Why thanks, Captcha.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Loner Jo Jo said:
Not to toot my own horn, but I would say I'm competent in the kitchen. The biggest problem I usually have is related to seasoning, usually under seasoning, but nothing too major.
Yah, same problem... though it's not that bad... you can compensate by declaring them 'subtle flavours'... -_-

OT: Ehm... ever tried making flapjacks without knowing what you're doing? Yeah, tried it when in halls at uni, came out the oven just great, ate one while hot and it was delish... but when they cooled down... fuck, you could knock out a rhino if you threw one of these flapjacks at its head.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I was making breakfast (Cornflakes, milk and a glass of coke) and I poured the coke into my bowl of cornflakes...
Hahahaha! People actually do that? Like, it isn't just a thing in films? A-hahahah!

*ahem*

I just have the one ingredient or seasoning I get really OTT with and apply in liberal amounts to anything regardless of if it needs it. This months is cinnamon, previously we have had garlic, pepper, chilli and mustard.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
Worst mistake I made in a kitchen.
Beef jus,from start to finish can take up to two days to make.I burnt it in the last stages of reducing on the second day and had to bin it.Two days labour down the sink.